I'm using my Droid 2 for camera, music player, some games...but it's a brick otherwise. I'm in Iraq, and I suspended my Verizon account back home since I don't have overseas account. But I have general questions that I haven't seen totally answered, so I'm going to post several in this.

1. Can the Droid 2 be set to be used overseas? I don't think I bought the "Global" Droid 2 that I know of...

2. Do updates for the phone's software come over wifi? Or just over the 3G network? I have wifi access.

3. Finally, the standard music player: I'm gathering that it SUCKS! I've had it lock up for me for numerous times, requiring pulling the battery. Also, does anyone know if the player has issues with setting it to play randomly in a playlist? I can swear that the player will grab songs NOT in the playlist when I have it set to random playing while playing a PLAYLIST...urgh, it's very frustrating.

Any suggestions for a better music player?

THanks much!
    06-25-2011 12:57 PM
    I'm in Kuwait. I too have a Droid 2. they are all global as far as I know. Believe me, you don't want to turn on the global feature! I was told I had unlimited global data, but while in the airport in Amsterdam, I got a text from Verizon saying I had just incured a $200.00 global data charge. Ends up that the salesman lied to me and I'm in teh new plan that is $20/Mb. That is totally worthless, IMO.

I use my Droid 2 on wifi only while overseas. For the most part, I have had very little trouble finding a hotspot when needed. Couple that with the hotspot I bought from Watanya here and I never lack for a signal. Don't knwo where in Iraq you are but you might be able to find something like that there. Currently, I'm about 40 miles from the Iraqi boarder.

Good luck and thanks for your service!!!
    Tim
    07-09-2011 12:11 PM
    There is a non-global Droid 2, if you take off the battery cover the D2G has both an SD card and a SIM while the original D2 lacks the larger (and VZW-branded) SIM.

VZW used to have a great unlimited International data plan, but that seems to have been deprecated now. WiFi-only should work pretty well which is what I used on my X in Taiwan, but I don't know if updates are pushed via WiFi (I've gotten my DX updates while connected to WiFi at home, but I'm uncertain if having the ability to connect to the network matters).

One option if you do have a D2G is to try to find a SIM locally. You may need to get VZW to unlock your phone for it to work. Local phone stores (perhaps available from the military?) should sell them prepaid or monthly depending on the duration of your tour.
    07-09-2011 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD