Ok guys,

I'm coming from the evil BB world to the Droid world with the D3. My question is, I never used the tying into my home wireless network thru the phone, and see it keeps popping up telling me of available wifi connections available wherever I go. Is this a freebie thru Verizon, or will it cost me to use this?
    07-12-2011 11:40 AM
    Ok guys,

I'm coming from the evil BB world to the Droid world with the D3. My question is, I never used the tying into my home wireless network thru the phone, and see it keeps popping up telling me of available wifi connections available wherever I go. Is this a freebie thru Verizon, or will it cost me to use this?
    It does not cost anything to use wifi. Verizon suggests using wifi whenever possible for data so that it relieves some data stress on their network.
    mbrouill likes this.
    07-12-2011 11:48 AM
    Ok guys,

Well, I guess to put it simply, Verizon doesn't regulate the WIFI usage on your phone. It's just like a laptop in the sense that, if you find your WIFI connection available, you can connect to it. If yours is secured, then you'll have to enter the key/password to access your WIFI.

Same goes for if you want to say, the Airport where they have free WIFI access - same as a laptop, you can connect to the WIFI with your phone and be able to use the "faster" data connection rather than using 3G.

On a side note, if you find that you constantly get notifications about WIFI spots available and are annoyed by that, you can simply disable the "notify" option for WIFI by going to Settings >> Wireless & Networks >> Wi-Fi settings >> Un-check the notification boxes for secured and unsecured if desired.
    mbrouill likes this.
    07-12-2011 11:55 AM
    I dont know if they do it on Android (yet), but on iOS, Verizon makes you use wifi to download any app over 20mb.

Definitely use wifi whenever possible. Its generally much faster then 3G, and with the new data plans, data used on wifi, doesnt count toward your limit.
    07-12-2011 01:11 PM
    I dont know if they do it on Android (yet), but on iOS, Verizon makes you use wifi to download any app over 20mb.

Definitely use wifi whenever possible. Its generally much faster then 3G, and with the new data plans, data used on wifi, doesnt count toward your limit.
    that's actually not a Verizon thing. that's an apple thing. att has the same thing on their iphones
    07-12-2011 01:28 PM
    Good to know, but not woried how much bandwidth I eat. Grandfathered into the unlimited and on a bad month I wouldn't have hit 2 gig...
    07-12-2011 03:02 PM
    I connect to wifi at home and work, 3g elsewhere. Power control widget is great for turning the wifi antenna on and off to save some battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    07-12-2011 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD