Droid Maxx unboxing

sandoff

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I just came from a DNA and I hold them next to each other and honestly I would never know the Maxx has a 720p screen. Its looks beautiful

Posted via Android Central App

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I would appreciate more detailed info on the radios (phone and data) when you get a chance. I passed on the S4 because the radios seemed mediocre, and I was burned by the Galaxy Nexus (on Verizon). I would like to know how the radios and antenna perform in fringe areas. Are they as good as the Razr Maxx?

Droid Maxx vs. Droid RAZR

Preliminary test shows the signal strength is better than my RAZR, and the RAZR was always good. Both phones are still active since I upgraded my limited line and will move the phone over tomorrow. Side by side the 4G signal strength is better on the Maxx by 1 to 2 dBm. Moved the phones to a couple of different locations and it is the same. Maxx is slightly better.

My worst results for both phones had them both come in at -113 initially, then the Maxx went up to -111 while the RAZR stayed at -113. My best results had the RAZR at -105 and the Maxx at -98. This represents a test in my house, which always seems to have a low signal even though I live in town.

This was not a scientific test by any means. It is just something to read and fell good about. I wouldn't consider this an adequate test by any means. Don't go quoting these results as gospel truth. It's what I saw in a 10 minute test I did for the heck of it. I've had the Maxx for almost 12 hours. The RAZR is about 20 months old. I'm assuming the phones were accurately measuring the signal strength. Each test had the phone on a table or a counter top. At the end of each test, I swapped the position of the phones and repeated that measurement with no change in the results any time.

From my limited use today, I am pleased with the performance of this phone as a phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sturdy. No question. I'm extremely impressed in that department, among many others.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

That's what everyone says. I'm taking mine back tomorrow because the back pops and there's a gap between my kevlar and screen. Can't deal with that.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

johnwashere

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Got my Maxx this morning at local VZW store. Sweet phone! It's on my wireless charger right now. Speaker in back is loud as hell. They didn't have the new Sol Deck speaker in-stock or I would have bought it too. My store also had the new Droid Mini in-stock and for sale for those interested in it.

How did you line up the phone on the charging pad? Also what charger did you get? I got one of the nokia wireless chargers on ATTs website (on sale for $24). I originally put the phone right in the middle of the charger and it got really hot. I then reset the phone, and moved the phone up a bit (away from the camera) and it seemed to work better.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Are you so sure about that? Doesn't the GNex use PenTile technology? There's a raging debate about what the Moto X/Maxx/Ultra are using with their screen technology, but it's not PenTile. I think it's likely that most people would see the Maxx screen as a step up from the GNex.

One other thing, I don't get the whole concern many have regarding soft versus hard keys. I don't see a huge deal either way.

I compared mine and the GNex is sharper with text. The Maxx is certainly brighter and has more saturated colors. Not a bad display but I wish they would have gone 1080p. It really helps on a 5 inch display.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I compared mine and the GNex is sharper with text. The Maxx is certainly brighter and has more saturated colors. Not a bad display but I wish they would have gone 1080p. It really helps on a 5 inch display.

Thanks for the comparison. I haven't bought the Maxx yet, but I did compare it in the store with my Rezound and the Rezound is sharper with text as well. The Rezound is significantly sharper than the GNex in that area as well. But it wasn't enough to bother me and we don't go around carrying two phones constantly comparing them.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
How's it been so far with bloatware? I've heard the X has less than the Maxx and I'd really love to avoid Verizon's dumb apps.

It's not bad, and you can disable them. They are there, but they won't bother you or take up resources by running in the background.

crosserb

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Ive really been enjoying my Maxx, just wish this camera was better. I use my camera a lot. Was sitting around a fire tonight and decided to take a pic. For some reason this camera does not like fires. It makes my whole screen purple. Really hoping we get a software update for the camera. Everyday photos aren't all that impressive either. Ugh. So close to being a perfect phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae