Phone keeps disconnecting from WiFi network?

dthomp99

May 30, 2016
Visit site
For the past few months, my phone has been having problems staying connected to my home WiFi (no other hotspot has had any problems). No other device on the same network has the same problem. In attempts to fix this, I have: done a factory reset, wiped cache partition, and just the plain 'ol off-then-on attempt. Nothing I do seems to work! Someone please help. I can't keep using so much data!

anon(9691750)

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
For the past few months, my phone has been having problems staying connected to my home WiFi (no other hotspot has had any problems). No other device on the same network has the same problem. In attempts to fix this, I have: done a factory reset, wiped cache partition, and just the plain 'ol off-then-on attempt. Nothing I do seems to work! Someone please help. I can't keep using so much data!

Is your phone running an early version of lollpop? If it is then that might be the reason. If not, then it might just be a software issue. I'd contact the manufacturer and see if and try to get a replacement device.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I am running Android 4.4.4. I would try and get a replacement, but my warranty ended months ago.

The Maxx 2 comes with a 12 month warranty, and Verizon did not start selling it until last November, and it never had 4.4.4. Do you have the older Droid Maxx rather than the Maxx 2? (This is a forum for the Maxx 2, not the original Droid Maxx.)

One possibility: on your home network, you may be having channel interference or something similar. Try changing your router to a different channel (most people use channel 1, 6, and 11 on a 2.4 GHz network, because a WiFi channel actually spans about 5 channels. If it is 5.4 GHz, you can use just about anything.)

If you are using WPA/TKIP for security, try changing to WPA2/AES. (If you are using WEP, DEFINITELY try changing to WPA2).

Neither of these things will affect your other devices - they will see the change and automatically reconnect. (Also, sometimes restarting the WiFi access point/router will help.)

If you have Bluetooth turned on, try toggling it off to see if that is interfering.

Last edited:

dthomp99

May 30, 2016
Visit site
The Maxx 2 comes with a 12 month warranty, and Verizon did not start selling it until last November, and it never had 4.4.4. Do you have the older Droid Maxx rather than the Maxx 2? (This is a forum for the Maxx 2, not the original Droid Maxx.)

One possibility: on your home network, you may be having channel interference or something similar. Try changing your router to a different channel (most people use channel 1, 6, and 11 on a 2.4 GHz network, because a WiFi channel actually spans about 5 channels. If it is 5.4 GHz, you can use just about anything.)

If you are using WPA/TKIP for security, try changing to WPA2/AES. (If you are using WEP, DEFINITELY try changing to WPA2).

Neither of these things will affect your other devices - they will see the change and automatically reconnect. (Also, sometimes restarting the WiFi access point/router will help.)

If you have Bluetooth turned on, try toggling it off to see if that is interfering.

I've changed the WPA from "Both" to "WPA-1" and "WPA-2" and neither have worked. I also tried changing the name of my network. Bluetooth is off. Also, I changed the Bandwidth from 40MHz to 20MHz, no change.

The connection status next to the name shows full bars until I try to connect, then it goes to one and says "Poor Connection."

Mikhail Libin

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I had similar issues and searched everywhere on internet and then... I figured if it's Verizon then I have to start from there. Here is what I did and it worked. Log in: VZ Protect, Status, WiFi protection should be OFF. Problem is solved.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've changed the WPA from "Both" to "WPA-1" and "WPA-2" and neither have worked. I also tried changing the name of my network. Bluetooth is off. Also, I changed the Bandwidth from 40MHz to 20MHz, no change.

The connection status next to the name shows full bars until I try to connect, then it goes to one and says "Poor Connection."

What kind of router is it?

Also, on the phone, what happens if you go into settings / wifi, tap the menu control bottom right and choose "advanced", and turn off "avoid poor connections"? Does that help?

dthomp99

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I am not sure what you mean by what kind of router. Its just whatever AT&T U-Verse gave us. And the "avoid poor connections" option is already unchecked.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but have you tried restarting in safe mode? After you long-press power to bring up the power off dialog, rather than tap the power off control, long-press it until it brings up the restart in safe mode prompt. If the problem goes away in safe mode, there is likely some sort of third party app conflict. Do the normal restart to bring the phone back up in normal, non-safe mode.

Just note that sometimes home screen widgets get messed up in safe mode and you may need to set them up again. Otherwise, you won't lose any data.

As for the gateway router, is there some sort of model number on the sticker (and a software version?) I don't have AT&T/UVerse, but I'm guessing that they have some sort of model number on it.

dthomp99

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Wow! That really worked! I was able to determine from the Safe Mode that my phone was not broken. Turns out, I had a VPN app I totally forgot about hidden away in my apps! Deleted it and BOOM! WiFi is working like a charm!

dthomp99

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Wow. I feel really stupid. I thought it worked, but the problem is still there... I can connect and stay connected for like 30min every time I clear the cache partition.

MI Miah

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
I'd just like to find out whether anyone with this problem has McAfee Mobile Security installed on their phone, as uninstalling this app seemed to have resolved the issue on my Medion LIFE X5020...

miqrogroove

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Had the WiFi Disconnected error on a Verizon device every time. I did this to fix it:

Settings
Wifi
Advanced
Wi-Fi control history
Security & Privacy
Disable

Confirm disable, then cancel reversiob.

Solved for me!

freaky4u

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
When you say log in .. To what please?

I have a Kyocera Dura Force running Android 7.1.2 that I purchased in early 2017.

I have this same problem...go to connect to my network, connects and then disconnects immediately. Was intermittent before but it is all the time now. I read this thread and I have easily solved the issue for me.

The post that says to log in, etc. I have an app next to my "settings" app that I just happened to see while going back to settings several times trying to fix this. It says 'Security & Privacy' and has a little lock icon on it as well as the Verizon 'V' that looks similar to a checkmark. I came to the conclusion that this is what the poster was referring to when they said Log In.

I opened it and I have 4 rows with titles. The last one is 'Wi-Fi Security'. It says 'ON' and I opened that one. Another list opens and the last one says 'Manage Wi-Fi Networks' and also shows that I have some blocked networks. I opened that one and have two choices again, Blocked Networks and Allowed Networks. I clicked on 'Blocked' and low and behold my network was in that list. I checked the box next to my network and hit the Remove button that was at the bottom of the screen.

I closed everything and went and connected to my network and I am back in business.

I am not a techie type so sorry if this is long and drawn out. I do hope that it helps someone else out. Dang that we are so dependent on our devices now.

Murf_1

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
My phone is a Moto Z2 Play. This will not apply to everyone, but this is what finally fixed the issue for me. I tried the forget network, reset network settings, and messed with router settings to no avail. I had the phone for over a year without issues. Then I did a factory reset (due to bad advice from moto support, they thought it would allow me to get Oreo update - it didn't). Well you have to reinstall everything and try to remember the setup. I was guessing it may have been an app gone crazy so I started uninstalling apps that I wondered about. I have Cricket as my carrier. I was looking in the myCricket app. Settings > Device Settings > Cricket WiFi Manager. It defaults to On. I turned it Off and that fixed my issue. They should have it default to off and give a warning what could happen if you turn it on. Hope that helps out other Cricket users.

Firstchild

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! I just went into my VZ Security app and found that my home network was blocked. this infuriates me because I did not block my home network, this is a Verizon app doing this. I can't imagine how much mobile data I have wasted since my home network got blocked by this app. Thank you so much for this advice my phone now stays connected to my home Wi-Fi.

Firstchild

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Brilliant, Mikhail Libin! VZ protect had blocked my home network! I removed my home network from the blocked list and now my WiFi stays connected on my phone! Thank you, this has been driving me crazy.