Details from a Galaxy Nexus user that upgraded to the Maxx

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this post assists some in making a decision for or against this phone.

Background:
I am in my thirties and have been using a rooted/ROM'd Galaxy Nexus user for the past 2 year. I loved the ability to flash a ROM just to make the phone faster and running the most recent Android releases. However, the phone has become too slow and the signal problems are getting on my nerves, so I started looking for a replacement. I do not stream Youtube videos or listen to music on my phone with any regularity. I use it to check 1 exchange account, 2 Gmail accounts, and sync my exchange calendar. I read RSS feeds in gReader, play the occasional time wasting game while passing time and use SMS and Whats App for communication. Very lite Facebook usage for posting photos of my family and such.

Options:
Being a former Blackberry user I was intrigued by the Z10, but the instability in the company ruled it out. That left the Moto-X and the HTC One. Even though I am around a charger all day, I decided that battery life was essential to me on the occasion that I am traveling or out all day. The One looks great but the battery life I have been reading about left something to be desired. Plus, I would put a case on it because I wouldn?t want to scratch the metal casing which eliminates the good looks of the device. The Moto-X looks like it will be a great device with a lot of potential developer backing, but what does it do that the Maxx does not do? Plus, it looks exactly like my GNex (the black front version). That is not a bad thing, but a little change does wonders.

The Decision:
I picked up the MAXX 3 days ago. I kept my unlimited data by adding a line and putting a dumb phone on it.
So far, I am happy with the decision. Some of the benefits that excite me over the GNEX:
1. Battery is ridiculous
2. Larger screen
3. Wireless charging
4. Active Notifications
5. My car can read emails and SMS now

I can?t see any benefit of waiting for a quad core, 1080P, fingerprint scanning phone at this point. Maybe in a year or 2, but not now. The Maxx seems like a full featured device that is built sturdy and will last. I was concerned about bloat due to my GNex being bloat free but it is not a problem. All of it is easily disabled and some bloat is useful. Motorola Assist is pretty cool, although I am not sure it is considered bloat. Maybe just the Verizon apps are bloat, but it is not too bad.

First Full Battery Charge:
I charged up the phone and took it off the charger 2 days ago in the AM. I decided to charge it again this AM. I used it more than normal because it is a new toy and was on WIFI most of the time, but this is exactly what I expect from my device. Screen time of 5 hours for a GNex user is amazing. I was lucky to get 2 hours with an extended battery. I got almost 48 hours and could have gotten more, but I wanted to get it charged for today's usage. See the photos for proof.

Anyhow, I hope my details help those out there who are on the fence decide on way or the other. If you have any questions, fire away.

Note: The camera seems pretty bad after a few test shots, but I can live with it. If you need a great camera phone, this is not the option for you.

Screenshot_2013-08-29-07-17-28.png

Screenshot_2013-08-29-07-17-35.png

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting! I've been reading a lot of people's experiences about these devices in the event that someone asks me about possible upgrade options (and they will!) I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience with the device.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
my gnex has never seen anything remotely close to 5 hours even with screen brightness off, sync off, location off, etc....i think verizon is going to make out with alot of gnex owners.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
my gnex has never seen anything remotely close to 5 hours even with screen brightness off, sync off, location off, etc....i think verizon is going to make out with alot of gnex owners.

I am with you. So far, this is night and day from my GNex. I need to truly test it by getting off WIFI for a day and traveling around. My office gets full 4 bars of 4G so that is a poor test. I think I will get more than 5 hours of screen time if I needed to sit down and use the phone for an extended period of time. My results were for over 48 hours (almost) and I used the screen over multiple sessions over that time.

Please keep in mind: This phone is not only a "Battery" phone. It is a good device with rich features.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
What is your opinion on the earpiece volume? I've read a few things now about the earpiece being even lower than the Nexus.

Its seems comparable, if my better. I have not made many calls using the earpiece as I usually use bluetooth speaker in my car. When I test more I'll update.

jimmyt

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
just got my maxx (man do I miss root) and I can say the call volume is better than the gnex - sounds clearer too.

like2angle

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my Maxx form Wirefly so I am still waiting. I have had terrible service from my Gnex and am looking forward to being rid of it.
I compared the Maxx sound volume and quality against the S4 at a Verizon store. I have hearing issues so its the first thing I look at.
The earpiece volume on the Maxx is slightly lower but the sound quality is better making it easier for me to understand speech. I don't know if that sound quality makes as much a difference for those of you with normal hearing.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Quick question xweb. When you added a line and put a dumb phone on it, did you need to activate your new smartphone on the dumb phone line, then reactivate the dumb phone and activate the smartphone on the unlimited line? Hope that made sense. Very interested in upgrading and maintaining my unlimited data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ktulu

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people are going from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Maxx, myself included. I knows there's more that goes into it: timing, limited Verizon choices, etc., but I can't help but think that the battery has a lot to do with it. I honestly can't imagine how people got by with the stock battery in the Galaxy Nexus. I put an extended battery in mine and it still required multiple charges a day. Samsung has seemingly set me up to overcompensate on battery life. Thanks Samsung, I couldn't be happier.

I've been told that Motorola has superior antenna or radio, or both, technology and my Droid X is still the only phone I can make calls with at our rural property. I'm eager to see how the Maxx performs in that limited service area. If the service I'm getting around Metro Detroit is any indicator, I think it's going to work well. I'll find out in a few weeks. The Galaxy Nexus has never been able to connect a call from there, even on those magical days when radio reception is better.

The Motorola Maxx, notice I dropped the Droid moniker as Motorola should have, is better than the Galaxy Nexus in every way I can think of except the Nexus-ness and the Verizon version was never truly Nexus. I chuckle a little at the complaints about a bloated, non-Nexus, experience. Yes there is some annoying crap on this phone, but a few of the best features of this phone are only available on the new Motorola phones.

I know it's been a while but I'm way more excited about this phone then I've ever been with the Galaxy Nexus. For me personally, after getting the Maxx and playing with the Moto X... Motorola is back in a big way.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
When you added a line and put a dumb phone on it, did you need to activate your new smartphone on the dumb phone line, then reactivate the dumb phone and activate the smartphone on the unlimited line? Hope that made sense. Very interested in upgrading and maintaining my unlimited data.

I believe he did exactly what you detailed, but I did not really need to do anything but stand there and wait. The Verizon rep did it all for me and I did not even need to bring in the dumb phone. I am not even sure the dumb phone I have even works. It was on my account from years ago. He set up everything and did all the transfers on his system as I was waiting. The rep did seem to be doing it outside of the view of his manager :)

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been told that Motorola has superior antenna or radio, or both, technology and my Droid X is still the only phone I can make calls with at our rural property. I'm eager to see how the Maxx performs in that limited service area. If the service I'm getting around Metro Detroit is any indicator, I think it's going to work well. I'll find out in a few weeks. The Galaxy Nexus has never been able to connect a call from there, even on those magical days when radio reception is better.

I'm super impressed by the radio in this phone. On my way home I've got a stretch of highway that is about 10 miles long. I've never had a phone that would maintain a call through all 10 miles. There's even one section that has always cut off the conversation. My wife and I joke we can tell how far away from home I am when our conversation gets cut off. I've had 3 conversations on my maxx through that section of road and not one of those conversations has been disconnected. Yesterday when i picked up my kids at school, I had 2 bars of 4g service. On my previous phones, I'd be luck to get 1 bar of 3g service. I really can not believe how well this phone holds it's signal.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My problem is that I am so conditioned to plugging my Gnex in all the time for it to charge that now that I have the Maxx I can't seem to break the habit (GRIN).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet