Earpiece speaker volume low?

Bull27

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes I understand that. May be a game changer unfortunately, I don't really want HTC one but I need to talk on a phone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have no problems with mine

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

At what volume level can you comfortably hear? Anything below max level on mine is pretty low volume...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
this may be a shot in the dark, but when you notice the volume problems, are you guys by any chance on headphones or bluetooth? just finding out that there's some volume reducing feature in android 4.2 to protect hearing. here's the thread, the info is on the last page towards the bottom http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/229041-how-do-i-disable-unsafe-volume-warning.html

Thanks for the info. I have not personally tried using headphones. The low volume I've experienced has been purely at the earpiece. I will give headphones a shot.

Oh and fwiw, speaker phone is nice and loud, but some conversations aren't for public consumption lol

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I have not personally tried using headphones. The low volume I've experienced has been purely at the earpiece. I will give headphones a shot.

Oh and fwiw, speaker phone is nice and loud, but some conversations aren't for public consumption lol

I've used headphones and its very low. Bluetooth in my car seems to be normal though. For reference making a call over Skype is loud on both headphones and earpiece. The issue is within the software for the Phone feature itself.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Regarding this issue being hardware or software...on my old thunderbolt, I used to run custom roms with various kernels. Some kernels provided higher earpiece volumes than others. There is a kernel option that can be configured at compile time that specifies basically the"boost" level. Some devs bumped that up to fix the low volume issue. Maybe if this gets enough attention, motorola can do the same and issue a fix.

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I was going to chime in and say I think the volume is excellent. I've got a bit of hearing loss and I had a very hard time hearing conversations on my S3. Every conversation I've had on my maxx has been great, clear and easy to hear.

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I was going to chime in and say I think the volume is excellent. I've got a bit of hearing loss and I had a very hard time hearing conversations on my S3. Every conversation I've had on my maxx has been great, clear and easy to hear.

Hmmmm...that points it more to possibly hardware then. Ugh!

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed the highest setting is fine, but in the event I was somewhere loud it would not cut it.

Posted via Android Central App

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed the highest setting is fine, but in the event I was somewhere loud it would not cut it.

Posted via Android Central App
My experience in general. The volume is decent on most calls and a bit lower on a few. I find myself checking the volume level during some calls. The volume could afford to be a bit louder, or like Samsung has implemented, a method to boost volume in call.

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I just did some test calls and found that the root of my volume issue was how I was holding it up to my ear. I moved the phone higher against my ear and the volume is much better! I have it jacked up to full blast and it sounds loud now. Just a bit of a holding adjustment compared to how I held previous phones. It seems good now though!

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been using mine since launch and have had no earpiece issues. In fact, at top volume it is quite loud. The sweetspot of the earpiece is kind of small though, so you may have to adjust how you are holding it.

viper81

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been using mine since launch and have had no earpiece issues. In fact, at top volume it is quite loud. The sweetspot of the earpiece is kind of small though, so you may have to adjust how you are holding it.

The sweetspot definitely seems smaller, good point. Once you find it though, you are golden.

Bull27

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
For me.... It still sucks. Doesn't matter where the earpiece is or how it is against the ear, still way too low. Unacceptable

tedred1339

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the Droid Mini, and my brother has the Maxx. Great phones, other than you cant HEAR someone on the other line on a normal call. Bluetooth calls are perfect. Phone is great in every way but I need to be able to hear someone speaking to me on a normal call. This is likely a problem on the Droid Mini, Maxx and Ultra.

Very very disappointing, hopefully a software fix will come soon if no one is aware at Motorola/Google yet.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I have absolutely no problems with the earpiece. Don't know how some are having problems.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid Mini, and my brother has the Maxx. Great phones, other than you cant HEAR someone on the other line on a normal call. Bluetooth calls are perfect. Phone is great in every way but I need to be able to hear someone speaking to me on a normal call. This is likely a problem on the Droid Mini, Maxx and Ultra.

Very very disappointing, hopefully a software fix will come soon if no one is aware at Motorola/Google yet.
Tested the Maxx in store and the volume was fine. Bought 2 Maxxes for my house and the volume is fine. I can hear the caller. But the volume does seem to be slightly lower than what I'm used to in comparable handsets. But far from a deal breaker.
I'd advise you to return that Mini and Maxx for an exchange and be sure to make a couple test calls before leaving the store.

sox08

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I also have this issue and does anyone else notice when using their phone as a music player for their car and its plugged in that the volume is crazy low and if I flip back to radio I go def. What gives? I have media and phone vol all the way up. Are these things all related?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon