battery life question

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Looks like what mine did before I put the leaked update on my phone and it fixes the cell standby puts it about 6%. But then my screen became #1 on the list with 37%. Check your setting to see if you are on cdma or global its under wireless then network. Make sure your on cdma not global. You can alway do a factory reset. That has helped out a lot of people and there battey.

furbymac

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
it could be because you are in a weak coverage area and the radio has to boost its power to gain signal. looking at the pictures i noticed you only had 2 bars. and on my og droid the worse the signal the faster the batt. drains.

raisinbagel

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
you're probably right furby, I work at a grocery store and spend most of my time in a cooler. I still feel like it shouldn't consume that much power though. I do use rdio to listen to music while I work sometimes so maybe that's drawing alot of extra power since im streaming music in hq.

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Another tip that helped me with battery life was turning off the Gps when not in use. I noticed a significant change.

phrosty

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
One thing that has helped me with my phones is turning off the feedback. For key presses and applications. Doesn't do much for you if idle but when using it it will save a little battery.

Sent from my EVO 4g using tapatalk.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine phone seemed to lose battery bat a fairly consistent rate, regardless of how much or little I used it. It would drain a lot either way. With virtually no use, it would be down to ~50% after ~14 hours if I didn't charge it in the middle of the day. I tried all of the usual suggestions to help it, but it just didn't matter. And, yes, like everyone else, Cell Standby was at the top of the usage list. Of course, that didn't seem to unusual to me for a no-use day. However, it was also at the top even when I used the phone a lot.

So, after root became available, I rooted my phone and then used Titanium Backup Pro to freeze all the bloatware on the phone. That improved performance a bit and seemed to improve battery life a small amount, but nothing that would be dramatically noticeable.

Just last week (I think it was Thursday or Friday), I installed the leaked update from the xda-developers site. It made a definite improvement to the phones idle-time battery usage. I think there were some changes to usage reporting (as some have said due to the way Cell Standby used to report so high), but there is definitely a real, noticeable battery drain improvement. Just yesterday, my phone had been off the charger for 15 hours and it was down to 70% with low use. This is definitely a big enough improvement to consider it something more than a fluke or my imagination.

Of course, the link to that update was removed with extreme prejudice and it appears that the removal was prompted by a not-so-polite request by either Motorola, Verizon or both, so it might be difficult to get a copy of it now.

-SR-

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
you're probably right furby, I work at a grocery store and spend most of my time in a cooler. I still feel like it shouldn't consume that much power though. I do use rdio to listen to music while I work sometimes so maybe that's drawing alot of extra power since im streaming music in hq.

That's funny. I work in a grocery store as well as a butcher. I'm constantly in the case and I get little to no service most of the day at work. When you use your browser or download anything on 0-1 bar, it destroys your battery. I can definitely confirm that your poor battery life is due to the reception you get when your in the box pulling lists.

I sometimes keep my phone on airplane mode when I'm at work. Take note of the areas in the store where you have 2-3+ bars and send your texts out when your in that location.

utupelo

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that whenever I try to surf the net with a weak 3G signal the phone battery will get hot. I'm guessing the battery is in heavy use at that time.

razoo

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Another question. If at home, which is the best system to use, the 3G system or your home Wireless to connect to everything? Any major difference? I also noticed when hooked to my home wireless the 3G logo disappears at the top of the screen. I assume this is normal, correct?

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Another question. If at home, which is the best system to use, the 3G system or your home Wireless to connect to everything? Any major difference? I also noticed when hooked to my home wireless the 3G logo disappears at the top of the screen. I assume this is normal, correct?
The wireless should be be noticeably faster.

Yes, my wireless indicator displaces my 3G indicator as well. Which makes sense... At that point you are not pulling data from the cellular network, you are pulling from your home wireless network. You still have your cellular signal strength meter for your cell connection, which will clue you in to your general cellular data coverage availability.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
In most all cases your home wifi is desired over 3G. It will likely be faster. But it also reduces battery drain by a large amount. If you have a limited data plan (2GB a month say) it makes even more sense as wifi data doesn't count against that.

When out-and-about open wifi networks (most resturants, etc.) can also speed up and improve phone performance. Just keep in mind to switch over to the more secure 3G before doing any sensitive browsing.

-Suntan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz