Shift key

BBBandit

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Why does my shift key not appear to be working correctly. It appears to only do it in text messaging. I can not figure out if I have something wrong in settings.

Sent from my DROID4 using Android Central Forums

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine sometimes works like it used to when hitting and releasing and typing a letter to capitalize. But other times I must hold the key down and type the letter to capitalize it. The latter is applying to this post. I don't know why it alternates between the two. It is annoying.

cthunder

May 2, 2011
Visit site
To get mine to work. I had to goto System Settings>Language and Input>Physical Keybad and make Ompapd-Keypad default. If that doesn't work goto Manage Apps>ALL>Chrome and disable it.

BBBandit

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
cthunder,
I do not see that option. It has mapphone-switch which is set to English (us)- android keyboard. The other is omap4-keypad and it is set to English (us) - android keyboard. No option I can see for ompapd default. Chrome is not activated on my phone.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed on certain web sites/apps it misbehaves, but on the more mainstream ones its fine. I think its something like 'multiple libraries exist' and not every site/app invokes the correct one...

BBBandit

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did a factory reset after update. Not sure where to clear the cache.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
This may sound crazy, but give a try-it has worked for some people:
Go to 'Manage Apps' and uninstall the Chrome updates.
Reboot and see if it helped.

If it did, disable automatic Chrome updates or Chrome entirely.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did a factory reset after update. Not sure where to clear the cache.

It's an option under Settings > Apps(swipe to see All Apps) > look for the Asus keyboard

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

L Rochester

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine sometimes works like it used to when hitting and releasing and typing a letter to capitalize. But other times I must hold the key down and type the letter to capitalize it. The latter is applying to this post. I don't know why it alternates between the two. It is annoying.

In order for your keyboard to work properly:
Go to Language & input
Physical Keyboard
omap4-Keypad
Then check choose keyboard layout (Set up Keyboard Layout)
Check the box on the right for English (US) Android Keyboard
Your Keyboard will work like before this disaster Jellybean (Windows Me update nightmare reminder) . :mad:

L Rochester

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Go to Language & input
Physical Keyboard
omap4-Keypad
Your Keyboard will work like before this disaster Jellybean (Windows Me update nightmare reminder)

BBBandit

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well unfortunately that is what has been checked. Here is one thing that is going on. this symbol comes up when I hold shift and the colon key > the greater symbol. Not a major thing I guess. Thanks for the tip tho.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Go to Language & input
Physical Keyboard
omap4-Keypad
Your Keyboard will work like before this disaster Jellybean (Windows Me update nightmare reminder) . :mad:

So far this is working. We'll see over time. I hope this is the fix I've been needing.

Jacob Wardell

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Android phone, and I tried a lot of stuff to get the Shift Key to work on my USB keyboard when I had it plugged into my phone. I found that the stock Google/Android keyboard app, the Samsung Keyboard app, and the SwiftKey Keyboard app did not solve my problem. I did come across an app however that DOES solve the Shift key problem: The "Go Keyboard" app on the Google Play app store.

After I installed this app and set it as the default keyboard app on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5), the Shift key worked just fine on my phone (capitalizing letters and allowing me to type symbols above the number keys).

I hope this works for you, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol