Could not tell the difference. What am I missing?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been holding off on making a decision untill I could see them in person. The only thing I am worried about is the screen resolution on this phone verses the S4. I went in today to compare the two to see if I could tolerate the lower resolution but I could not really tell the difference. I dont know if maybe I am looking at the wrong kind of pictures and videos or what, but I could use some help on how I can see the difference. I tried watching an HI DEF trailer on youtube to test it, but I really could not tell. Is there an online site or video I should look at on each phone to show me the pixilation people talk about so I can know what I would have to tolerate.

Thanks.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
An engineer from Motorola stated that a big part of why they didn't bother with a 1080p display on the new Moto phones is that most people can't actually distinguish the difference beyond something like 300ppi, so the quality of the display is more important at that point than the resolution. That is probably why you can't tell the difference - they're both excellent displays!

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues with the screen at all, it looks awesome. Definitely not a reason to not buy the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have been holding off on making a decision untill I could see them in person. The only thing I am worried about is the screen resolution on this phone verses the S4. I went in today to compare the two to see if I could tolerate the lower resolution but I could not really tell the difference. I dont know if maybe I am looking at the wrong kind of pictures and videos or what, but I could use some help on how I can see the difference. I tried watching an HI DEF trailer on youtube to test it, but I really could not tell. Is there an online site or video I should look at on each phone to show me the pixilation people talk about so I can know what I would have to tolerate.

Thanks.

Why are you trying so hard to find an issue with the screen? Good screen is good, and leave it at that.

This is actually good news!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why are you trying so hard to find an issue with the screen? Good screen is good, and leave it at that.

This is actually good news!

I don't think he was looking for an issue with the screen, I think he was confused by all the thread making a fuss over the 'mid-range specs' and the 720 screen being an issue.

This is a great place for confused people to come and get an explanation from people that know enough to help.

And I agree, it is great news that people cannot see the difference. Now I just have to patiently await my pre-order to arrive.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess it is because after all of the blogging and posts everywhere complaining about the lack of 1080P I went in expecting to have to evaluate a massive lacking and decide if I could tolerate it for a phone that in all other ways is better for me. I went in expecting disapointment, and when I did not find it, I wanted to make sure I had not done something wrong or missed something.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he was looking for an issue with the screen, I think he was confused by all the thread making a fuss over the 'mid-range specs' and the 720 screen being an issue.

This is a great place for confused people to come and get an explanation from people that know enough to help.

^this

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I guess it is because after all of the blogging and posts everywhere complaining about the lack of 1080P I went in expecting to have to evaluate a massive lacking and decide if I could tolerate it for a phone that in all other ways is better for me. I went in expecting disapointment, and when I did not find it, I wanted to make sure I had not done something wrong or missed something.

Sorry -- mjhubbard, I thought you were one of those "spec-whores" who wanted to find an issue with the 720p screen when there is no real issue with it at all.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
And I wondered if we were giving up anything to those beautiful Samsung screens I've seen. Glad to hear we aren't.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot to be said about the subpixel arrangement...they are the building blocks of the phone's display. The Droid MAXX's subpixel arrangement is superior to the S4's. Subpixel arrangement's show up pretty easily on text. Personally, I'd rather have a Droid MAXX screen than the S4 screen. But compare a Droid MAXX to the DNA or the HTC One...then you'll see a difference.

I'm just wondering if the new Moto phones have screen blotches...like all the other AMOLED screens... :(

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I made both threads at the same time, since I was affraid people may only be checking one or the other. With both phones so close, it seems silly to have separate forums for both.

The one thing left that is a hang up is root. I would like to stay rooted. Going to see what shakes out the next few days but in the end, I dont know that no root whill be enough to keep me from buying.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
See, posts like this confuse us.

Motorola Droid Ultra: First look video and pictures | Android Central

Phill says that he can tell the difference between even the MOTO X and the Droid Ultra, which have only a 20 PPI difference. If he claims to be able to tell the difference between those, how can you not expect to see the difference between S4 and Ultra. His statement is misleading or wrong.

I would say if you can't see the difference why worry? Who cares what others think. Only thing that matters is your opinion of the screen and whether you think its nice or not. I happen to think its a fine damn nice looking screen to my eyes.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463