Power cycle vs Hard reboot..

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I got into a discussion (a few months ago) in the Razr HD Maxx forum and it was brought to my attention that a normal power down (just using the power button) was not really a cold boot, and to get a real reboot involved using the power button and volume rocker.

Just want to clarify what is best to recover memory in case of a memory leak or general maintenance to keep it running smooth.

How often do you folks do such things?

Last edited:

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Turn off phone.. Hold Volume down + Power.. Release Power then a menu will show up , Volume down to choose ... Volume Up to select.. Goto Recovery ... Once you see the Droid laying on its back with door open or whatever.. Hold Volume up ... Press power button then another Menu comes up.. Volume up or down to choose and Power to select.. Choose Wipe Cache.. Hit power to select.. phone will reboot itself automaticly after choosing.. .. Maybe do that when you think the phone is getting "Slower" but I usually just do it once a month maybe alittle longer..

Stilly1155

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Turn off phone.. Hold Volume down + Power.. Release Power then a menu will show up , Volume down to choose ... Volume Up to select.. Goto Recovery ... Once you see the Droid laying on its back with door open or whatever.. Hold Volume up ... Press power button then another Menu comes up.. Volume up or down to choose and Power to select.. Choose Wipe Cache.. Hit power to select.. phone will reboot itself automaticly after choosing.. .. Maybe do that when you think the phone is getting "Slower" but I usually just do it once a month maybe alittle longer..

Thanks for this!

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tried holding volume down along with power for the reboot. I have not been getting a menu when I release the power all I get is the home screen which slowly fades out. What might I be doing wrong?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I've tried holding volume down along with power for the reboot. I have not been getting a menu when I release the power all I get is the home screen which slowly fades out. What might I be doing wrong?

i havent tried myself but the phone needs to be off before you start anything. on my gnex you had to press in the middle of the volume rockers to get it to work. not sure if thats the case with the maxx or not (dont break your phone).

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
power off.... press and hold volume down.... press and hold power button... wait 5 seconds... release power button... there's your menu

Posted via The Maxx

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
this is for the new 2013 droid maxx with the x8 system.. don't get it confused with the "RAZR maxx HD or RAZR maxx"

Posted via The Maxx

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
the method I posted clears all cache for all apps. so you don't have to manually do them all..

You can also do this by going into Storage under Settings and clicking the cache button. Clearing it through recovery makes Android "upgrade" all the asps upon reboot, but if you're just looking for extra storage space there's no need to do that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4