[ROOT] How to root the Droid 4

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
droid-4-root.jpg

Windows only for now, but it's quick and painless.

1. Put your phone in USB debugging mode.
  2. Connect your Droid 4 to the computer via USB
  3. Make sure you have the latest drivers and what-not (get them here if you don't)
  4. Download Dan Rosenberg's exploit
  5. Extract to a folder, and double-click run.bat.

That's it. Easy as pie. And (cough) free.

Reactions: atminside

cmonson91

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to root my phone but it will not root. I followed all the directions and ran and administrator when i run it it says it failed to do every thing

k1ick

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
All right im not a complete noob at this but i need some help: I would like to get the Mac version of this but for some reason when i download it from the website it does not include the adb.osx file which im assuming is the mac version of adb.exe and when i execute "./run.sh" it goes crazy trying to find the file. Im not sure why it is not included or if i have to some how convert the adb.exe file to .osx which im pretty sure is impossible.
Thanks.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
How about unrooting if you need to return your phone? I would love to try this, but want to be sure it is reversible. I suppose a master reset would do it, no? Cheers

gaudenti

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the same question. From what I've read, you do a Nandroid backup?

But to do a Nandroid backup, you have to first root the phone? So won't the backup be also rooted?

cdbeiser

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the whole smart phone droid world... What does root do? why should I root the phone and will it help me with mobile hotspot?
TIA
chris

4jws

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I have tried a bunch of different ways to root my droid 4 on my mac but still get the "No such file or directory" Are there any other ways to root it? Can I root it any other way?

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have tried a bunch of different ways to root my droid 4 on my mac but still get the "No such file or directory" Are there any other ways to root it? Can I root it any other way?
I used my friend's mac to root my Droid 4. It does work but it's a little tricky. Just download the files from Dan Rosenberg's website, and then open terminal on a mac and invoke ./run.sh from a shell. It took me all of 15min. Good luck :)

biboon1

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Rooting app is not moving past *daemon started successfully*. Any suggestions? (I'm in debugging, charge only mode, and connected via USB)

IC3D

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After successfully extracting the Dan Rosenberg's exploit.zip , and running the run.bat and adb.exe, it went thru the processes and said complete, rebooted my phone and all, but I see nothing different, no SuperUser installed, nothing. Tried to download an app for only rooted users and no luck, said phone didn't have root access. I'm no rookie @ this either.. I hack/mod Droid X, X2, iPhone's and was the first person to turn a Sprint iPhone4S into an AT&T iPhone4S, fully functional [which on plenty of forums tell you that is impossible.. it's not! (will post how I did it some day here shortly.. Just became a member... BUT....So I know what I'm doing here, yet having no luck. Any advice?

Nick Monreal

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I got the exact same response when trying to root my Droid 4. Not understanding the problem. :( I have the latest drivers installed and USB debugging enabled. So frustrating.