I saw in the specs that there is less than 2 gigs of storage for apps. Can someone explain this to me?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    07-08-2011 11:20 PM
    I saw in the specs that there is less than 2 gigs of storage for apps. Can someone explain this to me?

I would hazard a guess that the internal memory has been partitioned in order to specifically keep a certain amount of space always available for apps. Otherwise you might get some camera nutter that takes snaps of everything he or she sees, filling all 16GB (!!) and then not understanding why he or she can't install the latest Facebook update.

I could be wrong.
    07-08-2011 11:23 PM
    i believe it has 16gb of internal space.
    07-08-2011 11:31 PM
    It's 16GB of Internal storage divided into :
    - 1.5GB for apps
    - 11GB for users (music , videos , pictures , whatever)
    - the rest is reserved for the OS

1.5 for apps is still allot & huge improvement over the OG DROID (which have 130MB for apps) , Still it could've been worse , like the Xperia Arc (which have 512mb only for apps)
    07-08-2011 11:54 PM
    It has 1.5gb for apps but you can move them to storage (the rest of the memory) just as you would move it to an SD card.
    IceDree likes this.
    07-09-2011 12:08 AM
    So, let me see if I have this right.

We can look at it as if it has 1.5g of internal and 11g sd card? When you "move to sd card", it takes from the 1.5g and moves to the 11g?

Assuming this, and assuming this internal sd card, if you will, I'm thinking it would be faster storage than what you'd likely get from an actual sd card?
    07-09-2011 03:20 PM
    So, let me see if I have this right.

We can look at it as if it has 1.5g of internal and 11g sd card? When you "move to sd card", it takes from the 1.5g and moves to the 11g?

Assuming this, and assuming this internal sd card, if you will, I'm thinking it would be faster storage than what you'd likely get from an actual sd card?
    Well it's not an internal SD card, it's just internal memory. There is 16 gb and after formatting plus 1.5gb for apps, you have 11gb left. You can move apps to that 11gb like you would an sd card or you can move to an actual sd card if you install one. I am guessing the internal memory is faster.
    07-09-2011 03:46 PM
    Thats kinda what I was getting at. Its almost like it does come with an sd card, but its non removable and likely faster....kinda? On top of which you still get to place another 32g of removable memory.

If this is the case, I think this could really change things up. I know with my d1, I have never removed the card because I'm afraid of nothing working right should i do so, with all the apps moved to sd card. But with this set up, I can swap cards for various media. Like, say, I'm on a trip and want to load a card with movies, then I could load another card with music, and not have to worry about things not working because I moved them to the sd card.

besides, if the internal memory is faster than an sd card, sounds like a big win also.

I guess if people are going to carry spare cards, we need a company to give us a case with slots for storing extra cards, lol.
    07-09-2011 03:54 PM
    the DroidX has this feature but 6GB of app storage nothing else and we can't modify it no matter how hard dev try. I have a boat load apps and barely at 1GB. so with this feature there is no need for apps2SD

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    07-09-2011 03:59 PM
    Thats kinda what I was getting at. Its almost like it does come with an sd card, but its non removable and likely faster....kinda? On top of which you still get to place another 32g of removable memory.

If this is the case, I think this could really change things up. I know with my d1, I have never removed the card because I'm afraid of nothing working right should i do so, with all the apps moved to sd card. But with this set up, I can swap cards for various media. Like, say, I'm on a trip and want to load a card with movies, then I could load another card with music, and not have to worry about things not working because I moved them to the sd card.

besides, if the internal memory is faster than an sd card, sounds like a big win also.

I guess if people are going to carry spare cards, we need a company to give us a case with slots for storing extra cards, lol.
    I popped the 16gb from my D1 in there after removing the system stuff, all my music and pics came up with no problems. I look at it this way: I upgraded to a better screen, a way better keyboard, a faster processor and ended up with twice the memory (ala using my D1 sd card in it) for 120 bucks. Not too shabby.
    07-09-2011 04:00 PM
    You can't move apps to the external SD card. The external card can only be used for media. Kinda BS I think.
    07-09-2011 07:17 PM
    You can't move apps to the external SD card. The external card can only be used for media. Kinda BS I think.
    You are right, I was thinking of where you can set the storage location for windows sync. 1.5gb+11 gb should cover me for apps. You planning on using more?
    07-09-2011 07:45 PM
    again this feature isn't needed. with over a gig of app storage you'll be fine. there is no need for moving apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    07-09-2011 09:17 PM
    I'm thinking that I'll love this feature. Being able to swap cards for media sounds hot to me. Between 1.5 and moving to 11g, I don't see there ever really being a memory issue
    07-09-2011 10:46 PM
    I get tired of the phone mfg's simply making the internal storage, just that internal storage. The DX2 has more app storage, the DX had far more app storage. I do not intend to put video or photo's into the partitioned internal memory, they can all go to and SD card. That's the point.

I expected more internal space and once again Moto screwed this one up. Here's to getting it rooted and the bloatware out, no doubt there is 300+MB of crapware in there.
    07-09-2011 10:47 PM
    I get tired of the phone mfg's simply making the internal storage, just that internal storage. The DX2 has more app storage, the DX had far more app storage. I do not intend to put video or photo's into the partitioned internal memory, they can all go to and SD card. That's the point.

I expected more internal space and once again Moto screwed this one up. Here's to getting it rooted and the bloatware out, no doubt there is 300+MB of crapware in there.
    So moving apps out of the 1.5 gb of app storage and into the 11 gb of internal storage doesn't count? That equates to quite a bit of app storage.

Also, all my music is on an sd card and you can save pictures/video from the camera to either the 11gb internal rom or the sd card. In fact, when you add an sd card, it asks if you want to switch.

07-09-2011 11:17 PM
    I had read that to record 1080p video, you need a class 10 sd card, so this 11gb of internal media storage would work in favor for those who wouldn't wanna shell out for a faster card. Sounds awesome to me. Don't know why we have people complaining.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    07-09-2011 11:30 PM
    Over 10 GB of space for apps and other permanent stuff (list of songs or so) leaving the SD specifically for transient stuff (videos/pictures, etc.) Seems ideal.

Coming from outside of android, I don't understand the desire to install programs on a removable card.

-Suntan
    07-10-2011 10:41 AM
    I had read that to record 1080p video, you need a class 10 sd card, so this 11gb of internal media storage would work in favor for those who wouldn't wanna shell out for a faster card. Sounds awesome to me. Don't know why we have people complaining.

i believe the internal memory is still the equivalent of a class 6. so i'm not sure this is the case
    07-10-2011 10:51 AM

Blue Rays don't even require the throughput of a class 10 card. Further, none of the dedicated HD video cameras require it. I doubt a phone cam will.

-Suntan
    07-10-2011 12:19 PM
    Much ado about nothing, plenty of space and it's expandable.

07-10-2011 12:23 PM
    Blue Rays don't even require the throughput of a class 10 card. Further, none of the dedicated HD video cameras require it. I doubt a phone cam will.

-Suntan
    True. Guess I just read some misinformation. Still, 11gb at about class 6 is pretty generous.

07-10-2011 02:04 PM
    And read speeds on android are hampered the only time youll see class 10 speeds is when u transfer to computer.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    07-10-2011 07:43 PM
    I recorded 1080p with the camera to my sd card from my og droid, a 16gb class 6. I used astro to verify it had saved to the sd card that I had installed.

Interestingly, it lists the internal media space as "sd card" and the card that I installed as "sd cardext".

07-10-2011 07:49 PM
    So long as I can put my apps on the "internal sdcard" then I am fine, but on the Droid Charge there was enough lag with the apps on the sdcard that I was not happy with it and you only got 1.11GB from them.
    07-10-2011 08:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD