Droid 3 software messed up, factory reset does NOT work, Help!?

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
So one morning my droid 3 started acting up, and I cant find a similar situation anywhere online (at least for the droid 3), is what is happening:

First, this phone is NOT rooted.

The phone randomly reboots every 5 minutes to 4 hours, cant find any pattern for why, when it reboots it takes ~2 minutes, and starts up at the activation part of the phone when you set it up after a factory reset. At this point I get a ton of error messages i.e "Sorry! The application dropbox (process.com.dropbox.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". I can turn the phone off and back on, but it does not change these effects. Also pretty much apps are not working, only the browser and gmail work for a couple seconds then they get the same error message.

So you are probably thinking, why not just factory reset? Well I have tried that, and it doesn't work. Both going through the settings on the phone, AND through the splash screen (by splash screen I mean the android figure with the yellow triangle where you make your choices). When I load up the menu I choose to factory reset, and the phone says it is wiping the cache, data, and everything. Then I reboot the phone and it goes back to the activation portion of the phone for setting up, with everything the same. I tried wiping all the data 4,5,10 times in a row on the splash screen, and still nothing. Same with the cache.

The strangest thing is it seems like it is acting like it has a save state. Whenever the phone reboots it reverts back to how it was (saved texts, apps) the morning it stopped working. This happens regardless of what I do on the phone, I deleted all the texts and apps on the phone, tried a factory reset, and everything was restored when it finally booted up. I had not downloaded any apps for days before this (I also don't have any kind of restore apps or system storage apps, or SD card). The night before this happened the ESPN score center app was unable to start up (with the same message I get now), so I uninstalled it and re installed it, but that was it.

I have tried 2 different 1-click root tools I found on XDA (are we allowed to talk about root here?), "Pete's motorola root" and "motofail", neither were unable to wipe the data on the phone during the process and both failed to root the phone. I was going to try to wipe the phone with a method found in this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-3/311456-droid-3-stuck-dual-core-screen.html , suggested by doogald, but the fastboot method seems to require the volume keys to work (and mine stopped working around 6 months ago).

I took the phone to the verizon store and they were pretty useless. They blamed the hardware as the problem. I try to take pretty good care of my electronics, I don't download a bunch of stuff and don't download any apps that aren't in the google play store, and to me this seems like a software issue, not a hardware one.

So has anyone seen anything like this before or know what I can do to fix it? I'm fine with wiping everything from the phone too if I have to, I just want to figure out how to get this to work again...

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

*Edit. If it matters the gingerbread version is 2.3.4

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Android version does not matter, system version does.
How are you getting to android recovery(splash screen) without volume buttons?
You can boot to ap fastboot with adb.exe

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
System version is 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US

I was able navigate the splash screen by mashing the qwerty keyboard a bunch, then randomly the arrow keys could be used to move around the menu, and I could hit enter to select.

I'm not sure what adb.exe is, can you explain or point me somewhere that can explain the process to me?

Thanks!

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
System version is 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US

I was able navigate the splash screen by mashing the qwerty keyboard a bunch, then randomly the arrow keys could be used to move around the menu, and I could hit enter to select.
getting to recovery should be a two step process.
I'm not sure what adb.exe is, can you explain or point me somewhere that can explain the process to me?

Thanks!
download moto-fastboot.rar
create a new folder in c drive named adb
unzip moto-fastboot.rar
copy files from unzipped moto-fastboot folder to adb folder
power on phone normally, connect usb cable to phone and pc
on phone: menu button>settings>applications>Development> check USB debugging then check ok allow
Open the CMD (start menu>All programs>accessories>command prompt)
and enter the these commands.
cd/
cd c:adb
adb reboot bootloader

phone will reboot to a ap fastboot
and rsd lite will see it as

if phone was rooted
another option would be to try an app from play store, there are several reboot to bootloader apps
like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot

only motofail will root 906, several things can cause rooting to fail
virus protection can remove the exploit, without asking, so disable virus protection before even downloading motofail
download from Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
install moto drivers (download from Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service)
make sure you right-click on the motofail_windows.zip file, extract the files to a folder on your PC, and click the ‘run.bat’ file from that folder

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by the getting to recovery stage? I held "x" and the power button and got to the android screen with the trianglewhere I mashed the qwerty keyboard and navigated through the menu to "wipe" the data and factory reset.

So I downloaded the moto-fastbook.rar file, and I cant do anything with it (I have vista if that matters?). When I open it, I get the windows error "windows cannot open this file, etc" that comes when you try to open a file when you don't have the program. I tried changing it to a .zip file, but I could not extract anything from it.

So I just put the .rar file in the adb folder and ran the command prompt, and it didn't work "'reboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." I wasn't expecting that to work, but I was just checking my bases.

Phone is not rooted, and I don't think even if it was I would be able to run the app for more than a couple seconds.

I have no virus protection on my phone, at least that I have consciously added or allowed. I downloaded the moto drivers like you said and re-ran the motofail root, and it didn't work. After the CMD reboots my phone when trying to root, it always reverts back to how it was, and I always have to re-check the USB debugging part (same when I tried with the 1-click method "pete's motorola root". In the command prompt for the motofail root, after rebooting the first time it cannot find files (which I am guessing the files it installed before it was rebooted, but the rebooting probably deleted those files when it reverted back to the "save state" that came from nowhere.).

Thanks for the help so far,
Any ideas?

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by the getting to recovery stage? I held "x" and the power button and got to the android screen with the trianglewhere I mashed the qwerty keyboard and navigated through the menu to "wipe" the data and factory reset.

So I downloaded the moto-fastbook.rar file, and I cant do anything with it (I have vista if that matters?). When I open it, I get the windows error "windows cannot open this file, etc" that comes when you try to open a file when you don't have the program. I tried changing it to a .zip file, but I could not extract anything from it.

So I just put the .rar file in the adb folder and ran the command prompt, and it didn't work "'reboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." I wasn't expecting that to work, but I was just checking my bases.
it's a .rar archive, you will need a compression utility like 7zip to uncompress
Phone is not rooted, and I don't think even if it was I would be able to run the app for more than a couple seconds.

I have no virus protection on my phone,
virus protection on your pc
at least that I have consciously added or allowed. I downloaded the moto drivers like you said and re-ran the motofail root, and it didn't work. After the CMD reboots my phone when trying to root, it always reverts back to how it was, and I always have to re-check the USB debugging part (same when I tried with the 1-click method "pete's motorola root". In the command prompt for the motofail root, after rebooting the first time it cannot find files (which I am guessing the files it installed before it was rebooted, but the rebooting probably deleted those files when it reverted back to the "save state" that came from nowhere.).

Thanks for the help so far,
Any ideas?
pete's will not work

you could delete the .android_secure folder from the phone storage, using your pc
i believe that is where the restore files are, then try wiping phone again.

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
For the previous statements I was using pete's as an example of how I had to recheck the USB debugging check when running those root attempts (after every reboot). I also tried deleting .android_secure when connecting the phone to the computer and then doing a factory reset, nothing happened :(

Thanks for the help thus far, still not working though, here's what I did.

I downloaded 7zip and decompressed the file, threw the 4 files in the folder under the "adb" folder.

Downloaded RSD lite 5.7 and then downloaded the third XML file here: Droid-Developers SBF decompressed this, installed RSD lite, and choose the XML file as the file (to flash from?).

I then ran the adb with the command prompt, it worked this time and I got to the "fastboot flash mode (S) 0A.64" screen on my phone. Says the battery is ok, and "ok to program". I then click "start" on the RSD lite v5.7, and it fails. It says "failed flashing process 3/21 flash mbmloader 'mbmloader.bin' -> phone returned fail". With the model "fastboot CDMA_S0LANA S" (if that helps?). I tried it a couple more times and kept coming to this problem (including rebooting the phone). I am currently trying to "Decompress and flash" the XML file to see if that changes anything, but I'm doubting it I'll edit this post if anything happens, but I'm guessing it's unlikely. *edit. Yep the same error.

Is there anything else I could delete when connecting the phone to the computer that might wipe system memory?

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
yes, if 3rd file is VRZ_XT862_5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10_1FF_01a.xml.zip
first you should verify the md5 check sum:8C33C373BD309AA40C8EBDB458E426F1
[How to] Verify that your download is complete with MD5/SHA-1 Hash Checksums
any large file should be verified.

if md5 is correct, retry rsd lite

check for drivers error
when you get the error message, leave phone connected, open windows device manager (start menu>control panel> hardware and sound> device printers>device manager
look for a device with a yellow triangle like this
droid 3 fastboot no drivers.PNG
if you see a yellow triangle, you will need to update driver, drivers sometime install incorrect, especially if you tried flashing before installing proper moto drivers.

a few more flashing options
a.Official .906 1_click sbf .exe [03-28-2013] (uses extracted 906 .xml and automated moto-fastboot)
b. 906 1-click-sbf.exe + tools [06-01-2012] (uses 906 update and parts 890 xml and automated moto-fastboot)
c. manually flash xml parts with moto-fastboot.exe unbrick Moto device with .xml

there maybe another way to wipe data
Open the CMD (start menu>All programs>accessories>command prompt)
and enter the these commands.
cd/
cd c:adb
adb reboot bootloader
moto-fastboot -w

think this maybe what you are looking for

Disable Automatic Restore prior to performing a hard (factory) reset
From the home screen, select the App menu.
Select Settings.
Select Privacy.
Ensure Backup my data is checked.
To enable automatic restoration of backed up settings and other data after an application has been resintalled ensure Automatic restore is checked.
Note Automatic restore is disabled if a check mark is not present.

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
So I left my phone on the "fastboot flash mode" screen for like 30 minutes, and came back to it, and now I cant get out of it. I can get to the splash screen, but when I try to reboot from there I end up back at the fastboot flash mode (is this bricking?). I tried the "moto-fastbook -w" from the command prompt, it says it erased user data and cache, but I cant get back to the homescreen to find out if it worked.

I verfied the MD5 and it is the same.

Nothing in device manager as far as moto drivers.

As I cant get to my start screen, I cant try anything with the "disable automatic restore" but from my recollection I have never checked those, and when I went through and attempted to factory reset through that section I don't think they were checked.

I'm downloading another flash option right now, and will update this post as I progress, the first one is: Official .906 1_click sbf .exe [03-28-2013]

*1st edit. I got partway through the first rooting attempt before my phone found out it was under 50% battery, but now I can get to the home screen at least. The backup my data is infact checked in my settings and privacy, guess my memory could use some help. The battery is charging now, I'm going to try flashing when it gets up to around 70-80%, which means another 10 minutes or so hopefully.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
When rebooting phone, disconnect usb cable, pull battery, wait 10 secs, replace battery, press power

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't leave phone on if it will not boot normally, because it will not charge either, if battery gets too low, you can not flash, and will need a spare battery charger or a TBH factory cable adapter

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Well the first one Official .906 1_click sbf .exe [03-28-2013] did not work. It went through the whole prompt, and didn't say there were any errors or anything. At the end it dropped me off at the splash screen and said to press any key to continue (on the computer), so I hit enter and it disappeared. Then on my droid 3 I just choose to reboot and it went back to how it was. I am going to try again really quick and do a wipe from the slash screen before trying 906 1-click-sbf.exe + tools [06-01-2012] next.

*edit. Didn't work when wiping data from the splash screen. Is there some way to wipe everything without having to reboot afterwards? It seems the rebooting is what returns the phone back to the previous state...

tried the 906 1-click-sbf.exe + tools [06-01-2012] link, and it turned out the same as the other one. Said there were no problems and then it drops me off at the splash screen, I reboot and it is back to how it was. I then did a data wipe from the splash screen, and still nothing. Next I am going to try the manual one you suggested on your google doc.

Last edited:

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I went through the manual one, entering everything from the google doc. No errors and everything seemed to work, and it rebooted to the flash screen like the other ones, and then I rebooted it, and once again it returned to how it was....

Anything else I can try to fix this? Or wipe internal data?

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I just did it, chose to "erase everything" "unmounting insternal storage" "erasing internal storage" prompt went across. Then the teal prompt along the bottom of the phone said "internal storage is currently being checked" and then it stopped (is that everything?). Nothing was deleted as far as I know, my gallery opened somehow and I was able to check and my pictures were still there, and all my apps are still installed, but my homescreens have all been cleared. Which is new. I'll try doing a factory reset and see what happens I guess? Any more thoughts?

*edit: Factory reset returned it to how it was... Back to square one I guess.

D3MX

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I tried a combination of booting with safe mode and running moto-fail, and wiping data/internal storage while in safe mode with no success.. Thanks for all the time spent trying to help!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes the flash memory fails and, unfortunately, with a locked bootloader phone, there is nothing that you can do. I wonder if that's what happened in this case?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown