Spec which is better Droid Ultra Maxx or HTC One?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't see trading a Razr HD for an Ultra. Smaller battery, marginal upgrade in speed, less PPI on a larger display.
I was pretty surprised to hear it wasn't 1080, I was certain it would have been.
The majority of people don't buy the high end phone. They should, because if you have to keep it for a couple of years, you want something that will not be outdated. I tell people to buy the baddest phone available, when you are ready to buy.
I know people that just get "whatever the free one is" and wonder why they hate it. I know someone who just got an iPhone 4 (not 4s) on Verizon for free. I mean, holy crap, not even LTE...why would you do that to yourself. Plus, cheap/old phones are unlikely to get updated so certain apps will start to not work. tisk tisk.

That being said, I'll be jumping ship from Motorola on the next round to an HTC One (most likely)
I feel the same way...right up until I'm looking at both devices in the store and see stronger signal on the DROID MAXX. :eek:

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Its not an eight core CPU. Its a dual core Snapdragon S4 pro with quadcore graphics. Basically saying its an eight core processor is an attempt at confusion so people don't realize what kind of CPU they're really using. I'm not saying it won't be smooth or fluid, but the eight core thing is strictly marketing speak.

I didn't see anyone call it 8 core in this thread. And the Ultra benchmarked higher than the One during Engadgets hands on

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

tpdtopcop

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see anyone call it 8 core in this thread. And the Ultra benchmarked higher than the One during Engadgets hands on

It only beat it in one category and the one spanked it in all the others. But some say that the benchmarking tool is not optimized for the new x8 technology tho.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It only beat it in one category and the one spanked it in all the others. But some say that the benchmarking tool is not optimized for the new x8 technology tho.
Hopefully the software is optimized well, unlike the RMHD. Benchmarks are one thing, but if they cram in that stupid 'Motorola Power Saving Script' that bungled up the RMHD, its going to be one heck of a stuttering nightmare as it deactivates all the "extra, unneeded" cores to save power.

Hopefully they've learned their 'optimizations' aren't helping user experience.

At the very least, offer a 'performance mode' that disables that crap.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the software is optimized well, unlike the RMHD. Benchmarks are one thing, but if they cram in that stupid 'Motorola Power Saving Script' that bungled up the RMHD, its going to be one heck of a stuttering nightmare as it deactivates all the "extra, unneeded" cores to save power.

Hopefully they've learned their 'optimizations' aren't helping user experience.

At the very least, offer a 'performance mode' that disables that crap.

Agreed.

I would like to see the screen before I purchase though. I'm over the high end specs already. I want something comfortable that looks decent. Priority #1 is a phone. The only other things I do is text, web surf and some Netflix/Hulu/YouTube. And what makes a phone? Great signal and a battery that's nearly impossible to kill in a day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone realize that there is more to screen quality than resolution? "1080p" is a gimmick. The screen on the S4 is better, but claiming it's all because it's "1080p" is silly. I can't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p on my 40" HDTV, but I'm suppose to be able to tell the difference on a friggin 5" phone? Come on people.

Shub_sayz

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm contemplating pre ordering droid ultra maxx and not going for S4. I 've had droid razr for past 20 months and just feel comfortable with Motorola droid brand.
Is 1080 p really that much different than 720p?

tpdtopcop

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone realize that there is more to screen quality than resolution? "1080p" is a gimmick. The screen on the S4 is better, but claiming it's all because it's "1080p" is silly. I can't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p on my 40" HDTV, but I'm suppose to be able to tell the difference on a friggin 5" phone? Come on people.

I am saying that the Droid Maxx (720x1280, 5" Super AMOLED) is not even going to be close as the HTC One's (1920 pixels, 4.7 inches (Super LCD3 capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.7 inches (~469 ppi pixel density)..

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am saying that the Droid Maxx (720x1280, 5" Super AMOLED) is not even going to be close as the HTC One's (1920 pixels, 4.7 inches (Super LCD3 capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.7 inches (~469 ppi pixel density)..
All I'm saying is:Tech's New Most Meaningless Spec: PPI

Does increased smartphone resolution help for watching high-def movies? Not really. To really reap the benefit of 1080p video, you need no smaller than a 40-inch display (and ideally one above 50-inches) to notice anything awesome while sitting at a comfortable distance. In fact, to theoretically reap any benefits of 1080p video on your phone, you'd need to be holding it 6-8 inches from your face. No one holds their phone 6-8 inches from their face.

Sure, you can get yourself some added digital real estate with a 1080p smartphone display, but you run the risk of making everything too small to easily view. In fact, the only tangible benefit of a 1080p is that a phone's chipset doesn't then have to waste horsepower scaling down the resolution of high-def content. That's a minor reward, though, one offset by all that pixel-pushing gobbling up hardware resources and battery life.
We're talking about meaningless specs instead off talking about how Samsung's display is probably going to have better contrast and a larger viewing angle. Pixel Density isn't the only thing that determines screen quality, not by a long shot.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
A good example is the gamma adjustments I've made to my GNex. A buddy of mine picked up my phone the other day and we compared it to his Nexus 4. He told me, "Man, it looks washed out compared to yours. Maybe I should give CM10 a try just so I can mess with my screen settings". But on paper, the N4 certainly has a "better" screen than the GNex. It's all in what you make it and all in what your priorities were. It's just like several years ago when I was comparing my SGS1 with another friend's Motorola Droid X. His screen was AWESOME for battery life and he liked it just fine. But when you put our phones side by side, it was like night and day.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Of the two I'd want the one wth the highest ppi. So, that'd be the One. However, I'd (and did) choose the S4 for its expandible storage, great performance, 32GB on-board, high ppi screen, replaceable/upgradeable battery....you get the idea.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
We're talking about meaningless specs instead off talking about how Samsung's display is probably going to have better contrast and a larger viewing angle. Pixel Density isn't the only thing that determines screen quality, not by a long shot.
But for sure it will have less display clarity. I'd much rather have a clear display than one with 'punchy colors':
screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

PenTile AMOLED technology is so terrible that I bet you $1000 I can could tell you the difference between the GS3 & GS4 & HTC One from 36".

But you are right. Resolution isn't everything. I'd take a 720 SLCD screen over a 1080 PenTile AMOLED any day of the week.

Subpixel uniformity matters.

tpdtopcop

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

But for sure it will have less display clarity. I'd much rather have a clear display than one with 'punchy colors':
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/130061-image/screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

PenTile AMOLED technology is so terrible that I bet you $1000 I can could tell you the difference between the GS3 & GS4 & HTC One from 36".

But you are right. Resolution isn't everything. I'd take a 720 SLCD screen over a 1080 PenTile AMOLED any day of the week.

I agree with you and guess I should have made myself clearer. If the screen on the maxx was
An SLCD at 720 It wouldn't have been a problem for me to choose then.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/reviews/130061-image/screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

You're a big fan of blown up images aren't you? :p

Like I said, NOTHING changes the fact that you really need a 50"+ TV to see the benefits of 1080p over 720p. At these screen sizes, resolution itself doesn't make a difference. 1080p is just a line on a spec sheet. It's like buying an S4 over all the lines on a spec sheet and then living with lag wondering where it came from. "1080p" is hype, period.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You're a big fan of blown up images aren't you? :p

Like I said, NOTHING changes the fact that you really need a 50"+ TV to see the benefits of 1080p over 720p. At these screen sizes, resolution itself doesn't make a difference. 1080p is just a line on a spec sheet. It's like buying an S4 over all the lines on a spec sheet and then living with lag wondering where it came from. "1080p" is hype, period.
Enlarged to show detail :p. Take a step back from your computer any tell me you can't see a clarity difference in the images.

I'd never buy an S4 because of lag, PenTile and poor signal.

But as I said in the quote you copied, I can easily see the difference between LCD/PenTile/720/1080.

It's not just a spec of you can 'clearly' see a difference. :)

Also, you sit 10-15 feet away from a 50" TV. A 32" 1080 TV is noticeably better than 720 at 10 feet. Why is a phone you hold at arms length not noticeable?

At 1080/720 on phones the display technology makes a bigger difference than the resolution. Which is why I dislike PenTile AMOLED and much prefer IPS/SLCD.

I still want a 1080 SLCD screen.

Last edited:

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Screen you honestly have to look at it personally. Because some high quality screens that are 720p still look damn good compared to 1080p. Plus Motorola dumped the pentile displays so that is a plus. From the videos it looked pretty good, I am gonna check it out if I can't live with the screen I am not going to buy it, but if I cant tell the difference and it is acceptable and not blurry I will be taking the phone home. Phone seems plenty fast from the videos, I have had a galaxy s4 and what good is a quad core 1.9ghz processor when the phone is randomly going to start stuttering on you out of no where and you have to restart it. So far the feel snappier than the galaxy s4, I don't use my phone for benchmarks, sorry. LOL

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
But as I said in the quote you copied, I can easily see the difference between LCD/PenTile.
There, I fixed your quote. My only point, again, is that talking about 720p vs 1080p is pointless, especially on phones. LCD vs Pentile is a different conversation. Luckily, the new Droid's aren't pentile and judging how they're going to look before holding one yourselves is kind of silly.

So let's recap. We've determined that if 1080P on your TV doesn't matter until you get to 50"+, then it doesn't matter on a phone. We've also determined that LCD/OLED/Basically anything is better than Pentile. Soooooo, the new Droid's are OLED and have an appropriate resolution for the screen size. Yeah, seems like it's gonna look pretty crappy to me. (There's that sarcasm thing again ;) )

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
There, I fixed your quote. My only point, again, is that talking about 720p vs 1080p is pointless, especially on phones. LCD vs Pentile is a different conversation. Luckily, the new Droid's aren't pentile and judging how they're going to look before holding one yourselves is kind of silly.

So let's recap. We've determined that if 1080P on your TV doesn't matter until you get to 50"+, then it doesn't matter on a phone. We've also determined that LCD/OLED/Basically anything is better than Pentile. Soooooo, the new Droid's are OLED and have an appropriate resolution for the screen size. Yeah, seems like it's gonna look pretty crappy to me. (There's that sarcasm thing again ;) )
You seemed to have skipped all the logic I used with distances and resolutions. To each their own.

It will not have uniform subpixels. It will not be as clear as SLCD/IPS of the same PPI. (I use that comparison picture to make this perfectly clear when I talk about resolution or display technologies).

I'd be willing to bet it has the same sub-pixel pattern as the GS4. Samsung said it wasn't PenTile....it was "Diamond Matrix".

They can call it whatever they like. It's still garbage.

Nothing is currently better than RGB Stripe....and 1080. :)

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You seemed to have skipped all the logic I used with distances and resolutions. To each their own.

It will not have uniform subpixels. It will not be as clear as SLCD/IPS of the same PPI. (I use that comparison picture to make this perfectly clear when I talk about resolution or display technologies).

I'd be willing to bet it has the same sub-pixel pattern as the GS4. Samsung said it wasn't PenTile....it was "Diamond Matrix".

They can call it whatever they like. It's still garbage.

Nothing is currently better than RGB Stripe....and 1080. :)

Agreed.

The display is the one thing you use on a the device at all times. Why would one want a sub par display?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech