Email connection to host error

flaflashr

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Droid 3 from Verizon (after 2 years of a Palm Pre). I use a real POP3 e-mail provider, i.e., addr.com. I have entered the credentials correctly, and do not change them.

Frequently (many times every day), I get an error "Connection error ... incorrect username or password". I hit retry without changing anything. After numerous (20 .. 30 .. 40) attempts, it will eventually get the connection, and fetch my messages. ... Until later that day, when the error repeats.

I went to the Verizon store where I got the phone the other day. We tried my account on the floor demo of the Droid 3. Same results.

We tried my account on a different Motorola brand phone, and it worked perfectly. We tried my account on a Samsung Stratosphere (just in today), and it also worked perfectly. Also, I never had this problem with my Palm Pre. It always just worked.

Is this a known error with the Droid 3 with POP3 email providers? Is there any fix?

The Verizon rep offered to exchange my Droid 3 for the Samsung Stratosphere, within the 14 day exchange period. (Same retail price $149 on both). He agreed that since he could verify my problem, he would waive the restocking fee.

The Stratosphere has some features that are less:
5.0 Mpx camera vs. 8.0
8 GB memory vs. 16
Standby 212 hours vs. 300
Usage minutes 480 vs. 550.

Both have slide-out keyboards, which I really like.

The Stratosphere is 4G LTE, but 86% of my time is spent in an area without 4G for at least a year, and the other 14% is in random places that may or may not have 4G.

If I could fix the Droid 3, I'd stay with it. If not, does the Stratosphere seem like a good deal? (Nobody has reviewed it online yet.)

Thanks in advance,
JimR

wolfensteed

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Stratosphere from Verizon and have the same exact problem with connecting to my POP3 server. After hours with techs from verizon, COX and Samsung, no one has a solution.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I would try the (free) application K-9 mail and see if the error occurs there. I think K9 is a better mail app anyway.

(However, I use only Gmail on my phone; I have my gmail account set to fetch messages from my POP3 accounts, and I can reply using those addresses using Gmail as well. I've used K9 before, more for testing than anything, but not for several months.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1