Maxx music playback (upgraded from a Rezound)

Ninjak#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
So far I'm loving this phone. After my Droid 2 I thought I'd give HTC a shot and, while I enjoyed the Rezound, this Maxx is even better... except for the two features I'll use most. I was on my Google Play Music this morning and, wow, did it sound awful out of the box (using the Rezound's beats audio earbuds). Sound was loud and bassy, which is good, but wasn't crisp. Came out muddy. I'm hoping that this is simply a case of it just needing to be equalized, which was likely automatically done via beats audio on the Rezound and I suspect the HTC One. I'll do some more looking into it. The one thing that irks me (though not a dealbreaker) is that I'd become very accustomed to using the reverse/FF buttons on the beats earbuds to go to the previous/next track on the Rezound. Those two buttons do nothing when used with the Maxx, in Google Music although I can still pause/play. Has anyone tested this with the same or other similar earbuds? And, speaking of music, I can't find anywhere indicating how to redeem our six months of free Google Play Music All Access. I was already a paid subscriber and I'm still listed as having a billing date next month, so am wondering how to get Google to activate the promotion on my account. All-in-all, though, this is a great phone. Now I just need a dock for it. I might even need a case. That rubbery kevlar backing feels sort of greasy to me and could still slip out of my hands if I'm not careful with it.

And I have NEVER seen my Rezound download so fast over my 5GHz wifi connection compared to this Maxx. I download a 10Mb+ file in a second, as it should be, not several seconds to a minute on the 3-4 Rezounds I had. They acted as if they were trying to download over 3G or 1x instead of wifi and i never could determine why. Another reason I find myself wary of the HTC One, aside from the horrid battery life I had on the Rezound even with the extended battery.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The dmaxx has a built in equalizer. i happened upon it by accident. it is hidden in the settings menu under "sound." i can say it sounded great in my car over bluetooth audio. also, my car's stereo was able to change the volume and display song and artist info from pandora, which it was not able to do over bluetooth on my gnex.

Ninjak#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the assist. :) I found the equalizer, which helped a little bit. I think I may still may install another since theirs is so limited. Now if only I can get my nav buttons working again and get my 6 months of All Access turned on, all will be right in the world. This is definitely a two-handed phone for me, though (despite my large hands), until I can get a slim case that covers the slippery back. I've almost dropped the Maxx a few times already.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for the 6 months free pass from Google as well. I'm already a subscriber BTW...

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Ninjak#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking for the 6 months free pass from Google as well. I'm already a subscriber BTW...

Same boat I'm in. People who never had All Access before are having no problems, but I never saw any literature indicating this offer was solely for new subscribers. Hopefully an easy answer will emerge since this is a $48-60 savings.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Definitely disable the equalizer and the surround sound. You'll get much better results and it will be louder as well.

Also note there's a Motorola nanny that does not allow the volume to go all the way to max the first time you do it. It will give you a little thing to confirm that maximum volume will make you deaf if you keep listening to music too loud. Once you dismiss it you'll get a lot more volume.

The top volume on the MAXX is not anywhere near the top volume on the SGS3.

JRLiger

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Same boat I'm in. People who never had All Access before are having no problems, but I never saw any literature indicating this offer was solely for new subscribers. Hopefully an easy answer will emerge since this is a $48-60 savings.

I'm also coming from a Rezound, which I lived until the battery started to go kablooy. I'm happy with the sound and love the battery life. Hopefully the All Access issue gets sorted.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a rezound and looking to potentially upgrade. My choices have been between the One or the Maxx (also considering the 928). But the battery is not great on the rezound as plenty know. I do like some aspects of Sense, but at times, it can be a nuisance. How are you guys liking the change from the Rezound?

Ninjak#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I currently have a rezound and looking to potentially upgrade. My choices have been between the One or the Maxx (also considering the 928). But the battery is not great on the rezound as plenty know. I do like some aspects of Sense, but at times, it can be a nuisance. How are you guys liking the change from the Rezound?

Much as I like my Maxx, I would likely have gone with the HTC One had it the same kind of battery life. You get a lot for $100 less. If you're already used to the Rezound, Sense 5.0 on the One is much better. I was playing around with the Verizon one in a store 30 min ago. My friend has had it on T-Mobile for months and loves it, but since I have long commutes to and from my job, I need a phone that can keep up with a power user like myself. I do miss the beats audio (sound on the Rezound is superior), and the One has already been successfully rooted. I'm hoping a good desktop/multimedia dock comes out for the Maxx since that's another feature I miss. I still have most of two weeks left to decide if I want to switch phones, but preliminary searches are saying that the One's battery life, while better than former HTC phones, is still not the best.

Anyhow, let me get back on topic a tad for this thread. Soundwise, I don't think the Maxx can best the One, but once equalized, it aint bad. I still want to change tracks with my earbud controls, though, which I'm sure the One supports.

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Definitely disable the equalizer and the surround sound. You'll get much better results and it will be louder as well.

Also note there's a Motorola nanny that does not allow the volume to go all the way to max the first time you do it. It will give you a little thing to confirm that maximum volume will make you deaf if you keep listening to music too loud. Once you dismiss it you'll get a lot more volume.

The top volume on the MAXX is not anywhere near the top volume on the SGS3.
I would still say the SGSIII is one of the best sonding phones ever,even but the Rezound to a pitiful shame.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
The dmaxx has a built in equalizer. i happened upon it by accident. it is hidden in the settings menu under "sound." i can say it sounded great in my car over bluetooth audio. also, my car's stereo was able to change the volume and display song and artist info from pandora, which it was not able to do over bluetooth on my gnex.

I was so excited when I saw that mine did this. I sped up by 30 mph going YEEEEEEEESSSSS!!