[How To] Manually upgrade to ICS on Droid 4

neiromn

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of waiting for the OTA to push so I found a good a copy that seems to be the official ICS package. I flashed two nights ago using RSDLite 5.7 and everything is working just fine.

Here is the step by step of what I did Last night.
Android 4.0.4 System Version 6.16.217
6.7.2-180_DR4-16_M2-37
Blur_Version.6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US

1. Download the software package (803.5 MB)
2. Download and install RSDLite 5.7
3. Download and install the Motorola USB Drivers
4. Power off your phone
5. Connect your phone to your PC with USB cable.
6. Hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu
7. Use the volume down button to navigate to "AP Fastboot" then use the volume up button to select it
8. Open RSDLite, press the "..." button at the top, and select the image .zip file
9. Select "Decompress And Start Flashing" and wait for the process to finish (it will take around 30-40 minutes)
10. During this time the phone will reboot and you should see the Android upgrading screen followed by another reboot and loading into initial phone setup once ICS starts.

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS FULLY CHARGED BEFORE YOU DO THIS!
To my knowledge there is no way to return to gingerbread once you do this update.
Take note that I did this upgrade after flashing back to a stock gingerbread package, I do not know if it works with rooted/modded setups. if anyone tries this out on rooted or modded please let us know.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Good thread. Glad you made it.

For the sake of fairness I will post this method as well in the quote at the end of this post. It can be used by anybody, rooted or unrooted. (The link will lead to in-depth instructions for the rooted, but unrooted upgrade is a piece of cake.) The time consuming part is downloading the zip; the update process itself is 10 minutes tops, as I have done it to three D4s now.

Between the above post and this one, everyone has options. Hope we all find ICS happiness.

Answered my own question. DL from here: ICS Leak 6.16.217 Update zip, boot.img and crc - xda-developers
In that zip there's a zip that's the official update, copy to external SD card, boot into recovery, install, done.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Do I need to root the phone again after the update? Should I unroot it before the update?

Not sure about the OP method but the one I linked to can be done rooted. Just takes more work. read up on it. Hopefully the OP can give insight on his as well.

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Using the official leak I just copied the ZIP from XDA to the SD card on my device and loaded through the menus when booting the phone with up/down/power held down. I'm not rooted. Nothing complicated once I found the procedure.

wanticsbad

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
My D4 is rooted. OTA ICS install failed. I've been trying for 12 hrs to get ICS...Your method looks doable, but I can't figure out which is the "image . zip" file you say to select through RSDlite...Which is that? I did download the software package and can find it. Oh please help quickly. My phone is still ok but my brain is bricked.

wanticsbad

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Update: Heh, heh...I think, like a good monkey, I chose the right file for RSDLite to upgrade my phone with. It appears to be working and all the files it's "decompressing" are img. files. Thank you in advance, everyone, for all your threads here. It will be a miracle if I end up with a working Droid with ICS on it. But so far so good.

wanticsbad

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
The process didn't work. My phone's rooted so maybe that's why. It's still exactly like it was before going through the steps. The RSDLite said "Finished" and "Pass" but no changes that I can see...Any suggestions?

imperialreign

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Used the OP's method on a rooted D4. Worked fine. OTA upgrade failed 2x, so I decided on manual install. Temporarily de-rooted the phone via VooDoo OTA rootkeeper, and verified temp de-root with SuperUser. ICS installed fine. Initial boot required nearly a dozen apps to be updated for ICS, some auto, a few required manual updating . . . phone was de-rooted by ICS upgrade. Followed method: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-hacks/220372-ics-root-tool.html to re-root phone, successfully. Needed to back up root with VooDoo, and download new SU binaries. All seems to be working fine, so far!

wanticsbad

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I had tried the VooDoo temp de-root, then the OTA, and it hadn't helped. But last night I tried *#*#checkin#*#*# and then tried the OTA update again, and it worked, downloaded and installed as it should and ICS is working great. I have no idea if the "checkin" did something, or it was coincidence. I'm glad to have ICS and I really appreciate this forum. Will go try Imperialreign's link to re-root--I neglected to update an su binary, I think, and lost root.

KnightCrusader

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Super. I did this, and now my phone is stuck in Fastboot with a bunch of Invalid CG OTV errors. I am going to download the file again and see if it will flash correctly this time, otherwise I got a nice paperweight.

I was coming from GB where the OTA was failing due to files being modified in /pre-install.

Anyone seen or been able to fix these kinds of issues?

nightpxd09

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue.... I attempted to flash a rom and it didnt take so it got stuck in a boot loop. now my phones battery is dead and i cant get it to charge at all... it freezes at the motorola M logo and dosnt charge. Any idea how to get around that??? any help would be awesome... thanks

Zephyr1982

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!
I'm trying to restore Android 4.0.4 System Version 6.16.217.
Can I flash Android 4.0.4 System Version 6.16.217 on the same Android version with this method?
Thanks.

Zephyr1982

May 19, 2013
Visit site
you can flash the. xml file with rsd lite, to restore, the update only works to update.

sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for Droid 4

Sent from my Clear using Android Central Forums
Hi, sd_shadow, thaks for your reply, I'm writing from Italy.
Could you post a short guide? I'm not too expert.......
I've bought an used Droid 4 with ICS 4.0.4 (release 217) and has some lags and wi-fi/bluetooth don't work.
I've already download the ICS stock rom, Motoroloa drivers ance RDS.
I would try to flash the entire rom upon the existing rom and see if the phone will be restored. The flash will be a flash of a rom upon a same rom.
Now the phone has Android ICS 4.0.4. - 6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US without root permissions.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards!

Zephyr1982

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi sd_shadow I flashed ICS rom thanks to you guide.
Everything it's ok!
Now I think my Wi-fi/Bluetooth are broken.
Wi-fi find networks 1 time on 10 and from about 1 meter from the router.
The other times when i turn on Wi-fi, networks are not displayed and the phone go slow and lag too much and the botton ON on wi-fi settings stay on ON for several minutes.
Bluetooth has the same behavior.
Does anyone has the same problem?
Thanks!
Best regards.