MAXX 2 SD Memory Card Issues

Zillinifan83

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone having issues where the SD memory card "unexpectedly" unmounts at random times? I worked with Verizon and they have replaced the card and subsequently the phone but I am still having issues. Currently it re-finds the card sometimes and sometimes I need to do a power off/on to get it to find the card.

Zillinifan83

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I should clarify. It says SD card unexpectedly removed even though it wasn't. Also getting error message that says No storage area found. Anyone else having these issues?

Posted via the Android Central App

blackwoodsbackwoods

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Did your memory card issue ever get resolved? I am having the same problem. Motorola customer service wants me to do a factory data reset, but I am hesitant because it took a bit of effort to get this new phone set up the way I wanted and I don't want to go through that for nothing. It appears with others having the same problem a reset is not the answer. What kind of card were you using? Mine is a Sandisk Ultra 32gb class 10. I have a friend who got the same phone at the same time and his is doing it too.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to report in on this my Maxx 2 is not having this issue. I had a SanDisk 32 GB card in it initially and it now has a 64 GB PNY card in it.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. No I never had an issue with the SanDisk card. I just upgraded to the 64GB card for more capacity. Both cards worked without problems.

RoyG Biv

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I am also having the same problem with the SD card on my Droid Maxx 2. Using San Disk Ultra Plus 32 GB MicroSD HC. The error message is random. It will work fine for a week, then the message, then other times, I can restart the phone and 10 seconds after the restart I get the error message. First I had it set up as external storage, then I tried formatting it as internal storage. Still have the problem. Has anyone heard a solution?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is to try re-seating the card in the tray. My card kind of "snapped" into the tray and felt like it was inserted solidly. Worth a try. Power off the phone first obviously.

garymdietz

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've spent WAY too much time on this and have confirmed (can I believe them?) with Verizon that this is a known Android 6.0.1 issue. You can see it pop up everywhere. My summary:

1. New Droid Maxx 2 from Verizon around a month ago.
2. New 64 GB SD card, UHS1 Type 10. The fast kind for HD cameras.
3. I used the phone to format it as internal memory.
4. It worked! For 3 weeks I had all of this memory. Was using for podcasts and photos and apps galore!
5. Around week 4, the phone told me that the card was uninstalled and I needed to reinstall it.
6. I tried a reboot and it would work for 10 mins. But then die again
7. I powered down, opened and reinserted the card, powered up.
8. Worked intermittently but would fail soon thereafter.

Finally, it stopped working. Many apps failed - some worked halfway. All of my photos gone! (That's why we backup!) All of my podcasts gone! And my TouchDown HD email attachments - even new ones - still don't work. I can't get to old ones or new ones.

I am going to have to factory reset and install everything and use without card until Google has a fix. Verizon told me that they are hearing more and more of these reports and that they have to wait for a Google fix.

ARGH!!!! A $384 upgrade mostly to this phone so I could get 6.0.1 and lots of memory

Can anyone confirm that they see the same thing I do -- and that they heard the same from Verizon?

Thanks,

Gary

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My card is formatted as external, not internal (or adoptive) and I've had no issues. As far as Verizon goes I can't say for sure. Personally I never believe what a Verizon rep tells me. I wonder if you should try the card as external? Just to see what happens?

Last edited:

Reg Duke

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issues with card. The local Verizon store said there should be a fix within a couple of weeks. My phone has been replaced and new card and still have the same issues.

noballoffire

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I am experiencing everything you've said, in that order and on the same time-frame, except my card has always been mounted as external storage. So that won't help.

Anyone have more information about the "fix in a couple weeks" that's been mentioned here?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you tried re-seating the card in the sim tray? As I mentioned in an earlier post my card sort of snapped into the tray and felt solid. I remember something about some Samsung phones having a similar issue and some people suspected the tray was shaky.

waltw0355

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've spent WAY too much time on this and have confirmed (can I believe them?) with Verizon that this is a known Android 6.0.1 issue. You can see it pop up everywhere. My summary:

1. New Droid Maxx 2 from Verizon around a month ago.
2. New 64 GB SD card, UHS1 Type 10. The fast kind for HD cameras.
3. I used the phone to format it as internal memory.
4. It worked! For 3 weeks I had all of this memory. Was using for podcasts and photos and apps galore!
5. Around week 4, the phone told me that the card was uninstalled and I needed to reinstall it.
6. I tried a reboot and it would work for 10 mins. But then die again
7. I powered down, opened and reinserted the card, powered up.
8. Worked intermittently but would fail soon thereafter.

Finally, it stopped working. Many apps failed - some worked halfway. All of my photos gone! (That's why we backup!) All of my podcasts gone! And my TouchDown HD email attachments - even new ones - still don't work. I can't get to old ones or new ones.

I am going to have to factory reset and install everything and use without card until Google has a fix. Verizon told me that they are hearing more and more of these reports and that they have to wait for a Google fix.

ARGH!!!! A $384 upgrade mostly to this phone so I could get 6.0.1 and lots of memory

Can anyone confirm that they see the same thing I do -- and that they heard the same from Verizon?

Thanks,

Gary

Me too. Exactly the same situation. Sandisk 64 GB type 10 not being read. It worked for a couple of weeks after mounting it as internal memory. now after I re-insert the SD card it will read for a few minutes then gone again.

Last edited by a moderator:

danhotchkiss

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I've reseated my SD card several times, and still have this problem now and then. For me it's not as frequent as it is for others--maybe once every two or three weeks.