First thread in the new forum!!! (other than the one that started the forum of course)

So with the new on screen notification system there isn't going to be a notification light?

Looking forward to this phone as a worthy successor to my RMHD.
    07-23-2013 12:31 PM
    I believe so
    07-23-2013 12:51 PM
    I guess I'll reserve an opinion until I see it in practice.
    07-23-2013 12:53 PM
    So, if my app calls to the notification light, I wonder what happens...
    07-23-2013 01:04 PM
    So, if my app calls to the notification light, I wonder what happens...
    It probably won't do anything unless the device is wired to redirect the feature. I get what your saying though. Only time will tell how this new feature works and if it'll be widely adopted as the standard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    07-23-2013 02:55 PM
    It probably won't do anything unless the device is wired to redirect the feature. I get what your saying though. Only time will tell how this new feature works and if it'll be widely adopted as the standard.
    Actually, it's entirely possible the OS will take a request to the notification light as grounds to put the app icon on the screen. That would actually be an extremely cool default behavior.
    07-23-2013 05:23 PM
    Actually, it's entirely possible the OS will take a request to the notification light as grounds to put the app icon on the screen. That would actually be an extremely cool default behavior.
    Agreed -- Moto and Google should have already thought this out and in concept sounds pretty cool.
    07-23-2013 05:29 PM
    Here's a video that highlights the devices: Hands-on with the Droid MAXX, Droid Ultra and Droid Mini | Android Central

They talk about and show the active notification about half way through the video.
    07-23-2013 06:52 PM
    Ah yes. No notification light. So I guess the screen just flashes on and off. I'll be interested to see it in person.
    07-23-2013 08:07 PM
    Since its AMOLED, only the pixels needed to notify will consume power, more or less. With a backlit display the whole thing must illuminate.
    07-23-2013 09:32 PM
    Yes, its awful NON-RGB AMOLED. Which means another GRAINY screen. Yuck.

They are doing the same thing that has existed since the Nexus S, it was called "No LED". Basically it lights up a icon on the screen instead of a LED.

I'd much rather have an LED and a IPS/SLCD screen.

07-24-2013 11:27 AM
    I used NoLED with my first android phone. Worked well enough. I think I prefer the LED though. Or at least maybe a choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-24-2013 03:14 PM
    Ugh, I've been pretty excited to see these, but this is a huge turnoff for me. Multicolored LED is one of my favorite features for notifications. The screen doesn't help either.
    07-24-2013 11:45 PM
    The screen is at least an improvement over the RMHD right? I don't mind that screen so any improvement will be a bonus.
    07-24-2013 11:52 PM
    The screen is at least an improvement over the RMHD right? I don't mind that screen so any improvement will be a bonus.
    What exactly is the beef with the screen? I never had a RMHD. Just curious.
    07-25-2013 03:18 AM
    For me it was grainy when the screen was dimmer. I didnt mind it until I used the Galaxy Note II and saw how much better a phone screen could be.

What exactly is the beef with the screen? I never had a RMHD. Just curious.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-25-2013 06:08 AM
    For me it was grainy when the screen was dimmer. I didnt mind it until I used the Galaxy Note II and saw how much better a phone screen could be.
    Exactly. The Note 2's display is much clearer, and it has LESS PPI than the RMHD(267ppi vs 312ppi). Now imagine the HTC One with uniform subpixels at 468ppi.

Motorola chose AMOLED, again, so they could provide this stupid feature. Sure, its more informative than a LED, but it also requires more battery power to do so...and a lower quality display. Ugh.

Motorola used a LCD display on the AT&T Atrix HD, and it was beautiful. I hoped that was the transition to LCD, I was wrong.
    07-25-2013 07:58 AM
    Exactly. The Note 2's display is much clearer, and it has LESS PPI than the RMHD(267ppi vs 312ppi). Now imagine the HTC One with uniform subpixels at 468ppi.

Motorola chose AMOLED, again, so they could provide this stupid feature. Sure, its more informative than a LED, but it also requires more battery power to do so...and a lower quality display. Ugh.

Motorola used a LCD display on the AT&T Atrix HD, and it was beautiful. I hoped that was the transition to LCD, I was wrong.
    Its almost as if us consumers can't get the best of both world. Want a big battery? Okay, here is a mediocre screen. Want a great screen? Okay, here is an average battery.

Is it to much to ask for a 3500 mah battery, vibrant screen, and a good build quality?

bp3dots likes this.
    07-25-2013 08:11 AM
    Is it to much to ask for a 3500 mah battery, vibrant screen, and a good build quality?

I was excited when I had the Atrix HD (LCD Motorola phone) and people were modding them to accept and fit, a RMHD 3300mah battery. Alas, AT&T didn't cut it and I was back to Verizon.

At this point, I want a HTC One+Mophie...but knowing me, I'll end up with a Droid MAXX...whining about the screen the entire time.
    07-25-2013 08:14 AM

I was excited when I had the Atrix HD (LCD Motorola phone) and people were modding them to accept and fit, a RMHD 3300mah battery. Alas, AT&T didn't cut it and I was back to Verizon.

At this point, I want a HTC One+Mophie...but knowing me, I'll end up with a Droid MAXX...whining about the screen the entire time.
    That may happen to me. I love my Note but the size is beginning to annoy me slightly. I would love to have the HTC One but I keep considering the battery. But then again if I switch from a Note I may actually miss the size.

Maybe I will wait until the Note III releases before making a decision. Why is buying new technology always so tough? Heck, I have had my car for a year (2012 Acura TSX) and I sort of want to trade it for the new Acura RDX. No idea why either... I always want new stuff. Haha

07-25-2013 09:05 AM
    Its almost as if us consumers can't get the best of both world. Want a big battery? Okay, here is a mediocre screen. Want a great screen? Okay, here is an average battery.

Big Battery, good screen, good build quality (splash proof), and stable software (no lagging, hanging, rebooting)

I replaced the battery in my X2, and it too is going downhill. My wife's iphone 4 is 15 months old, and gets four hours of screen time on a charge. I looked at the iphone5 (stable OS) with a Mophie battery case.. but there is a a very long thread on apple's support complaining of battery life of iP5 being shorter than iP4. Using a battery to charge a battery seems inefficient and the setup does not appear water repellent.. on top of that it would cost more than a MAXX. Seeing the type notifications without having to touch the phone and knowing the battery is big enough to still provide good service in two years makes Ultra Maxx look promising.
    07-25-2013 01:30 PM
    Big Battery, good screen, good build quality (splash proof), and stable software (no lagging, hanging, rebooting)

I replaced the battery in my X2, and it too is going downhill. My wife's iphone 4 is 15 months old, and gets four hours of screen time on a charge. I looked at the iphone5 (stable OS) with a Mophie battery case.. but there is a a very long thread on apple's support complaining of battery life of iP5 being shorter than iP4. Using a battery to charge a battery seems inefficient and the setup does not appear water repellent.. on top of that it would cost more than a MAXX. Seeing the type notifications without having to touch the phone and knowing the battery is big enough to still provide good service in two years makes Ultra Maxx look promising.
    The iPhone 5 battery is ridiculously easy to replace, 2 screws and a suction cup. I went from a RAZR MAXX HD to an iPhone 5 (jailbroken) and have been a pretty happy camper (first iPhone ever). The signal is excellent (better than the MAXX) and the smoothness of the UI is unmatched. I can get through most days with the iPhone 5, but heavy use days I'm looking for juice.

Additionally, The iPhone 5 doesn't have a 3rd antenna, so it cannot do simultaneous voice/data...which does get frustrating, at least 4 times per week. Apps like email don't update until you open them, so if your phone notifies you about an email and you make a phone call, you're not going to be able to get to that email....very very frustrating.

If I didn't have jailbreak, I'd probably be pulling my hair out, but I'd honestly take the iPhone over most of whats available on Android right now. I just hope the DROID MAXX and HTC ONE are excellent.
    07-25-2013 02:28 PM
    I have a question posted to Motorola about the simultaneous voice/data. Also for clarification as to the MINI as to if it uses a TFT or AMOLED screen. The RAZR M is AMOLED and notification center would work much better with AMOLED, but Verizon's spec site says TFT.

The biggest issue with the iP5 is the small screen size, smallish battery, and fear of getting it wet and stop working. I personally am sick of surprise OTA updates, vendor bloatware, and system instabilities. I am hearing new versions of the iPhone may be delayed until late fall.

Just gotta wait.
    07-25-2013 10:24 PM