Is there really a need to upgrade?

Rider646

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm upgrading from Blackberry to the Droid Ultra. The new phone should be on my doorstep when I get home from work. I'm very excited to get the phone but no matter how all good the reviews are about the phone, the general consensus is the Maxx is a better phone by leaps and bounds. The only differences that I know of are the bigger battery and an extra 16gb of storage. I've even read complaints (more like people dissing) about the glossy back and how it's a fingerprint magnet. I really don't listen to music or store videos on my phone so the 16gb of storage on the Ultra seems like enough. Now I read that after the OS and other stuff, the usable storage is 10.5gb. Keeping that in mind and the fact that I'll have the Ultra for 2 years and with the few games/apps I'll download, pictures I'll keep on the phone, and various firmware/OS updates, should I just go ahead and try to upgrade to the Maxx? I realize I may have just answered my own question but I'd just like to hear what the experienced droid users have to say. Thanks.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I would say the Maxx is the better choice. The battery life is a big deal, especially if you had solid battery on the BB (i.e. not worrying about running low). You may not need the extra 16GB, but it will help, as you said, with the longevity of the phone. I guess I'm in the camp that does not think the Ultra really needs to exist, though I do understand that some people may not want to dish out $300 for the Maxx.

I suggest using both devices in the store and see how the Ultra feels vs. the Maxx. If you don't feel like you would benefit from the extra features of the Maxx, it just comes down to the feel of the device in your hand. Also keep in mind that the Moto X will be out this month, and you may like that device even more than the Ultra/Maxx when it comes to in-hand feel.

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's a better phone by leaps and bounds, per se, but the Maxx differentiates itself in a few ways that are very important to a portion of the buying public. Battery life is hella-important to me, so a phone that is competent to very good in all other areas and fantastic on battery life is very appealing in my purchase choice.

In a similar vein, my S3 has killed three micro sd cards over the past year, souring my trust in using expandable storage. So, I value large internal storage right now.

Put those two things together and the Maxx was a standout winner for me while the Ultra wasn't even a consideration, despite the fact they share so many similarities.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much agree with the above. If you really don't want to spend more then $199 some third party outlets will be selling the maxx for $199 once they get stock. The battery and memory are huge to me, and I also feel the maxx is put together with better materials. For a device I have to keep for the next two years, I don't think I will have any regrets with the maxx.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with those that have responded. These new phones have such great capabilities, but I found myself worrying about battery life. Because I wanted to save my phone for end of day in case I needed it, I monitored my use or turned off features. What is the point of having cool features on your phone if you have to turn them off? The battery life is why I went for the Maxx, and after my first day with it, I feel strongly that it was a great decision.

Right now I am at 19+ hours on battery and nearly 5 hours of on screen time. I still have 30% battery left, down from 80% when I pulled if off the charger for the first charge. I have done a little of everything with the phone, including a lot downloading. I have not had this type of battery life since my BlackBerry Curve, years and years ago. It is refreshing to not have to worry about it at all.

TL;DR -- If you even think you want a better battery, get the Maxx. The Ultra's will have good life, but the Maxx is rated to last nearly twice as long.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
There's really no reason to upgrade. I've had the Ultra since day 1 and haven't regretted it for a single second. I've heard its a fingerprint magnet but since I spend absolutely zero time looking at the back of my phone I really don't know. I've heard its slippery but i find it very comfortable to hold. When I looked at both the UItra and the Maxx, the Ultra felt better to me. I charge the phone every night when I go to bed and that's the only time I need to charge it. Its been at least 25% at the end of the day all but 1 day, and that day I was doing everything I could to drain the battery because I wanted to see how long it could last and it lasted all day with 9% left. If you need more starage, cloud storage is always an option, many sites give you free storage. I love my Ultra, and to be honest, I don't understand why the Maxx even exists other than for people who want to brag about having more stuffs on their phone.

iamsupreme

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
tdizzel, that's one of the most ludicrous things I've read on here. You feel there's no reason for the Maxx to exist. Right, because a phone that feels infinitely more quality in build with the Kevlar back, larger display, double the storage and a much larger amount of battery life are pointless. Sounds like you're potentially upset for making the choice of the lesser phone?

Derek Noggle

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
tdizzel, that's one of the most ludicrous things I've read on here. You feel there's no reason for the Maxx to exist. Right, because a phone that feels infinitely more quality in build with the Kevlar back, larger display, double the storage and a much larger amount of battery life are pointless. Sounds like you're potentially upset for making the choice of the lesser phone?

The Maxx doesn't have a larger display FYI.

iamsupreme

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Derek. So everything I said, minus the larger display :)

I remember holding the Ultra at the Verizon store and then holding the Maxx. Massive difference. The back of the Ultra made the Samsung Galaxy line of phones (that get a lot of flack for their non-premium plastic build) feel premium.

Rider646

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna stick with the Ultra. If I ever need more storage space, I'll take advantage of the cloud. A huge battery life isn't much of a big deal to me. 28 hours is plenty and I'm never far away from a charger if I need one.

Derek Noggle

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Derek. So everything I said, minus the larger display :)

I remember holding the Ultra at the Verizon store and then holding the Maxx. Massive difference. The back of the Ultra made the Samsung Galaxy line of phones (that get a lot of flack for their non-premium plastic build) feel premium.

I'm with you. I love the Maxx. Couldn't imagine having the Ultra. Especially over $100.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Like I said in my post, to me the Ultra feels better than the Maxx(and both are made of Kevlar btw). And like I said and gave an explanation for in my post I don't need more battery or storage. And like I also said in my post, I love my Ultra. Saying the Ultra is a lesser phone is like saying cinnamon is a lesser babka. And if I was upset about the purchase, I'm still within my return window so I could easily undo the purchase but I have no intentions of doing that.
I wasn't aware that the Maxx's 5" display was larger than the Ultra's 5" display. What magic enabled that to happen? Or is it Timelord science?
The OP asked for opinions if it was worth upgrading, and as someone who handled both the Maxx and Ultra and had to make a decision on which one to get, and as someone who has used the phone that the OP selected for a week, I feel my opinion is relevant. If you disagree that's fine, but its still my opinion that the Maxx doesn't need to exist.

iamsupreme

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in my post, to me the Ultra feels better than the Maxx(and both are made of Kevlar btw). And like I said and gave an explanation for in my post I don't need more battery or storage. And like I also said in my post, I love my Ultra. Saying the Ultra is a lesser phone is like saying cinnamon is a lesser babka. And if I was upset about the purchase, I'm still within my return window so I could easily undo the purchase but I have no intentions of doing that.
I wasn't aware that the Maxx's 5" display was larger than the Ultra's 5" display. What magic enabled that to happen? Or is it Timelord science?
The OP asked for opinions if it was worth upgrading, and as someone who handled both the Maxx and Ultra and had to make a decision on which one to get, and as someone who has used the phone that the OP selected for a week, I feel my opinion is relevant. If you disagree that's fine, but its still my opinion that the Maxx doesn't need to exist.

Fair enough, though I'm in the opposite camp and feel there is entirely no need for the inferior Ultra to exist. That seems to be the consensus everywhere else as well. The vocal minority need to share their opinions as well if they go against conventional wisdom and I understand where you're coming from. Kudos. Not everyone is a power user that needs all the battery the Maxx provides.

The Maxx's 5" display is apparently the same size as the Ultra's 5" display. Who would have thought that 5" was the same as 5"?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
..., but its still my opinion that the Maxx doesn't need to exist.

tdizzle, I am right with you up to this point. The reason people think the Ultra does not need to exist, is because the X is so close to it. The screen size difference is neglible, and the form factor is different. Otherwise the two phones are close. Functionally the two phones could be swapped out for each other. I don't necessarily agree with others that the Ultra should not exist, but only because I think it is important for the brand to have the full range.

The MAXX is clearly differentiated from the rest -- particularly a much bigger battery and double the storage. It exists for users that need more battery or more storage.

So, while you have no use for the MAXX, it exists for others, therefore it has a clear(er) reason to exist.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
To me, more ultra users are just as good as more maxx users. They run the same software so it only helps our chances of getting root.

Personally, I went with the maxx. But I can see others wanting to save some cash if they don't need the extra battery or storage.

It's weird how personal it gets but everyone has different opinions, likes, wants, and needs.

Love the maxx so far

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
There's really no reason to upgrade. I've had the Ultra since day 1 and haven't regretted it for a single second. I've heard its a fingerprint magnet but since I spend absolutely zero time looking at the back of my phone I really don't know. I've heard its slippery but i find it very comfortable to hold. When I looked at both the UItra and the Maxx, the Ultra felt better to me. I charge the phone every night when I go to bed and that's the only time I need to charge it. Its been at least 25% at the end of the day all but 1 day, and that day I was doing everything I could to drain the battery because I wanted to see how long it could last and it lasted all day with 9% left. If you need more starage, cloud storage is always an option, many sites give you free storage. I love my Ultra, and to be honest, I don't understand why the Maxx even exists other than for people who want to brag about having more stuffs on their phone.
Dude, you've spent zero time looking at the back of your phone thus you have no idea that its a greasy, fingerprint magnet? Never looked at the back of your device? Who do you expect to take anything else you say seriously? You would have been better off admitting that the back of your device is a fingerprint magnet. You know that because we all know you've looked at it. Daily.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you've spent zero time looking at the back of your phone thus you have no idea that its a greasy, fingerprint magnet? Never looked at the back of your device? Who do you expect to take anything else you say seriously? You would have been better off admitting that the back of your device is a fingerprint magnet. You know that because we all know you've looked at it. Daily.

Can you give me 1 good reason to look at the back of my phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze