Bootloader - Hearing unlocked and locked?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading different reports that the Bootloader is unlocked like the XOOM, but then other reports saying its locked like the DX2. I have no doubt we will find out tomorrow, but has anyone received any clear information about this from their "sources"?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading different reports that the Bootloader is unlocked like the XOOM, but then other reports saying its locked like the DX2. I have no doubt we will find out tomorrow, but has anyone received any clear information about this from their "sources"?

8 or so more hours of waiting is going to kill you isn?t it?

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Forum admins over on the Moto site have stated it's locked. Dunno if they can be considered official, but isn't looking good.

Somewhat related, but any word on confirmation that it is 2.3.4 as opposed to 2.3.3? (really would like to have Google video chat before giving up the free hotspot I get on my current phone.)

-Suntan

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A locked bootloader isn't the same as a encrypted one IIRC. Even the Droid 1 has a locked bootloader stock.
/pedantic loser moment :p

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the bootloader is encrypted. Hopefully Verizon will approve of Motorola unencrypting it a'la atrix.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that it's locked and that it will likely get unlocked from an update per Moto's new bootloader policy.

Sent from my Gingerbread HTC Speedy.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
8 or so more hours of waiting is going to kill you isn?t it?

-Suntan

Not really, I have already read that it will arrive locked, but it will be unlockable but not unlockable/relockable like the XOOM was. So once it becomes unlocked you can never go back. This is based on first hand knowledge by a user who has seen it in action. So I have some trust in the long term, but no trust in Moto.

djkinetic

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If it's bootloader is anything like the Atrix then flashing any stock SBF will relock the device and u'd have to flash an unlock sbf and issue the unlock command to unlock it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol