I've tried a couple different thermometer apps on my phone, but the results are always much warmer than the true temperature. Does it take my Droid's thermometer a while to register the temperature, or are these free apps just inferior?
    01-12-2011 01:53 PM
    The temperature sensor is for the battery, it will almost always be warmer than ambient temperature unless your phone is powered off (and then it's hard to read the sensor data...). To get a decent temperature reading you'll need an external sensor, you'd be better off just pinging a local weather station for the real outside temps.
    01-12-2011 01:59 PM
    To get a decent temperature reading you'll need an external sensor, you'd be better off just pinging a local weather station for the real outside temps.
    Definitely. Be sure not to use your D2 as a cooking thermometer either! One dip into a pot of gravy to test the temp will ruin the phone

Rev.
    01-12-2011 03:57 PM
    Ooooohhhh...

That would explain why it said it was 80 on an icy cold bus today.

I suppose it's still handy to know if my phone is overheating.

Thanks.
    01-12-2011 04:11 PM
    My phone used to heat up to temps over 102 degrees. Since I changed to the extended battery BP7X my phone has run much cooler and longer before charging.
    01-12-2011 06:46 PM
    So what are the temperature apps advertised as? Are they really putting them in the market with the suggestion that you can read air temp with it if it actually pulls from the battery temp sensor? - I've never looked at one so I'm asking honestly.

Rev.
    01-12-2011 07:57 PM
    The first one, simply called Thermometer, seemed to. It said to use it alongside a regular thermometer to calibrate it.
    01-13-2011 11:48 AM