App Memory

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was very surprised today when, during an application download, I found that I maxed out the available Application Memory. Maybe my DX was a beast with memory because I never ever had that problem. Does the Droid 3 have the same amount of memory as the DX and the allocation is different, or is the amount of available memory very small? I don't know if I can take not having the amount of memory that older phones have possessed. Anyone have the same problem??

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was just looking at the Motorola website, for comparative purposes, and found out that the D3 has 16GB on board memory. Compare that to the DX, which has 8GB on board memory. This leads me to believe that this is an allocation problem, and, hopefully, the next software update will free up more memory.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
IIRC you can move apps to the 13GB open memory allocated for pics and vids just like you could move to SD card, also I think you can move apps to SD card if you have one.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The DX has the full 8GB available for apps/files etc. where as the D3 has 1.6GB (2GB formatted) allocated for App memory (pull the crapware out and get another 300MB or so) and of course another 11MB called sdcard. The key part is the way they partitioned the internal memory allows for faster access of apps stored there vs putting them on an external card.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I was very surprised today when, during an application download, I found that I maxed out the available Application Memory. Maybe my DX was a beast with memory because I never ever had that problem. Does the Droid 3 have the same amount of memory as the DX and the allocation is different, or is the amount of available memory very small? I don't know if I can take not having the amount of memory that older phones have possessed. Anyone have the same problem??

Two questions:

1) What the hell were you downloading that would do that?
2) How many apps do you have installed?

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Two questions:

1) What the hell were you downloading that would do that?
2) How many apps do you have installed?

I was downloading all of the games and what not that I had on my DX, which is around 38 apps. I was only trying to download some bs app that I saw on the market at that moment.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been working on getting all my free Amazon apps installed and I've gotten that a couple times.

Hit cancel/ok/whatever to get rid of the notification then try and install it again. They usually install the second time.

-Suntan

Ken T

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
i have a little crappy samsung sch720c android phone made for verizon on straight talk
samsung gives us 1.02gb of app memory built in and whatever sd card up to32gb for media.
even though i move the apps that allow it to the sd card, they seem to reserve the original memory from the
internal instead of freeing it.
I was getting an updat for webroot security, and it said not enough memory when it tried to install.
last i looked i had used about 600mb but now it says 0.99gb.
can i reset to factory, clear internal memory, or somthing. My apps dont seem to add up to 900mb

UPDATE after investigating found out settings and task manager(preinstalled, not uninstallable) was saying memory full
but in settings it said 292 of 1.02gb used. so i killed task manager and installed a couple bigt files no problem

Last edited:

Ken T

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
ok. found the problem.
turns out a podcast app i recently started using was cache-ing (?) something in onboard memory.
almost 700 mb of my 1.02gb was this apps cached matterial. whatever that was.
deleted cache and all is well.