Does PDANet/FoxFi work?

NoLuckKn

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I wish you could email me how you did it. I just got my droid maxx about 2 weeks ago. I purchased the latest FoxFi 2.14.1 and the latest
FoxFi Key which ispdaNet+ 4.13.2 and when I try it it fails. Could you call me if I give you my email then my phone number?

mlh MAXX

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Same here. It seems like it is just using the phones stock hotspot. Is it and therefore using data, or is foxfi really in control and is not using data?

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Same here. It seems like it is just using the phones stock hotspot. Is it and therefore using data, or is foxfi really in control and is not using data?

Any hotspot wifi tether etc. uses data there is no way around that. Foxfi is just a work around for unlimited users since the stock hot spot is unlocked on limited plans.

mlh MAXX

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply. But now I am more confused. What utility, if any, does FoxFi provide to me on my MAXX that is not built-in? I am on a share everything plan.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Bu this will use data out of my share everything data plan, yes? As opposed to using the unlimited 4G?

If your plan allows for the use of the built in hotspot (I believe share everything plans generally do), then you're set - there's no need to use an app like FoxFi/PDANet. Some users have plans that do not include the hotspot feature, and these apps sometimes work as a work-around to allow tethering. No matter if it's the built in hotspot or an app for tethering, it's going to use your mobile data. It's just that some users (myself included) have managed to hold onto old unlimited data plans that Verizon no longer offers, so using mobile data isn't an issue. These unlimited plans do not include the hotspot feature, so they/we are always looking for workarounds to get the hotspot/tethering function.

mlh MAXX

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
YAY, thanks for the explanation. Makes prefect sense now. I had unlimited on my Droid X, but was forced to change when I upgraded recently.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's just that some users (myself included) have managed to hold onto old unlimited data plans that Verizon no longer offers, so using mobile data isn't an issue. These unlimited plans do not include the hotspot feature, so they/we are always looking for workarounds to get the hotspot/tethering function.
That's not entirely true. Unlimited plans can use the tethering function you just have to pay to enable it.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
That's not entirely true. Unlimited plans can use the tethering function you just have to pay to enable it.
True. However if you pay to enable the hotspot they provide you with a limited amount of data now. You still have your unlimited data for your phone, but are capped at about 2gigs to use for the hotspot. It's ridiculous. Everyone is pushing these great phones on their super fast networks, except you can't actually use it to do anything good because they are going to limit your data. I'm holding onto my unlimited and tethering for as long as I can

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I hear you Phyco, and if we all just used them as PHONES and not home networks, then no data capping or throttleing would probably work. But a lot of the people that I have talked to with unlimited data ditch their DSL or Cable service and run an entire household of information super highway off of one PHONE, the wife, the 4 kids and so on. I am not trying to argue for the cell companies I can just see the reasoning behind the madness.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't go that nuts with data. I use a few gigs a month. I just want to be able to stream a movie on my phone or get a connection for my laptop or tablet at work when I want to

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't go that nuts with data. I use a few gigs a month. I just want to be able to stream a movie on my phone or get a connection for my laptop or tablet at work when I want to

Posted via Android Central App

Yup, it's wonderful to just not have to think about it (much like not having to think about the battery on this phone). To just USE your device and not be having to manage X, Y, and Z is a very nice thing.

Tee Reed

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The developers asked me to test this out for the Droid Maxx to see if it works. It did, and I hope to see them release it in an update soon. For those who want to try it out early, here you go.

Install:
1. Uninstall PdaNet+ and FoxFi from your phone
2. Install the attached PdaNet+ apk file.
3. Bring up menu in PdaNet+, select "hash code", enter "MT" and Save.

Now turn on FoxFi and it will ask you to do a manual step. Do that and the wifi hotspot will be usable.

Note: The name and security key you have set in the FoxFi app no longer works. you will have to set it in your phone's actual hotspot settings.

This was successful on Android 4.2.2 with the new software update from Verizon the other day.