Couple of tech websites have reported that although Verizon won't carry the Pure/Style, they will have the Droid Turbo 2, probably Verizon branded with some bloat. Might have wireless charging and a plastic OLED screen that is supposed to be unbreakable. Price around $600. Same hardware inside as the Pure, maybe!!
    08-24-2015 03:55 AM
    Pure all the way as it will be free from Verizon bloat and have a far better chance at having an unlockable bootloader!

G4'ed it!
    08-24-2015 04:05 AM
    Since I have to pay full price to keep my UDP, this has little relevance to me. Why would I pay more money for a bloated up, possibly carrier-restricted phone?

I am very likely to get an XPE at launch or very soon there after. As of now, only decision is whether I can walk-in to Best Buy and get a 32 GB model on release day or if I have to order larger than 16 GB from Motorola.
    08-24-2015 05:14 AM
    Best Buy doesn't have a stellar record for having quantity phones of any kind on a launch day. If you can do a pre-order from Moto you would probably have a better chance of having it on launch day.
    08-24-2015 05:18 AM
    If this is true, then I don't understand Verizon's reasoning behind the $600 price tag. Do they really think an OLED screen, wireless charging, and "value-added software" is worth such a massive price increase?
    08-24-2015 08:44 AM
    With the new pricing plans from Verizon I'm never purchasing a phone through them ever again if I can avoid it. I'll just get the Pure phone that's bloat free.
    08-24-2015 09:05 AM
    My guesses (since the specs haven't been announced) on how it'll be souped up over the Style/Pure Edition....

- Snapdragon 820 (versus the 808 in Style/PE)
    - Wireless Charging (not present in Style/PE)
    - new screen (as mentioned by the OP and the tech articles)
    - USB-C charging port (yes... this would be awesome)
    - BIG BATTERY (possibly 3800mah+ like the 1st Turbo versus the 3000mah in the Style/PE)

Other than the possibility of USB-C, most everything above is similar to how the Turbo differentiated itself from the Moto X 2014. I think if they get most of these enhancements into the phone, it will more than justify the higher price tag. Bloat doesn't bother me, it can be disabled. It should have the same Moto software on top of v5.1 or v6 that the Style/PE will have.
    08-24-2015 09:21 AM
    I don't think any carrier in the US will be carrying the Motorola Moto X Style aka Moto X Pure Edition.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    nemov likes this.
    08-24-2015 09:23 AM
    My guesses (since the specs haven't been announced) on how it'll be souped up over the Style/Pure Edition....

- Snapdragon 820 (versus the 808 in Style/PE)
    - Wireless Charging (not present in Style/PE)
    - new screen (as mentioned by the OP and the tech articles)
    - USB-C charging port (yes... this would be awesome)
    - BIG BATTERY (possibly 3800mah+ like the 1st Turbo versus the 3000mah in the Style/PE)

Other than the possibility of USB-C, most everything above is similar to how the Turbo differentiated itself from the Moto X 2014. I think if they get most of these enhancements into the phone, it will more than justify the higher price tag. Bloat doesn't bother me, it can be disabled. It should have the same Moto software on top of v5.1 or v6 that the Style/PE will have.
    A new turbo is likely due out before Christmas. No 820 before 2016.

Verizon doesn't need to differentiate the Turbo 2 from the Pure Edition because they wont have the pure edition on their shelves and 99% of the people walking through the door never will hear of it.

I would guess is the Turbo 2 will be a moto X pure edition with wireless charging, a slightly larger battery, and verizon branding. No usb c, still an 808 (maybe an 810).
    Evilnut likes this.
    08-24-2015 10:21 AM
    what does everyone think about the POLED vs OLED vs LED screens ? I have never heard of a plastic screen before
    08-24-2015 04:18 PM
    Can careless about AMOLED or wireless charging. I'd rather have a stock Android (according to motorola) then a VZW bloated OS. Plus I'm sure VZW will have to approve OS and put their spin on it and ruin it. Also the Pure will most likely get more developer support for rooting and such.
    08-24-2015 05:38 PM
    As long Verizon allows the as the X style on their network there's no compelling reason IMO to wait for a much more expensive turbo 2
    jimbo1mcm likes this.
    08-25-2015 12:18 AM
    As long Verizon allows the as the X style on their network there's no compelling reason IMO to wait for a much more expensive turbo 2
    These early articles claim VZW will sell the Maxx2 for $300. Of course how they know this is anyone's guess. If it's accurate though, I think that's a decent price for additional wireless charging. Of course you're giving up the whole motomaker thing and you'll have to spend all of 2 minutes disabling the 'bloat'.
    08-25-2015 06:25 AM
    I think the biggest issue that gives me pause with going the droid route is the issue of timely updates. The bloat thing is way overblown now that it can be easily disabled. I'd love a hybrid of the pure and play. Play battery, play size screen, but pure resolution and processor. I don't care about wireless charging but some do. Getting quick updates and being able to customize are strong points of going through Motorola.
    08-25-2015 06:48 AM
    what does everyone think about the POLED vs OLED vs LED screens ? I have never heard of a plastic screen before
    Heard the Turbo 2 can survive a 2m fall.
    08-25-2015 07:37 AM
    These early articles claim VZW will sell the Maxx2 for $300. Of course how they know this is anyone's guess. If it's accurate though, I think that's a decent price for additional wireless charging. Of course you're giving up the whole motomaker thing and you'll have to spend all of 2 minutes disabling the 'bloat'.
    They're claiming that because the Moto X Play is supposed to be $300.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-25-2015 09:04 AM
    Heard the Turbo 2 can survive a 2m fall.
    I'm confused about the concept of a POLED. I assumed that this screen tech has nothing to do with the glass that sits on top of it, which is the most common thing to break in a fall. So you're saying the POLED comes with a plastic layer above the screen that serves to replace the glass?
    08-25-2015 09:36 AM
    I'm confused about the concept of a POLED. I assumed that this screen tech has nothing to do with the glass that sits on top of it, which is the most common thing to break in a fall. So you're saying the POLED comes with a plastic layer above the screen that serves to replace the glass?
    No idea, sorry. Your thoughts were mine as well, but I'm just relaying what I heard.
    08-25-2015 12:10 PM
    Turbo has 3900 MAh battery and every flagship Droid in the last 3 years has come with a bigger battery.

That means at the very minimum the battery needs to be 4000 mAh but since the screen is being bumped by. 5 inches 4500 would be a better size.
    08-27-2015 12:19 PM
    Agreed. Why am I reading that the Droid Turbo 2 may have a 3000 mah battery? That would be a horrible step back for what has been best in class in battery.
    08-27-2015 12:45 PM
    Agreed. Why am I reading that the Droid Turbo 2 may have a 3000 mah battery? That would be a horrible step back for what has been best in class in battery.
    where'd you read that? everything I've seen has been at least 3600
    08-28-2015 12:59 AM
    no doubt $300 is a great price if true, and the bigger battery is a huge plus. still have no clue why the pure didn't come with the same 3600 ... it's nice to be able to disable some of the bloat, but not everything can be disabled so it's far from stock. if it could be uninstalled that's be a different story. plus there's the whole carrier branding thing, not having MotoMaker and timely updates.
    08-28-2015 01:05 AM
    where'd you read that? everything I've seen has been at least 3600
    I forgot, but I heard the 3600 is for the Droid Maxx 2, which will be the US version of the Moto Play. Since the Turbo 2 will be based off the Style, the speculation is that it will have a 3000 mah battery just like the Style.
    08-28-2015 08:51 AM
    I forgot, but I heard the 3600 is for the Droid Maxx 2, which will be the US version of the Moto Play. Since the Turbo 2 will be based off the Style, the speculation is that it will have a 3000 mah battery just like the Style.
    that would be a huge dropoff ... I never understood the whole US version thing. I mean, I get it but the phones are so drastically different I really don't think there's a comparison. anyone interested in the Pure, similar to Nexus, is typically a lot more interested in having a bloat free, non carrier branded, unlocked phone running (near) stock with timely updates. take that away and it's just not even close to the same phone.
    08-28-2015 08:10 PM