Screen scratches easily! Anyone else?

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This is my fifth Android phone, and everyone of them has had a "screen scratches easily" thread here. I never use screen protectors, and keep my phone in my pants pocket (all by itself, always!) and have never had scratches on any of them. I had my gnex for 18 months with only super fine swirl marks that were barely visible.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is my fifth Android phone, and everyone of them has had a "screen scratches easily" thread here. I never use screen protectors, and keep my phone in my pants pocket (all by itself, always!) and have never had scratches on any of them. I had my gnex for 18 months with only super fine swirl marks that were barely visible.

You've gotten lucky. I keep my pockets empty and the one time I tried doing this the screen scratched. I must have had pocket sand but no idea where that would have come from. I am new to screen protectors though as I used to use pocket pouches. I use a gel case now so a screen protector was necessary.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using AC Forums.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have got to say that if this is the new Gorilla Glass on the MAXX they need to go back to the old. I had my Bionic for over two years and never put a screen protector on it and always carried it in my pocket, sometimes with sand in it from cutting grass, and to this day it has not one scratch on it, not even a micro scratch. But today I have noticed on my DM there are two tiny scratches and I have been babying this thing since it's kind of new. Are we sure it really has Gorilla Glass?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have got to say that if this is the new Gorilla Glass on the MAXX they need to go back to the old. I had my Bionic for over two years and never put a screen protector on it and always carried it in my pocket, sometimes with sand in it from cutting grass, and to this day it has not one scratch on it, not even a micro scratch. But today I have noticed on my DM there are two tiny scratches and I have been babying this thing since it's kind of new. Are we sure it really has Gorilla Glass?

Yes, the Droid Maxx and Ultra has Gorilla Glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla/motorola

Sent from my Droid Maxx using AC Forums.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
sad to hear about those experiencing issues. i didnt remove the screen protector that came on the phone until i had one to replace it. id rather not have to do this but it really isnt a big deal for me.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm rocking mine naked, so far so good...

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Then it's not very good Gorilla glass....Just sayin'.

Its not bad either. There are those who say their glass is scratch free and those who say otherwise. Remember it only takes one grain of pocket sand to scratch a screen. You may have never had this happen before but it doesn't mean this glass is any worse then your other devices glass. I've had people tell me their Note II screen looked flawless and yet mine had a scratch. But to this day they don't have any so it's just the luck of the draw.

Last edited:

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Its not bad either. There are those who say their glass is scratch free and those who say otherwise. Remember it only takes one grand of pocket sand to scratch a screen. You may have never had this happen before but it doesn't mean this glass is any worse then your other devices glass. I've had people tell me their Note II screen looked flawless and yet mine had a scratch. But to this day they don't have any so it's just the luck of the draw.

Yup. Unless you vacuum out your pockets every time you put your phone in them there is no way to guarantee that something is not in there to scratch a screen. I had a bonic and had scratches on my screen. This time I had a screen protector put on my phone in the store as soon as it was taken out of the box. When you go naked it is at your own risk. For every person that goes two years scratch free there is somebody that gets scratches the first month. It's just luck to stay scratch free that long without a protector really. No glass is scratchproof.

perkdog65

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Unless you vacuum out your pockets every time you put your phone in them there is no way to guarantee that something is not in there to scratch a screen. I had a bonic and had scratches on my screen. This time I had a screen protector put on my phone in the store as soon as it was taken out of the box. When you go naked it is at your own risk. For every person that goes two years scratch free there is somebody that gets scratches the first month. It's just luck to stay scratch free that long without a protector really. No glass is scratchproof.
Yes all of this I understand so I was just one lucky SOB for two years with my Bionic :p. It's just funny how I can carry my old phone around like I did for so long and not get a single scratch on it and then carry my new DM around in the same pants pockets with the same STUFF in the pockets in the same geographical areas for less than two weeks and it scratches. Don't get me wrong, I understand and accept full responsibility for going naked, LOL just voicing an opinion. I am over it and will let it go.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes all of this I understand so I was just one lucky SOB for two years with my Bionic :p. It's just funny how I can carry my old phone around like I did for so long and not get a single scratch on it and then carry my new DM around in the same pants pockets with the same STUFF in the pockets in the same geographical areas for less than two weeks and it scratches. Don't get me wrong, I understand and accept full responsibility for going naked, LOL just voicing an opinion. I am over it and will let it go.

I understand. Its also a possibility you got unlucky and just a spec of an abrasive object touched the screen and scratched it. It's an awful feeling that's for sure.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Sorry if I came across as lecturing, did not intend to. But you can go to the forum of just about any flagship phone a couple of weeks after release and find this exact same thread. Trust me, I know how you feel. Never used any protection and was always good, but on my last phone got a scratch the first month of ownership. Now I use protection. Hope you enjoy the maxx otherwise, it is a great phone IMO! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz