Has anybody has any experience with the Verizon prepaid service with a smartphone? I was thinking about buying the Droid 3 and using it on prepaid. Thanks!

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
    07-18-2011 05:38 PM
    Has anybody has any experience with the Verizon prepaid service with a smartphone? I was thinking about buying the Droid 3 and using it on prepaid. Thanks!

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk
    I don't have much experience with the service but I will be getting it soon. As far as I know, coverage is about the same as post paid. Voice plans cost 5 dollars more than contract plans. This is a boon or a bane depending on ur state and what taxes ur state imposes. I know for FL, prepaid is cheaper since u only pay sales taxes on the service where as with post paid u pay sales tax, fcc taxes, regulatory fee, etc wich add another 10-15 dollars on bill.

Also data is still "unlimited" with prepaid smartphones versus the 2gb max with postpaid. The Droid 3 is priced at 394.99 currently which isn't bad. About $60 cheaper than the retail price and $200 more than the contract price.

I intend to get it prepaid since it will satisfy my need to avoid contracts and have something of a month-to-month service as well as unlimited data. Plus with it being a world phone I won't have to worry about contacting verizing to cancel or suspend when I leave the country for a bit.
    07-19-2011 01:26 AM
    I don't have much experience with the service but I will be getting it soon. As far as I know, coverage is about the same as post paid. Voice plans cost 5 dollars more than contract plans. This is a boon or a bane depending on ur state and what taxes ur state imposes. I know for FL, prepaid is cheaper since u only pay sales taxes on the service where as with post paid u pay sales tax, fcc taxes, regulatory fee, etc wich add another 10-15 dollars on bill.

Also data is still "unlimited" with prepaid smartphones versus the 2gb max with postpaid. The Droid 3 is priced at 394.99 currently which isn't bad. About $60 cheaper than the retail price and $200 more than the contract price.

I intend to get it prepaid since it will satisfy my need to avoid contracts and have something of a month-to-month service as well as unlimited data. Plus with it being a world phone I won't have to worry about contacting verizing to cancel or suspend when I leave the country for a bit.
    Confirmed (it's been several years since I used prepaid personally but I sell it to others). The difference in coverage has to do with roaming. Prepaid customers have access to Verizon's own network while those of us on contract plans have access to their roaming partners.
    07-19-2011 01:35 AM
    I'm almost positive that prepaid customers still have to abide by the 2GB cap. I can confirm this because I stopped into a Verizon store. I'm pretty sure that if I argued that they'd say I was wrong.they'll do anything to get you in a contract.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    07-19-2011 10:58 AM
    I'm almost positive that prepaid customers still have to abide by the 2GB cap. I can confirm this because I stopped into a Verizon store. I'm pretty sure that if I argued that they'd say I was wrong.they'll do anything to get you in a contract.

Nope. Prepaid is still unlimited.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/13...imited-for-30/
    07-19-2011 02:14 PM
    Lol, that makes absolutely no sense. Either way, I'm all for it. The last question is, is the D3 worth the cash? Obviously its a pretty loaded question, but with so many great phones on Verizon, its hard to narrow it down to just one...lol.

07-19-2011 03:45 PM
    Lol, that makes absolutely no sense. Either way, I'm all for it. The last question is, is the D3 worth the cash? Obviously its a pretty loaded question, but with so many great phones on Verizon, its hard to narrow it down to just one...lol.

True that it makes no sense but I'm all happy for that bit of nonsense lol. They way I figure, their postpaid consumers far outnumber their own prepaid smartphone consumers. Telecoms do prefer to milk money out of contract customers through their "special deals" anyway.
    07-19-2011 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD