Need to unroot when Ginderbread comes out?

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
(Edit: *ahem* The subject should read "gingerbread," not "ginderbread." :-[ )

I have rooted my D2G using z4root, and the *only* things I have done with it are install setCPU and a wireless hotspot app. So, my phone is basically just like an unrooted D2G, but with the ability to underclock and get free wireless tethering.

Whenever the Gingerbread update arrives, do I need to unroot before installing it? I assume that even if I don't have to unroot I'll lose my root access when I update, but I just want to know if I *need* to unroot before updating. Like, will it kill my phone to update while rooted?

Thanks, everyone!! :)

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It would be best to do so yes. Upgrading almost always causes you to loose root anyway, and you are a lot less likely to have problems with the update if you unroot and reverse any customizations you did to the phone that required root access to do.

Reactions: BluePlate

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
if it is anything like the droid x update was, youll have to be bone stock to take the GB update, meaning no root, no framework mods, nothing.

if you need to go back to stock easily, you can sbf, which you can find instructions for here. the downside to sbf'ing of course, is that it resets your phone back to square one, so youll have to end up re-downloading all of your apps and whatnot.

and a disclaimer to all: so far, a root exploit has not been found for the DX gingerbread update, and i would be surprised if the D2 update was any different. so know if you take the OTA, youll probably not have a root solution for a while it is possible that p3droid could do what he did for the DX and create a rooted D2 gingerbread update path, but no guarantees

Reactions: BluePlate

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
if it is anything like the droid x update was, youll have to be bone stock to take the GB update, meaning no root, no framework mods, nothing.

if you need to go back to stock easily, you can sbf, which you can find instructions for here. the downside to sbf'ing of course, is that it resets your phone back to square one, so youll have to end up re-downloading all of your apps and whatnot.

and a disclaimer to all: so far, a root exploit has not been found for the DX gingerbread update, and i would be surprised if the D2 update was any different. so know if you take the OTA, youll probably not have a root solution for a while it is possible that p3droid could do what he did for the DX and create a rooted D2 gingerbread update path, but no guarantees
I used Z4Root as well and did the wireless tether thing, used Startup manager to kill some processes and do Titanium backup. I also uninstalled Need for Speed, which I was unable to do without root. Besides using Z4Root to remove root privileges is there anything else I need to do? I would rather not go the sbf route

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm sad to lose my wireless tether, since it sounds like there might be a wait to get rooted again, but I'm too curious about Gingerbread... :)

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I think Gingerbread looks great, but I don't think I can survive without my root access.

Here's hoping Z4Root will come up with an update (though I'm guessing they blocked the debug-workaround he cleverly used, and that's why a custom ROM might be necessary now)!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084