Kevlar

- on the Maxx
Bootloader (not confirmed)
Not out yet
Less accessories than the S4

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Of those choices, I'd take the MAXX for sure. Samsung's radio issues are no joke. I'm torn between the HTC One+Mophie vs Droid MAXX.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Samsung. Touchwhiz is great. Moto needs to break out of their shell. No % on battery, enclosed storage and battery.

Now add samsung with 32gb internal + a 64gb SD. Wow

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
+ on the S4
Removable Battery
Expandable Storage
Better Screen

- on the S4
Touchwiz
Buttons
Bloatware
Radios

+ on the Maxx
32GB internal storage
Battery Life
Software
Radios
Kevlar

- on the Maxx
Bootloader (not confirmed)
Not out yet
Less accessories than the S4

You can get an s4 with 32 GB of internal too

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^Touchwiz is absolutely awful. Play with a S4 for 5 minutes and you can see what a stuttering nightmare it is. Yuck.

Who cares about a removable battery. It's so silly to carry around an extra battery...then go through the hassle of charging 2 batteries every night and fumbling around with de-casing the phone to put a new battery in every day...no thanks.

Agree on Micro SD though. But Google wants cloud storage...which is really stupid when a HD digital copy is 5GB+.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
^Touchwiz is absolutely awful. Play with a S4 for 5 minutes and you can see what a stuttering nightmare it is. Yuck.

Who cares about a removable battery. It's so silly to carry around an extra battery...then go through the hassle of charging 2 batteries every night and fumbling around with de-casing the phone to put a new battery in every day...no thanks.

Agree on Micro SD though. But Google wants cloud storage...which is really stupid when a HD digital copy is 5GB+.

I'd have to disagree. I prefer it to blur for features.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
From someone that has the 32GB S4 I can recommend it. The screen is really
nice...as is the expandable storage and swappable/upgradeable battery. It just seems like there's more to love for less $$ with
the S4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Of those choices, I'd take the MAXX for sure. Samsung's radio issues are no joke. I'm torn between the HTC One+Mophie vs Droid MAXX.
I second the notion about Samsung's radios. I've had an original SGS and an GNex. The radios/GPS on the SGS were horrible (especially the GPS). The GNex was a big improvement, but literally every other phone on Verizon seems to do a better job. Voice quality is also pretty crappy. I know most phones are pretty crappy, but through the years of cell phone usage, the only manufacturer I've seen that can hold a candle to RIM's radio's is Motorola. Motorola also always seems to have really, really awesome speaker phones.

I'm leaning towards the Maxx. I'm really happy with my GNex still, for the most part, but if I can't get another Nexus on Verizon then I'd rather have something as close to stock as possible. 4.2 + Touchwiz just makes for a laggy experience. I'm hoping that the new Droid's don't suffer from 4.2's bloat. As far as the bootloader thing goes, I'm hoping that there's a change in how Motorola does their locking. It's not likely, but it's worth hoping for. In the end, if I can get a polished version of CM on it, I'd probably be happy with it.

The big pluses for me on the Maxx are: Battery, 32GB Storage, Call Quality (hopefully), Stockish Android, All the voice stuff. 16GB's of storage is a total joke to me. I need the extra storage for all of my music, audio books, etc.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's radio's are typically weaker than, well, everyone's. Typically you can only tell in rural/fringe area's. It's a huge help (sarcasm) in the battery life department.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Samsung's radio's are typically weaker than, well, everyone's. Typically you can only tell in rural/fringe area's. It's a huge help (sarcasm) in the battery life department.

It's a good thing I have AT&T and live near Washington DC. The signal is always strong with me.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I second the notion about Samsung's radios. I've had an original SGS and an GNex. The radios/GPS on the SGS were horrible (especially the GPS). The GNex was a big improvement, but literally every other phone on Verizon seems to do a better job.
I had the Verizon GNEX 2 hours before my first dropped call.
Motorola also always seems to have really, really awesome speaker phones.
Agreed, Samsung really used to struggle with an echo problem on their speakerphones...
I'm leaning towards the Maxx. I'm really happy with my GNex still, for the most part, but if I can't get another Nexus on Verizon then I'd rather have something as close to stock as possible.
This is why I'm contemplating the HTC One, with a Google Edition ROM, its stock Android.
In the end, if I can get a polished version of CM on it, I'd probably be happy with it.
The S4 is way way way more likely to have a stable version of CM, its already in the works. The RAZR/RAZR HD has never had a stable completed version of CM because of kernel issues. I don't see that changing with the DMAXX.
The big pluses for me on the Maxx are: Battery, 32GB Storage, Call Quality (hopefully), Stockish Android, All the voice stuff. 16GB's of storage is a total joke to me. I need the extra storage for all of my music, audio books, etc.
How Google ever thought cloud storage was the answer is beyond me. With HD movies being 5GB+ a piece, music collections being huge and carriers charger per GB, cloud will never work.

I don't understand why phones haven't hit 100GB+

I've had no issues with my AT&T's radios. What should I be looking for?
If you don't have any issues with AT&T or Samsung, then you're like a unicorn..or Yoda. I'd stay put. I've had major issues with AT&T and Samsung (separately).
It's a good thing I have AT&T and live near Washington DC. The signal is always strong with me.0
2nf02.jpg

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Samsung. Touchwhiz is great. Moto needs to break out of their shell. No % on battery, enclosed storage and battery.

Now add samsung with 32gb internal + a 64gb SD. Wow

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd have to disagree. I prefer it to blur for features.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use Nova launcher so I don't really care about either of these. I do wish they would get the battery % up there so I don't have to get a separate app for it. Everyone else has it. The info is obviously in the phone. Just put it up there for us.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I cared a lot about the removeable battery when I was still on my GNex. The battery would never make it through a busy day. On vacation I'd always bring 1-2 extra batteries since I wasn't near a charger throughout the day like I am at work. I had chargers everywhere because I needed them everywhere. Because of those experiences I told myself I'd never get a phone without a removeable battery. Its one of the things that kept me away from an iphone. But now with my RMHD I have no need for a removable battery and that's what will get it to pretty much only consider the new Maxx.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just don't think I can ever go back to a phone with less than 320ppi and preferably not less than a 5" screen. I'm hoping the Note 3 bests both of these specs and keeps the removable battery. If so, sold my S4 will be.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

Nelson Guerrero

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the original Droid Razr Maxx (flashed to cm 10.1.2) and its been great to me but I got an updgrade in August... Im debating the Droid Maxx or the Galaxy S4....

Im really leaning towards the Galaxy S4. I have a 64gb sd card with about 50 gb of music. The Droid Maxx not having an micro sd slot is a super negative for me.

I think im going to end up getting the Galaxy S4. And the whole battery thing, they have a 7500 mah battery for the S4 which is basically double the Maxx battery. Thats the great thing about the S4. You have options to put whatever battery size you like and microSD card slot.

I have heard bad things about touch wiz though... but if your able to flash a rom then it should be okay right?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the original Droid Razr Maxx (flashed to cm 10.1.2) and its been great to me but I got an updgrade in August... Im debating the Droid Maxx or the Galaxy S4....

Im really leaning towards the Galaxy S4. I have a 64gb sd card with about 50 gb of music. The Droid Maxx not having an micro sd slot is a super negative for me.

I think im going to end up getting the Galaxy S4. And the whole battery thing, they have a 7500 mah battery for the S4 which is basically double the Maxx battery. Thats the great thing about the S4. You have options to put whatever battery size you like and microSD card slot.

I have heard bad things about touch wiz though... but if your able to flash a rom then it should be okay right?

And just how fat and heavy does that make the phone?