Group Text Messaging

juanuby

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I have searched and have not been able to find a thread that tells me how to do this on my DROID3, so I figured I would let you all know what I have learned by using the phone and maybe it will help someone.

1) Go to Contacts - Tap the Group Icon (2 People) - Tap the Plus sign on Top right - Give your group a name ? Save - Select the Contacts.

Now this is important!
2) In order for the Group text to actually send the text messages make sure all of the contacts numbers in the group are set as the "Mobile" number in the contacts application, if it's set to "Work" or "Home" it will not send them the text even if they are in the group.

3) Verizon has a 10 recipient limit on text messages on the stock messaging app, for groups with more then 10 recipients, e.g. Family, create "Family1" "Family2" "Family3" each with 10 recipients, it?s better to send 3 text messages the 30! :) Yes, I have a large family. (Download a 3rd party app to override this)

Thats my .02! Hope it helps someone.

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
While the stock app does what it needs to, it doesn't do everything I want it too, and even when it does what I need (just as your example shows), it could be done better. That's why I went to a third party app and haven't looked back. I have been very pleased with Handcent, it does group messaging much better than the stock app... In my eyes, Google would be wise to buy them and make their software the stock app. I have read reviews of a few of the other SMS apps, and have read mostly positive things about them as well. I think the stock app is something Google has left the door wide open for developers to add and improve upon.

juanuby

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
While the stock app does what it needs to, it doesn't do everything I want it too, and even when it does what I need (just as your example shows), it could be done better. That's why I went to a third party app and haven't looked back. I have been very pleased with Handcent, it does group messaging much better than the stock app... In my eyes, Google would be wise to buy them and make their software the stock app. I have read reviews of a few of the other SMS apps, and have read mostly positive things about them as well. I think the stock app is something Google has left the door wide open for developers to add and improve upon.

I agree that the stock messaging app (and other stock apps "Social Networking") leaves much to be desired in it's intuitiveness and functionality. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I dislike downloading apps to my phone that do what I can get done with apps that are already on my phone. I cant remove the apps and replace them, so I might as well use what it's there and make it work. I really haven't found much of an issue using the stock messaging app, I can get it to do what I want it to do. But I do wish these stock apps, were much more feature rich as you stated. Maybe one day....

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, and I kinda feel that way in general too. But then I tried Handcent just on a whim. Now, it is the first app I am sure I have loaded on any replacement phone. It's just that good compared to the stock app. The stock app still runs in the background so you can always utilize it if you'd like to, but I'd be willing to bet you won't after you get Handcent set up just the way you'd like.

After all, isn't customization and making a good thing even better what Android and Open Source are all about?

tde vm

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello! I'm new in this forum. I've downloaded handcent in my motorola photon but the group text/contact does not work. It can't detect or upload the group contacts in the text window. Can you help advise?

tde vm

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello! Im new to this forum. Recently got an LG Optimus Chat from Japan, but apparently, there is no option for creating group contacts. Is there an apps that can create group contacts which i specifically need for group texting/sms?

Spacecoastchick

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
: Saving Contacts from a Group Text Message

I agree that the stock messaging app (and other stock apps "Social Networking") leaves much to be desired in it's intuitiveness and functionality. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I dislike downloading apps to my phone that do what I can get done with apps that are already on my phone. I cant remove the apps and replace them, so I might as well use what it's there and make it work. I really haven't found much of an issue using the stock messaging app, I can get it to do what I want it to do. But I do wish these stock apps, were much more feature rich as you stated. Maybe one day....