Spec which is better Droid Ultra Maxx or HTC One?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Agreed.

The display is the one thing you use on a the device at all times. Why would one want a sub par display?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I see absolutely nothing "subpar" about the display on my GNex. Visually, it's perfectly fine to my eyes. But I'll go chasing a spec sheet. Thanks for the tips!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I see absolutely nothing "subpar" about the display on my GNex. Visually, it's perfectly fine to my eyes. But I'll go chasing a spec sheet. Thanks for the tips!

I was referring to my previous Motorola devices. My bad. I've never used a GNEX.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You think the Galaxy Nexus looks fine? That explains why you can't see a difference between 720/1080 & AMOLED/LCD. You should be perfectly happy with the Droid MAXX.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I wont debate what phone is better for what person. What i will say is that my Htc One is outstanding. By far the best phone i've ever owned. So happy with the build, the materials... The camera functions are truly awesome.

Now about the display... When i bought my Htc Evo lte i thought it was the best display on a phone (and perhaps it was) but compared to the One the evo is just another phone. So damn nice.

I am curious to see how the new Maxx looks and operates to tell the truth but for now i'm super happy with my One

The Pentile type displays are the main reason i would never buy an S phone (among other reasons)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wont debate what phone is better for what person. What i will say is that my Htc One is outstanding. By far the best phone i've ever owned. So happy with the build, the materials... The camera functions are truly awesome.

Now about the display... When i bought my Htc Evo lte i thought it was the best display on a phone (and perhaps it was) but compared to the One the evo is just another phone. So damn nice.

I am curious to see how the new Maxx looks and operates to tell the truth but for now i'm super happy with my One

The Pentile type displays are the main reason i would never buy an S phone (among other reasons)

How is the battery on the HTC One? I wouldn't want anything less then my Note II but I would love that phone.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You think the Galaxy Nexus looks fine? That explains why you can't see a difference between 720/1080 & AMOLED/LCD. You should be perfectly happy with the Droid MAXX.
No, I can see a difference just fine, I just don't care. Don't put words in my mouth. I said a 1080p on a 5" screen isn't a difference you can see. You can debate it all you want, and you can be wrong all you want.

The difference between 720P and 1080P on a 50" tv has nothing to do with seating distances. A 720p video feed on my dad's 60" Sharp is noticeably pixelated compared to 1080p. The image is poor regardless of seating distance because the starting point sucks. You're STARTING with a stretched out pixelated image. Suggesting the same to be true on a 720p 5" screen is awesomely false.

The One is super nice. I was waiting for VZW to get the One but now I'm glad to have another option in the Maxx. The S4 isn't an option for me, merely because I've been through the Samsung update fiasco before. I dig Samsung hardware and actually like their lightweight plastic feel, but I don't like Touchwiz at all. I think the HTC One will end up proving to be a device that will last.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
No, I can see a difference just fine, I just don't care. Don't put words in my mouth. I said a 1080p on a 5" screen isn't a difference you can see. You can debate it all you want, and you can be wrong all you want.
Apparently you conflict with yourself.
The difference between 720P and 1080P on a 50" tv has nothing to do with seating distances. A 720p video feed on my dad's 60" Sharp is noticeably pixelated compared to 1080p. The image is poor regardless of seating distance because the starting point sucks. You're STARTING with a stretched out pixelated image. Suggesting the same to be true on a 720p 5" screen is awesomely false.
You know they make 720p TV's right?

It is absolutely possible to see a difference between 720p & 1080p on a 5" phone at normal viewing distance. It is also absolutely possible to see a difference between LCD & AMOLED at 1080p on a 5" phone. You said yourself you can see a difference, I can't possibly see why this debate continues. Either way, I'm not debating it further.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
How is the battery on the HTC One? I wouldn't want anything less then my Note II but I would love that phone.

Well when i compare to my friends Note 2, he does get better battery life. At work (i work construction) if i'm in hospital basements or areas where i get a low signal the battery does falter a bit faster. Otherwise my phone easily gets me thru the day without worry. I understand thats relative to actual use but i never bother digging if/until i have an issue. So far i have not.

One of the stand out battery saving features of the One (not saying other phone's dont do this) is that it turns off your data after prolonged periods of inactivity. Seems to help when i forget to do it myself lol

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Apparently you conflict with yourself.

You know they make 720p TV's right?

It is absolutely possible to see a difference between 720p & 1080p on a 5" phone at normal viewing distance. It is also absolutely possible to see a difference between LCD & AMOLED at 1080p on a 5" phone. You said yourself you can see a difference, I can't possibly see why this debate continues. Either way, I'm not debating it further.
No I'm not, I'm stating that I can see a difference in screen technologies. My GNex is pentile and I don't care. I have a 43" 720p Samsung Plasma. I also have a 40" 1080p Samsung LCD. The 60" Sharp that resides in my parent's living room is one that I purchased that I've spent plenty of time staring at through the years. I know a thing or two about displays. What I'm saying is that there is no difference in 720p and 1080p on my 40" LCD, and my Plasma looks just fine being "only" 720p. (other than sucking in the light reflection department of course ;) ). There are differences in picture quality, but not resolution. ;) On the 60", there is a HUGE difference between watching a movie broadcast over cable in 1080i and then popping in the BluRay of the same film. I can't say the same on my 40". There's a little difference because of compression, but I'm speaking strictly in terms of resolution.

We are seeing differences between technologies and visual tweaks, not resolutions. If you feel super uber cool by buying the latest and the greatest, go for it, there's nothing wrong with that. But don't state that Screen X is better than Screen Y strictly because it's 1080p. That's been my only point in this entire conversation. People are potentially robbing themselves when they decide to write a device off before even playing with it because of what's on a spec sheet. I almost did the same thing with the Galaxy Nexus until I picked it up, played with it and decided that it was similar enough to the screen on my original Galaxy S, which was and still is pleasant to look at. I learned my lesson, and despite it's short comings I've been happy with the device. Shoot, if CyanogenMod's Android 4.3 runs as well on it as 4.1.2 does, I'm really, really tempted to just hold my hand and keep it a while longer. ;)

zathus

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
pretending for a moment that the display is good. the camera is decent for a phone and the bootloader isnt locked down. then...
It comes down to gimiks and whats usable and the OS.

S4. touch wiz, not a fan. looking away pauses movies and such.. ok. wave my hand over the screen to answer. interesting but useless for the most part. IR blaster, so unlock my phone and launch an app or grab my tv remote. 40000 options of crap that I will never use. the S4 camera is a great example of this. some cool stuff but over all, holy cow. so much uselessness.

HTC one. Sense UI. i like this more then touch wiz but and has been trimmed down but its still not android. Zoe, pretty cool. Blink feed.. irritating at best. boom sound.. def my fav part of this phone. i like a strong speaker. button layout. wtf is with that? HTC in the middle? confusing as hell. a week with this phone i still pressed that stupid HTC logo a 1000 times expecting something. good build quality. also a strong selling point.

Droid Maxx. Almost stock android. super simple UI for the camera. (have this UI on my Gnex and i love it) the phone is always listening. Now, this is interesting. So, im making dinner.. my hands have crap on them but i want to text my daughter and see when shes gona be home. I see this as a very useful feature. something I would prob use A LOT. The shaking the phone to launch the camera seems useless. cute at best but over all pointless. the mirror thing that works with the netgear box (i think it was netgear) to send it to your TV. basicly a HDMI port via wifi. I use my phone a ton on my TV for movies. so again. something i can see as useful.

So in the end, if the maxx turns out to have a nice display (dont care what it says on paper, when i have it in my hands ill go off that), a good camera (once again, in my hands and ill use reviews to judge this) a solid speaker. I use my Gnex speaker a ton and man it sucks lol. I need loud! and an unlocked bootloader then im sold.

I think what has me really considering this in the first place is the fact that Moto, with all there flaws always delivers on 2 fronts. 1, great radios. and 2 great build quality. You cant argue those 2 points.

If this turns out to be another flop for Moto.. then Nexus 5 is what ill be waiting for.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
pretending for a moment that the display is good. the camera is decent for a phone and the bootloader isnt locked down. then...
It comes down to gimiks and whats usable and the OS.

S4. touch wiz, not a fan. looking away pauses movies and such.. ok. wave my hand over the screen to answer. interesting but useless for the most part. IR blaster, so unlock my phone and launch an app or grab my tv remote. 40000 options of crap that I will never use. the S4 camera is a great example of this. some cool stuff but over all, holy cow. so much uselessness.

HTC one. Sense UI. i like this more then touch wiz but and has been trimmed down but its still not android. Zoe, pretty cool. Blink feed.. irritating at best. boom sound.. def my fav part of this phone. i like a strong speaker. button layout. wtf is with that? HTC in the middle? confusing as hell. a week with this phone i still pressed that stupid HTC logo a 1000 times expecting something. good build quality. also a strong selling point.

Droid Maxx. Almost stock android. super simple UI for the camera. (have this UI on my Gnex and i love it) the phone is always listening. Now, this is interesting. So, im making dinner.. my hands have crap on them but i want to text my daughter and see when shes gona be home. I see this as a very useful feature. something I would prob use A LOT. The shaking the phone to launch the camera seems useless. cute at best but over all pointless. the mirror thing that works with the netgear box (i think it was netgear) to send it to your TV. basicly a HDMI port via wifi. I use my phone a ton on my TV for movies. so again. something i can see as useful.

So in the end, if the maxx turns out to have a nice display (dont care what it says on paper, when i have it in my hands ill go off that), a good camera (once again, in my hands and ill use reviews to judge this) a solid speaker. I use my Gnex speaker a ton and man it sucks lol. I need loud! and an unlocked bootloader then im sold.

I think what has me really considering this in the first place is the fact that Moto, with all there flaws always delivers on 2 fronts. 1, great radios. and 2 great build quality. You cant argue those 2 points.

If this turns out to be another flop for Moto.. then Nexus 5 is what ill be waiting for.
I agree. Granted, with the camera thing, the wrist flip is nice if it will work when the device is locked with a pin. The only reason for me is that I'll snap a pic of something I find funny or ridiculous on the road and with driving, putting in a pin and launching the camera takes time, and is arguably distracting as well. Grabbing the camera, flicking your wrist and snapping a pic is appealing to me.

I agree though, a lot of stuff is merely fluff. The S4 is a nice device despite TW, and really like the new Sense, but (mostly) stock Android is something that I'm familiar with and when it comes to long term enjoyment, I feel comfortable with what I already know. I think it's the same reason why a lot of the masses buy every iPhone or every Galaxy. What you know is what you're comfortable with.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Features are nice, but a solid, reliable and smooth UI is more important.

TouchWiz has a lot if features, but the interface is VERY clunky. Tons of animation stutter, it's horrendous.

The HTC One is by far the smoothest Android device I've ever used (except Nexus), I just wish HTC would spend more on advertising to compete with Samsung better and reclaim the Android crown.

I think the software on the Moto will be just fine, provided they stay away from the 'Power Saving Script' that plagued the RAZR MAXX HD...which essentially handicapped the processor....always choosing power savings over performance.

To me, user experience is paramount.

Things like a smooth interface, loud sound, front speakers, long battery life, great reception, durability, good camera, large or expandable memory, quality DAC, are all important.

The more of these foundational, functional boxes a manufacturer can check, the better.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
And to think, TouchWiz has come a long way. The HTC One is a really nice device. It's a shame it doesn't get as much love as it should.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Moto X uses an RGB AMOLED (link):
moto-x-display1-650x492.jpg

Motorola will probably (hopefully) be using the same tech on the DROID MAXX. I'd still prefer 1080 LCD, but this is very good news.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Moto X uses an RGB AMOLED (link):
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/moto-x-display1-650x492.jpg
Motorola will probably (hopefully) be using the same tech on the DROID MAXX. I'd still prefer 1080 LCD, but this is very good news.

I hope so. I would consider switching back to Motorola because as I've said before I want a smaller phone now. I just won't switch to an S4 and the non-RGB screens are terrible.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope so. I would consider switching back to Motorola because as I've said before I want a smaller phone now. I just won't switch to an S4 and the non-RGB screens are terrible.
I'm in the same boat, I had a Note 2 for a while and with its size, it's pushing the limits of PPI acceptability, even with RGB... The DROID MAXX should be better. It's still between the MAXX & ONE for me...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I had a Note 2 for a while and with its size, it's pushing the limits of PPI acceptability, even with RGB... The DROID MAXX should be better. It's still between the MAXX & ONE for me...

I would like to get an S4 but the battery issues concern me. I hear signal is weaker but in my area it wouldn't matter. The Note II is fine but I'm growing tired of such a big device in my hand. I would love to get an HTC One but I will never buy a phone again with a questionable battery. I'm also not one to carry extra batteries or in the non removable a portable charger. So honestly it really comes down to the Maxx or keep my Note II. My dad is eligible for an upgrade on August 17 so just in time and i get to use it. Don't fail me Moto.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II