Thoughts on inductive charger, for anyone interested

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So I had to buy an inductive charger the other week so that I could charge and wipe my old D4 that had a bad charging port. Overall, I like having the inductive charger on the replacement phone. It's very convenient to just drop the phone on the charging pad and forget about it. However, it does have a few cons:

1. There is a loud "DING!" when you put the handset on the charger. Like ridiculously loud. Like if you have the charger in your bedroom and your SO is asleep when you put it on the charger, they'll probably wake up and give you a WTF look.

2. The inductive charging door makes the phone a tad thicker than it is with the stock cover. This shouldn't be much of a surprise, given that they need some additional space for the guts of the induction system, but it is noticeably thicker. Comparing it to my company D4 (with stock cover) there is a very perceptible difference. I've always felt that the D4 felt a little thinner in the hand than you would expect it to because of a slightly tapered/concave back. If you have a cradle or case there's a good chance that it will no longer fit.

3. The feel of the battery door is different. Instead of having that slightly rubbery feel and a textured pattern that made the phone almost "non-slip" in your hands, the battery door for the inductive charger is perfectly smooth. My phone just got a lot more slippery. I don't know if the non-texture back was an engineering requirement for the inductive system, but this is by far the most annoying thing about this system. It drives me crazy.

4. It definitely seems slower to charge to full than the plug-in charger.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the inductive charger and has a question I'd be happy to try to answer it.

Caped Codder

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Verizon web site has the back for $40 and the pad for $50. I think I paid a little less on Ebay. The slick back I solved by applying a full-phone screen protector. It doesn't interfere with charging. I have a pad at home and one at work. After using my lapdock it would get hot and stop charging until I rebooted the phone. The ICS update cured this problem. I like the inductive charger a lot but I do wish I could disable the beep.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I got it from Verizon. After my employer's discount I paid about $60 for the back and mat combined, but I think that list price is around $80 total.

fredlaws

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have and love the Motorola Droid 4. However charging, even with a battery pack is often inopportune.

I thought that Droid 4's could be charged using induction but I am having a difficult time finding the right cover that supposedly makes this possible. I just paid for a new back cover and it was just like the one that came with the phone. Does anyone have a lead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret