Major Outstanding Issues with the Droid 3

razoo

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
When talking about reboots, do you mean totally shutting down and restarting? My problem is that if I am using it, sometimes the screen goes black for a half second then comes back on. I also have had to open the slider to get the screen back or hit the top button. Is that the same or a different issue?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My battery icon at the top does not match the remaining percent in the battery manager section in settings. I'm going to use the battery calibration app and see if that works. It updates to the correct figure when I do a battery pull but doesn't stay consistent with the amount left. Any ideas besides factory resetting?

singhshsr

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
MAn you got one jank D3, just get it replaced i bet the problems would go away. and i really dont have those problems with mine and i have had it for a while.

troyst83

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Still love the phone. Problems I'm having:

1.) Sleep does not work. When it goes to sleep, it doesn't wake up. Have to do a battery pull. When the phone restarts, the phone is in plane mode until I've battery pulled 2 or 3 more times.

2.) Facebook (most likely the apps fault) photo uploading freezes at random percantages. The only way to make the notification go away is by a battery pull.

3.) Blue tint (as others have mentioned) using flash.

4.) The phone is actually getting laggier (word?) each day.

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Still love the phone. Problems I'm having:

1.) Sleep does not work. When it goes to sleep, it doesn't wake up. Have to do a battery pull. When the phone restarts, the phone is in plane mode until I've battery pulled 2 or 3 more times.

2.) Facebook (most likely the apps fault) photo uploading freezes at random percantages. The only way to make the notification go away is by a battery pull.

3.) Blue tint (as others have mentioned) using flash.

4.) The phone is actually getting laggier (word?) each day.

I'm just curious, what OS version are you running on your phone? The reason I'm asking is that the blue tint is no longer on the phone with the recent update. 5.6.890.XT862

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The D3 hates apps being moved to media area. When I move apps to media area, after a while 3G slows to a crawl, and the phone slows down as a whole. I won't even get into the virtual keyboard lag that accompanies it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The main problem is that many apps install to media area by default, and if I forget to check, sooner or later I'll be ready to throw it against the wall wonder what's wrong with it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The restarts and spontaneous reboots forced me to put her on medical leave until she gets an update. ICS preferably.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Carnes

May 15, 2012
Visit site
My Droid 3 started to smell like burning it over heated so bad when then when i slid the phone open i noticed it had melted the key pad . I have Verizon and they told me i was somehow my fault my phone melted and i would have to pay to replace it. I have had appalling customer service. The Droid 3 in my opinion is dangerous and i was lucky it didn't burn down my house.

mwlkr

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
My Droid 3 started to smell like burning it over heated so bad when then when i slid the phone open i noticed it had melted the key pad . I have Verizon and they told me i was somehow my fault my phone melted and i would have to pay to replace it. I have had appalling customer service. The Droid 3 in my opinion is dangerous and i was lucky it didn't burn down my house.

---------- Post Merged at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:49 PM ----------

My DROID 3 not only reboots randomly it also gets very hot when charging.. and when i touch while its charging it shocks me.. I WOULD NOT buy another one.. customer service was no help.. have had 3 replacement phones in 10 mth period...

GJohnson93

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
My droid started acting up several months ago. It started turning off randomly at first then it wouldn't turn on at all. I went to take the battery out and to my surprise the battery had become swollen or something. I got a new battery and within a few weeks it started turning off randomly as well! Then it wouldn't survive off of the charger. And then, it wouldn't turn on at all! SO annoyed! Since I am at home most of the day I leave my wifi on and use my home internet instead of my data. I read somewhere that when the Wifi is used too much it starts having problems. But I don't understand why it would do that!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
My droid started acting up several months ago. It started turning off randomly at first then it wouldn't turn on at all. I went to take the battery out and to my surprise the battery had become swollen or something. I got a new battery and within a few weeks it started turning off randomly as well! Then it wouldn't survive off of the charger. And then, it wouldn't turn on at all! SO annoyed! Since I am at home most of the day I leave my wifi on and use my home internet instead of my data. I read somewhere that when the Wifi is used too much it starts having problems. But I don't understand why it would do that!

I'd say that the second battery that you bought is bad as well. A swollen battery is definitely a bad thing - dangerous as well, as it suggests that the battery pack could combust.

I have no idea where you read that about using WiFi. I use WiFi all of the time and my phone is better, with better battery life, with WiFi connectivity than with mobile data.

At this point I would not buy a battery for the D3 from anybody but Motorola, unless you know it is in the retail pack. A lot of the cheap Amazon batteries are, I think, used batteries. Moto still sells the extended battery, but you need to buy the door as well.

Battery BF6X (Extra Capacity) - Motorola Mobility LLC. USA
Extra Capacity Battery Door for DROID 3 - Motorola Mobility LLC. USA

It's expensive, but it should be a full capacity battery, and will give you about 20% more battery than the standard. If you are not doing so already, I'd also suggest using the stock Motorola charger and cable, just to make sure that a cheap charger isn't overcharging the battery and causing all of those problems you've had.

Of course, if you have a D3 you may be close to upgrade time. It may be better to use that money on a new handset.