View Poll Results: Yah or Nay to Droid 2 Protection

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yah, I cover my beautiful droid 2 with a case, cover, ect.

9 32.14%
  • Naa, I like mine bare, but I take care of it and it stays really nice.

16 57.14%
  • I alternate and sometimes use a case(...) sometimes i dont.

2 7.14%
  • I dont care what my phone looks like or what condition it's in.

1 3.57%
    I've seen recent posts about people not being able to cover their droid 2 , and i am almost in the same boat. Though my reason is not entirely due to the beauty of the device but instead regarding protection of it.

I just got a case for my droid 2 global and used it for a week, i pulled if off for the weekend and i was met with a bunch of scratches on the chrome lining from little crumbs getting into the case from my pocket and then rubbing and scrapping. So now i dont know what to do.

Use a case and risk blemishes, dont use a case and risk dropping and huge damages, or try and go back and fourth.

What do you do?
    03-01-2011 01:31 AM
    I use seidio innocase.

Has anyone ever used a decal skin? I'm wondering how good the quality is.

Laptop skins, cell phone skins iPad skins and Apple iphone skins
    03-01-2011 09:10 AM
    I leave it naked. I just don't like those shells because they make it thick. I like to be able to just slide it into my pocket.
    03-01-2011 11:35 AM
    No case. The cases I have found that are thick enough to really protect if dropped, make it more difficult to use the top row of the keyboard.
    03-01-2011 12:22 PM
    03-01-2011 12:55 PM
    I use a case because I have no desire to keep my phone in my pocket.
    The case has a belt clip, that makes it so much easier to get to.
    03-01-2011 02:16 PM
    No case here either. I'm not clumsy and am rather careful so I pretty much never drop my devices. I keep it in a belt pouch, would never keep it in my pocket. Actually wouldn't keep any phone in my pocket, too much lint and dust. I used to keep my Motorola Razr V3 in my pocket and a bunch of fine pocket dust eventually got in and dusted up the whole outside screen from the inside. Not too big a deal since it was the outside screen but still.

As for the screen, it's made of Gorilla glass, no need for a protector. It boggles my mind why people get these newer phones with Gorilla glass and put a screen protector on it. And some of the screen protectors looks awful, hazy and spots with bubbles and peeling up. What's the point in having the phone look like it's a used phone when all you're trying to do is keep the screen new looking longer? If you're not ever looking at a fresh new screen, since it's coated in some crappy plastic the whole time you use it, it defeats the purpose.

Even worse, it annoys me when I see people leave the *factory* plastic film on their devices! I'm like why??? Totally defeats the purpose lol.

Rev.
    03-02-2011 10:03 AM
    I use the Seidio Innocase as well. No issues with the slide-out keyboard at all.
    03-02-2011 04:50 PM
    I use a case because I have no desire to keep my phone in my pocket.
    The case has a belt clip, that makes it so much easier to get to.
    What kind of holster do you have?
    03-02-2011 09:43 PM
    What kind of holster do you have?
    I have the bodyglove case with the kickstand.
    03-03-2011 06:30 PM
    Now I'm starting to think about getting a case. My device is in perfect condition and I want to keep it that way. I may need to pick up one today. It would be just my luck that I drop my phone for the first time and it gets damaged. I plan to keep my D2G for a long time.
    03-10-2011 10:17 AM
    Now I'm starting to think about getting a case. My device is in perfect condition and I want to keep it that way. I may need to pick up one today. It would be just my luck that I drop my phone for the first time and it gets damaged. I plan to keep my D2G for a long time.
    Well the question is... how likely are you to drop your phone? How many times have you dropped other phones in the past or other tech devices? I had my iPhone 3G for two full years and never once dropped it. All I ever had on it was a plastic film screen protector. Before that I had a Razr V3 for like 2 years and never dropped or damaged that one. <heck... knock on wood now! lol>

On the other hand, my dopey co-worker drops his phone all the time. Not saying anyone is instantly dopey for dropping it, obviously sh*t happens. But he's the type of person that leaves for the day and every single day comes back 10-15 minutes later cause he forgot his wallet, or phone, or whatever.

So, it also depends upon your personality or attentiveness with the products use. Just like how at my firm people destroy their new blackberry's in under 3 months and mine is still pristine after years.

Rev.
    03-10-2011 04:18 PM
    Well the question is... how likely are you to drop your phone? How many times have you dropped other phones in the past or other tech devices? I had my iPhone 3G for two full years and never once dropped it. All I ever had on it was a plastic film screen protector. Before that I had a Razr V3 for like 2 years and never dropped or damaged that one. <heck... knock on wood now! lol>

On the other hand, my dopey co-worker drops his phone all the time. Not saying anyone is instantly dopey for dropping it, obviously sh*t happens. But he's the type of person that leaves for the day and every single day comes back 10-15 minutes later cause he forgot his wallet, or phone, or whatever.

So, it also depends upon your personality or attentiveness with the products use. Just like how at my firm people destroy their new blackberry's in under 3 months and mine is still pristine after years.

Rev.
    I don't drop my phone ever. But its the thought that it could happen that makes me want to protect it.
    03-10-2011 09:08 PM
    I don't drop my phone ever. But its the thought that it could happen that makes me want to protect it.
    The next question is how much would you drop it if you thought it would be protected. People tend to be less careful with phones in cases so "protected" phones end up being a wash.

The other consideration is how long do you expect to keep your phone? Isn't it really just a tool? I went through a phase of "everything needs to be mint" but then I realized that I have a collection of mint outdated tech that I'm throwing out. Nicks and scratches happen with or without protection, as long as the device is usable for the <2 years I'll keep it does it really matter if there's a dent in the corner as long as the screen is intact.

Couple that with the idea that you just spent $200 for a phone, why spend an extra $20 for a case, $50 for a bigger battery, $75 for a docking station, and all these other proprietary upgrades that get thrown out when the next best phone comes out. With my Droids I'm only buying generic accessories. External USB batteries are great, no damage without cases, standard cables, generic docks - these all work with my Droids, my wife's BlackBerry, and we shouldn't need to change anything out when we upgrade so our $200 phone will cost us $200 instead of my usual $400+.
    03-11-2011 06:32 AM
    The next question is how much would you drop it if you thought it would be protected. People tend to be less careful with phones in cases so "protected" phones end up being a wash.

The other consideration is how long do you expect to keep your phone? Isn't it really just a tool? I went through a phase of "everything needs to be mint" but then I realized that I have a collection of mint outdated tech that I'm throwing out. Nicks and scratches happen with or without protection, as long as the device is usable for the <2 years I'll keep it does it really matter if there's a dent in the corner as long as the screen is intact.

Couple that with the idea that you just spent $200 for a phone, why spend an extra $20 for a case, $50 for a bigger battery, $75 for a docking station, and all these other proprietary upgrades that get thrown out when the next best phone comes out. With my Droids I'm only buying generic accessories. External USB batteries are great, no damage without cases, standard cables, generic docks - these all work with my Droids, my wife's BlackBerry, and we shouldn't need to change anything out when we upgrade so our $200 phone will cost us $200 instead of my usual $400+.
    You are assuming that I will discard my phone when I get a new one. I usually sell my old phones on eBay. So in that case keeping my device in mint condition would be an investment because I could ask for more money when trying to sell it. But I do understand what you mean about it just being a tool and that I should expect normal wear and tear. Its funny that I think about protecting my phone all the time, but I have a couple of laptops that cost twice as much and whdn they get scratches on the body, it doesn't phase me. One of the reasons I haven't bought any protection for my phine is that I think its a scam. I believe that phone manufacturers have frightened us into believing that we have to protect our phones because they are so fragile. A friend of mine works for AT&T and he says that he has a quota on accesories. They have to push the cases and screen protectorss down our throats. I had a droid X unprotected and never got a scratch on it. So I have decided not to pursue a case or screen protector for my Droid 2 Global.
    03-13-2011 08:30 AM
    You are assuming that I will discard my phone
    when I get a new one. I usually sell my old phones on eBay.
    You're right, the hassle of selling my outdated tech was never worth it to me (one or two bad eBay experiences in the past...). Besides, it's kind of like optimizing your cashflow on buying new cars - you save a lot more money by driving it into the ground than by trading in every two years no matter how much you can sell it for used.

Even then, consider the amount you spend on the case vs. the amount of extra you get for the phone. I went through two $20 cases for my Storm, would a "mint" used Storm fetch me over $40 more than a "minor blemishes" used Storm? Or would the lack of a case have made me more careful and it would have been mint anyway?

My Droids are a very different matter, they've got WiFi so they won't be sitting idle. My wife may drop to a feature phone and get my leftover as a small WiFi tablet. After that I've got nieces and nephews who would love one as a birthday/xmas present - all much bigger payoff than what I could get off eBay and little nicks don't diminish it at all.
    03-13-2011 09:02 AM
    You're right, the hassle of selling my outdated tech was never worth it to me (one or two bad eBay experiences in the past...). Besides, it's kind of like optimizing your cashflow on buying new cars - you save a lot more money by driving it into the ground than by trading in every two years no matter how much you can sell it for used.

Even then, consider the amount you spend on the case vs. the amount of extra you get for the phone. I went through two $20 cases for my Storm, would a "mint" used Storm fetch me over $40 more than a "minor blemishes" used Storm? Or would the lack of a case have made me more careful and it would have been mint anyway?

My Droids are a very different matter, they've got WiFi so they won't be sitting idle. My wife may drop to a feature phone and get my leftover as a small WiFi tablet. After that I've got nieces and nephews who would love one as a birthday/xmas present - all much bigger payoff than what I could get off eBay and little nicks don't diminish it at all.
    I like the way you think. That makes a lot of sense to me.
    03-13-2011 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD