Another "Got My Phone Wet" Story

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
My phone drank my 12 oz latte. It was in a case, but no screen protector. I took the advice of others on here and pulled the battery and dropped the phone in a bag of rice. I didn't see any moisture because I snatched the phone up so fast and dismembered it. Upon closer inspection, I did see some vapor in the lens of the camera. When I put it all back together (I know, I should have let it sit for longer), it booted up, then gave the black screen-plug-in-usb-cable-battery-ok message. Took it in to a Verizon retail store and they said it lost all the programming and would have to go to a corporate store. The rep also told me to not tell about the latte. Are you kidding me?! I believe in karma and would never lie about something about that. Bagged it up again and today, it's working perfectly. Two questions: while I'm not using it, should I keep it in the rice for a couple more days, and 2: when can I exhale? I don't want a problem child on my hands. :confused:

Thanks. When I told my friends about this, they asked me when I'm going to get the iPhone. Pffffft. Fine phone, but I like my tough little D2.

meyer

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If it works, you should be fine. My BIL got his wet, threw it in rice for just a few hours and it worked fine. Hasn't had a problem yet. I mean if you're not using it, I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep in the rice.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Meyer. Still working. Phew! Dodged a big, fat, latte bullet. Maybe it's because it was nonfat and no sugar...I know have a piece of rice rattling around when I shake, it though, so I'm not shaking it ;0)

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Reminds me of when my son tries to take a bath with my wives iphone 8 hours in a bowl of rice did the trick. But I don't know you you could have lost your system info that's real odd I've had the battery out of my d2. For over a day and it booted right up with no loss of data

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Reminds me of when my son tries to take a bath with my wives iphone 8 hours in a bowl of rice did the trick. But I don't know you you could have lost your system info that's real odd I've had the battery out of my d2. For over a day and it booted right up with no loss of data
Yeah, the "black screen of death" was odd; the Verizon people said everything was gone, and it appeared so for about 8 hours, then it came back up without so much as a memo, text, or calendar entry lost. Hopefully your son has realized by now that taking the phone in the bathtub isn't a good idea...:p

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Update: The speaker jack is now only working on one side. Bluh. Getting a refurb on Tuesday. My Storm did the same thing. I guess the smart thing would be to use a Blue Tooth device, but I just hate those things, soooo, I don't think the latte had anything to do with it, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2