Droid 4 display contrast and saturation

bgeoghegan

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else find the D4 display a little too "punchy"? I'm not sure if it's the saturation level or the contrast that seems too high. The warmth-coolness balance seems OK. I'm trying Screen Adjuster with the contrast at -20 and other settings at defaults. It helps but it also dims the screen a little. Any tips?
Thanks,
Bob G

WilburNJ

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Bob,

Thanks for the tip on Screen Adjuster. I'm going to check it out.

Funny, but I find the D4 screen a bit washed out and not contrasty enough, at least for my taste. But, I also think that might be because I keep the brightness on auto and things are perhaps a bit dim. Maybe I will see the same thing as you if I brightened by screen, but I'm trying generally to save my battery as much as possible. I have the unlimited plan with tethering thru VZW and I'm constantly having my D4 be a hotspot for my ipad when commuting on a train to/from work....

Best,

Will

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bgeoghegan

bgeoghegan

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Wilbur,
Please post back on what you find with Screen Adjust. It looks good for boosting colors. Maybe my D4 is off-spec. The wood on an an Angry Birds screen looks a little orange to me. I'm usually on auto for brightness and find it sometimes too dim as well -- or slow reacting to brightness changes. I wish there was a built-in way to bias the auto adjust brighter or dimmer than Moto's idea for best instead of being limited to auto or manual. There's another app called Screen Filter. By default it dims the display by a lot for night time use. It's also adjustable when you bring it down from the notification bar after launch. These 2 apps might do the trick.

Honestly I may well have unusual requirements and tastes. I'm used to sensor-calibrated PC monitors for photography and I also want the D4 to give me a night mode that preserves dark adapted vision for astronomy.
Best,
Bob

Rory.Gibb

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
> ... and I also want the D4 to give me a night mode that preserves dark
> adapted vision for astronomy.

I have been using Screen Filter (as a widget) for one-button touch to dim screen 50%. Saves my eyes for reading in dark conditions, may help preserve your night vision a bit.

Asad Ullah Khan

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else find the D4 display a little too "punchy"? I'm not sure if it's the saturation level or the contrast that seems too high. The warmth-coolness balance seems OK. I'm trying Screen Adjuster with the contrast at -20 and other settings at defaults. It helps but it also dims the screen a little. Any tips?
Thanks,
Bob G

I just got the phone a few days ago, and yep, I noticed the same thing while watching movies on it. Took a few screenshots of scenes, sent them to my laptop and compared them with the ones on the phone side-by-side. I'd say the contrast AND saturation levels are a little higher than normal. Even after I set the contrast to -20 using Screen Adjuster, the saturation levels were still there. Especially the green levels: very noticeable. Wish there was a way to desaturate the colours a bit.