Until about 3 weeks ago, I thought my Verizon/Samsung network extender was a dream come true. I still get perfect 3G service whereas I had NONE before.

However, the GPS has gone mad. I was telling me, and related apps, that I was almost 200 miles from where I really was. A few seconds ago it had me in Seattle, and I live in Detroit!

No power-cycling, no resetting of the router, phone or extender has worked, neither has moving the extender to a million different locations has worked. Please help!
    06-30-2011 10:45 PM
    I have an extender, and I don't see that situation. I don't think the extender affects the GPS radio, your phone should be seeking signals from satellites.

The network extender has a GPS receiver of its own, to facilitate the E911 requirement, but it does not re-broadcast GPS signals or change them to my knowledge.

Are you in Virginia, by chance? The only thing I can think of is if you're coincidentally near where they're testing that new network they just proved interferes with GPS signals.
    07-06-2011 07:59 AM
    I am having the exact same problem. I got a new Verizon Network Extender on eBay. It works good but throws off anything having to do with location. I am in Midland TX. If I run Google maps or gas buddy or weatherbug it points me to Charleston, SC. If I turn off network location on my phone sometimes the gps will give me correct information. And sometimes it will not lock on. I suspect that aGPS data, which is based on cell tower information is being updated via the N.E. which thinks it is located wrong. I am also concerned that E911 information may be incorrect. Ideas?
    07-10-2011 09:30 PM
    Did you guys call VZW and re-register the unit in your name, so you can see it in "My Verizon" online? They will do it no problem; you just have to call them and tell them you bought it second-hand and give them the MAC address (I think). The person who sold it to you might have to somehow un-register it first.

Could be that, I guess. I had to do it first-thing, because I wanted to add the "priority numbers" and to get it to show-up in My Verizon online, I had to call them and have it added to my account.
    07-11-2011 08:22 AM
    I have heard similar issues with Sprints Airave. It reports users in different areas with A-GPS.
    I think if you choose the option to use tower based assisted GPS, its using the Network Extender connection point. That might be a location where your ISP is providing geolocating data or Verizon might be interfacing with the Extender. At least thats what happens on the Spirnt version.

Its possible the two are having related issues since both are CDMA networks. Just a guess.
    07-11-2011 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD