Confession: This "X Feature" stuff is annoying

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, I shouldn't be tweaked by this. I should be happy that the active display feature is getting some coverage. But I admit, it annoys me that Phil posts this nice entry on the active display feature on Android Central and only calls it a "Moto X" feature. Hell, the only time the word "Maxx" shows up in the entry and all the comments is when it's part of someone's username.

Yes, it's an X feature. AND A MAXX FEATURE. And an Ultra feature. And a Mini feature. It'd just be nice if write-ups like this didn't give the impression that only the X has it.

http://m.androidcentral.com/moto-x-best-feature-active-display

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

kurpaige

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
For some reason no one like the maxx saying the x is designed better. Personally I don't find anything wrong with the maxx design

Sent from my XT1080

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
They're all great phones. You have to remember a lot of these articles are targeted at the larger audience. The X is available across the board, while the Droid line is Verizon exclusive. When you look at it like that, the way he worded it is ok. You're not wrong in what you said at all. It's a great feature of several devices.

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
They're all great phones. You have to remember a lot of these articles are targeted at the larger audience. The X is available across the board, while the Droid line is Verizon exclusive. When you look at it like that, the way he worded it is ok. You're not wrong in what you said at all. It's a great feature of several devices.

Because they are targeted to a large audience is all the more reason for a footnote at the bottom saying where the feature is available.

I am aware that the X is more broadly available. This is why I say I SHOULDN'T be annoyed. But, yes, sadly I am. After all, the Moto X customization is only available on AT&T right now, but it doesn't seem to limit anyone taking about.

ETA: I think what gets me is that if a site like Android Central doesn't mention it, the Maxx is doomed to obscurity. After all, who else is going to? The Verge? Puhlease.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
And it also wasn't me saying it ... it was one of your fellow forum members. :)

Go back to the Moto X review where I clearly stated most of these software features are in the news Droids. :)

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
ETA: I think what gets me is that if a site like Android Central doesn't mention it, the Maxx is doomed to obscurity. After all, who else is going to? The Verge? Puhlease.

Now this is seriously funny. Can you get banned for stupidity?

Posted via Android Central App

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that there is enough time left this weekend for me to explain it to you...

~ Sent from my Moto X ~

There is a difference between hyperbole and stupidity. You would do well to learn the difference as you spend time on these here intertubes. And if hyperbole were an offense, this forum would be empty. I know ad hominem attacks are par for the course in anonymous forums, but unless you intend to make some kind of reasoned argument, take it somewhere else.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Because they are targeted to a large audience is all the more reason for a footnote at the bottom saying where the feature is available.

I am aware that the X is more broadly available. This is why I say I SHOULDN'T be annoyed. But, yes, sadly I am. After all, the Moto X customization is only available on AT&T right now, but it doesn't seem to limit anyone taking about.

OP, I agree with you. It is a technicality, but it does bug me too, for the same reason. This would also be a good place to mention another little thing that shouldn't bother me, but does, as a dmaxx owner. So many dmaxx owners are saying that they are posting from a XT1080 (that's not the droid maxx, that's the droid ultra). I feel like if dmaxx owners on android central don't know the difference, the maxx is doomed to obscurity. I know it shouldn't bother me because that's just what tapatalk writes for them based on what the phone's firmware reports as its model number. but just because the ultra and maxx use the same software, doesn't mean they are the same model (and in fact have 2 seperate model numbers as explained in the ultra/maxx's fcc filing).

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
OP, I agree with you. It is a technicality, but it does bug me too, for the same reason. This would also be a good place to mention another little thing that shouldn't bother me, but does, as a dmaxx owner. So many dmaxx owners are saying that they are posting from a XT1080 (that's not the droid maxx, that's the droid ultra). I feel like if dmaxx owners on android central don't know the difference, the maxx is doomed to obscurity. I know it shouldn't bother me because that's just what tapatalk writes for them based on what the phone's firmware reports as its model number. but just because the ultra and maxx use the same software, doesn't mean they are the same model (and in fact have 2 seperate model numbers as explained in the ultra/maxx's fcc filing).

That's a fair and good point. I appreciate the doomed to obscurity poke, too. I'm changing my sig.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that remembers the day of the Moto x launch? I thought the consensus was people were extremely disappointed with the reveal.

Everyone thought it was going to be free at launch with a 2 year agreement, or some other awesome feature we hadn't heard about yet.

How did it slowly go from that to everyone talking about it like it's the best phone out?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that remembers the day of the Moto x launch? I thought the consensus was people were extremely disappointed with the reveal.

Everyone thought it was going to be free at launch with a 2 year agreement, or some other awesome feature we hadn't heard about yet.

How did it slowly go from that to everyone talking about it like it's the best phone out?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
I bought 2 Maxxes. Went to the store. Played with em for awhile. Compared em with other devices. Bought em. We like em. They meet our needs. We're still in the testing phase within our 14 day window. My wife and I don't rely on Internet reviews. We do our own reviews because noone knows our needs better than us. We're not concerned with others' opinions. They're never a factor in our purchasing decisions. My son wants a Moto X. He thinks it looks cooler than the Maxx. We'll get that also. We're pleased. That's all that matters in my household.

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Because as of today it is the best phone out. By a long shot.

~ Sent from my Moto X ~

How can that be when the maxx has the same underlying hardware, same software, a larger screen, bigger battery and better form factor?

See what I did there. I took my opinion, mixed it with a few casual observations, and stated it as fact. Maybe I should apply to the verge as a reviewer.

Sent from my XT1080M using Tapatalk 2