Great phone - buggy software

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So far I am loving my Maxx. But have found several bugs. I am sure they will get fixed. I have had the Touchless Controls activate about 10 times without me even speaking. It's always in a loud environment (restaurant last night and then again while watching TV with my surround system pretty loud). Also, the Assist feature kicked in at midnight last night to silence my phone but then the notification sounds for Hangouts and other apps didn't return this morning. A simple reboot seemed to fixed the problem. Have also noticed that using Motorola Connect through Chrome on my PC screws up notification sounds. Again... reboot fixes it. My new Withings Pulse also has issues communicating with the phone via Bluetooth. Anyone else notice issues?

UPDATE: Motorola just published an update to the Touchless Controls in the Google Play Store.

Last edited:

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Regarding touchless controls getting activated, try retraining the "ok google now" phrase again in a quite but not in a completely closed/small room, ghost triggers of touchless control should get really better with that.

So far I am loving my Maxx. But have found several bugs. I am sure they will get fixed. I have had the Touchless Controls activate about 10 times without me even speaking. It's always in a loud environment (restaurant last night and then again while watching TV with my surround system pretty loud). Also, the Assist feature kicked in at midnight last night to silence my phone but then the notification sounds for Hangouts and other apps didn't return this morning. A simple reboot seemed to fixed the problem. Have also noticed that using Motorola Connect through Chrome on my PC screws up notification sounds. Again... reboot fixes it. My new Withings Pulse also has issues communicating with the phone via Bluetooth. Anyone else notice issues?

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Regarding touchless controls getting activated, try retraining the "ok google now" phrase again in a quite but not in a completely closed/small room, ghost triggers of touchless control should get really better with that.

yeah I've trained it twice, both times in a quiet area... might try it again.

gamefreak715

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

Do you know if there's any way to turn off the touch less controls? I just don't like talking to my phone and don't think I'd use that feature. Especially not in public..

Posted via Android Central App

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if there's any way to turn off the touch less controls? I just don't like talking to my phone and don't think I'd use that feature. Especially not in public..

yes you can turn it off under Touchless Controls in settings

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

You must activate it before it works so you're fine. Its just like enabling Google Now. There is also a section dedicated to it in the Settings menu. (I believe as I was checking it last night)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

Public is the best place to use it. Everyone is amazed and impressed at what I can do with my phone. They bow down and worship me. They. . . Yeah, public is not somewhere I'll be using touches controls. I haven't had any issues with it auto activating though.

My main location for using it will be my car. I hope they increase the available commands. It would be nice to have the ability to launch any app with it. Too bad it's not feasible to make the app respond as well.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Settings>Touchless Control

Just uncheck the first checkbox for touchless control. There is also a setting to have it work only when the display is unlocked, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it IMHO.

Nec3f

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
This thread seems like a good place to mention this. I just tried using the HDR button on the phone and it crashed. I switched over to HDR, the picture froze for about a minute, unfroze, took a picture then rebooted. I went to the camera app to take a look and it wasn't there. I took another picture with HDR, turned it off and everything's been fine. But a crash in the first 24 hours isn't very promising.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
This thread seems like a good place to mention this. I just tried using the HDR button on the phone and it crashed. I switched over to HDR, the picture froze for about a minute, unfroze, took a picture then rebooted. I went to the camera app to take a look and it wasn't there. I took another picture with HDR, turned it off and everything's been fine. But a crash in the first 24 hours isn't very promising.

I just took several with no issue.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious if the phone is laggy/stuttery at all. The RAZR HD was plagued with lag (due to the Moto Power Saving Script) when other devices with similar hardware were much smoother. The GS4 has a healthy amount of animation stutter too. The smoothest devices I've used have been Nexus devices...and the HTC One...

Since there is a Power Saver switch, I wonder if this thing is buttery smooth with it off...

crosserb

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious if the phone is laggy/stuttery at all. The RAZR HD was plagued with lag (due to the Moto Power Saving Script) when other devices with similar hardware were much smoother. The GS4 has a healthy amount of animation stutter too. The smoothest devices I've used have been Nexus devices...and the HTC One...

Since there is a Power Saver switch, I wonder if this thing is buttery smooth with it off...

I have not experienced any stuttering at all, unlike my S4. Im really sensitive on that kind of stuff. So far, its been butter!

jameskk1

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed a Touchless Control app update in the Play Store... downloaded and installed it. The publisher was Motorola Mobility

Allan k1

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Im new to the android world. I have actually only had my HTC one for 2 days now. I am not a causal user. I am a power user. I also have a jailbroken iPhone 5. I have been able to find most (with a few I greatly miss), tweaks in the play store. I mainly was switching for a larger screen size. I have been playing with it for the past 2 days, and I have found that the quality of the apps and the android OS is somewhat poor. Granted, many are cheap or free, but my phone is much more buggy than my jailbroken iPhone 5. I was also switching hoping to reduce an occasional bug on my iPhone (may be once every two days). I am now deeply disappointed by the increase in bugs. The HTC one is great except for the following reasons: it has a dead pixel, when its CPU clocks up it really burns through a ton of battery (unlike my iPhone) - I notice little to no difference in speed. Additionally, I hear static coming through the speakers when the notifications come in sometimes and the music is playing.

I am against samsung as a company, most people have no clue of their business tactics. I don't want to get into it, but nevertheless I don't like the cheap plastic of the S4 anyway.

What bothers me is how buggy the software is to get it to run like my iPhone (e.g., firewall, antivirus, battery controls, presets based on time, DND, etc, etc...) This phone becomes a buggier-mess. Stock android is so bland, I can't get by on it, just like vanilla iOS. Even still, the keyboard is subpar and touch sensitivities and etc are not ideal. It really needs work on the touch responses.

I really love the design of the phone, but I feel the OS ruined it. I think HTC made a phone that is even more beautiful than my iPhone 5.
I considered rooting, but that voids my warranties so (H-no).
Does anyone who has been on the other side share my issues with it? You really have to have been there to understand what I mean. What do you recommend?

BTW- as an example, I just picked up my phone and I have a call. For some reason it answered it when I bumped the edge of the screen. Im on ATT and waiting on the latest update. I still have 12 days to return it.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Im new to the android world. I have actually only had my HTC one for 2 days now. I am not a causal user. I am a power user. I also have a jailbroken iPhone 5. I have been able to find most (with a few I greatly miss), tweaks in the play store. I mainly was switching for a larger screen size. I have been playing with it for the past 2 days, and I have found that the quality of the apps and the android OS is somewhat poor. Granted, many are cheap or free, but my phone is much more buggy than my jailbroken iPhone 5. I was also switching hoping to reduce an occasional bug on my iPhone (may be once every two days). I am now deeply disappointed by the increase in bugs. The HTC one is great except for the following reasons: it has a dead pixel, when its CPU clocks up it really burns through a ton of battery (unlike my iPhone) - I notice little to no difference in speed. Additionally, I hear static coming through the speakers when the notifications come in sometimes and the music is playing.

I am against samsung as a company, most people have no clue of their business tactics. I don't want to get into it, but nevertheless I don't like the cheap plastic of the S4 anyway.

What bothers me is how buggy the software is to get it to run like my iPhone (e.g., firewall, antivirus, battery controls, presets based on time, DND, etc, etc...) This phone becomes a buggier-mess. Stock android is so bland, I can't get by on it, just like vanilla iOS. Even still, the keyboard is subpar and touch sensitivities and etc are not ideal. It really needs work on the touch responses.

I really love the design of the phone, but I feel the OS ruined it. I think HTC made a phone that is even more beautiful than my iPhone 5.
I considered rooting, but that voids my warranties so (H-no).
Does anyone who has been on the other side share my issues with it? You really have to have been there to understand what I mean. What do you recommend?

BTW- as an example, I just picked up my phone and I have a call. For some reason it answered it when I bumped the edge of the screen. Im on ATT and waiting on the latest update. I still have 12 days to return it.

Do you realize this is a Droid Maxx forum??? This is not the place to discuss for find answers for issues with your HTC One. Go here for those discussions. You will also find most of the people here are Verizon, b/c the Maxx is exclusive to them.

Also, to answer your question, it sounds to me like you just don't care for the OS, just go back to using an iPhone.

Allan k1

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Oh sorry, I just googled HTC One Buggy fixes. I was trying to see if it is a general issue or specific. I clicked on the link, and I see many issues. Well, I can't wait until a company can get together to make a beautiful metal phone and great software. In the words of my dad after using my One: "I guess technology just isn't there yet." Gr...