Screen scratches easily! Anyone else?

damnyankees

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my Maxx last Thursday night (upgraded from Gnex). Between Thursday night and Saturday morning when I noticed a really obvious scratch on the screen, the phone was in my pocket or on a table/desk for probably 90% of the time. The rest of the time, it was sitting in my car cupholder or my wife was using it (in the car next to me). I now notice a handful of other more "hairline" scratches. Isn't this phone supposed to have Gorilla Glass? Anyone else experiencing this? I plan on going back to Verizon tonight and replacing the phone (because I love it otherwise), but I'm really taken aback by this scratching situation.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Picked up my Maxx last Thursday night (upgraded from Gnex). Between Thursday night and Saturday morning when I noticed a really obvious scratch on the screen, the phone was in my pocket or on a table/desk for probably 90% of the time. The rest of the time, it was sitting in my car cupholder or my wife was using it (in the car next to me). I now notice a handful of other more "hairline" scratches. Isn't this phone supposed to have Gorilla Glass? Anyone else experiencing this? I plan on going back to Verizon tonight and replacing the phone (because I love it otherwise), but I'm really taken aback by this scratching situation.

No scratches at all. I'm going naked and keep it in my pocket most of the time.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Where are you located? Gorilla Glass is fairly strong against things like razors, but something like sand could scratch it up.

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm nekkid too. no scratches .. I keep it in my pocket solo, but I try to pull out the lint before hand

Posted via The Maxx

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Was anything else in your pocket with it? It is very resistant to scratches, but not impervious. Putting it in a pocket with keys, etc, would be a bad choice.

damnyankees

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
This. If you don't want scratches, protect it. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

I understand, but glass shouldn't scratch in an empty pocket. I'm very careful with my phone and never put it in my pocket with anything else. One scratch is deep enough that you can feel it if you just rub your finger over it. The others are very very minor (especially in comparison). Anyways, thanks for the responses.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Sounds odd. Yes, it is G Glass, not sure 2 or 3, we've gotten both as answers. I kept my Razr naked in my pocket and it looks new.

Payne78

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
That is odd. I've never had screen protectors on my Motorola phones, since the original droid. Only got very fine scratches on my Droid M. My Maxx is totally naked and will stay like that cuz it's so sexy that way. :)

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Man first thing I buy is a zagg screen protector. Kind of expensive but worth it when it prevents damage

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The glass isn't usually what scratches but rather the extra layer of chemical that does. Forgot what this layer does though.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have a couple of small and now one deep scratch on my new DM screen. However I am careless with my phones and I'm on vaca in myrtle beach right now and sand is everywhere around me. Lol. It is what it is!!

Posted via Android Central App

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I was so careful (obviously not enough) and it always went into my empty pocket. I noticed what looked like a scratch in the middle of the screen and a definite scratch on the side of the screen where with a fingernail scrape you can feel the groove. First time I tried going naked with a phone, thinking the gorilla glass would be fine if I was really careful. Nope. So I put a screen protector on it and I'll deal with it. Love the phone though.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I understand, but glass shouldn't scratch in an empty pocket. I'm very careful with my phone and never put it in my pocket with anything else. One scratch is deep enough that you can feel it if you just rub your finger over it. The others are very very minor (especially in comparison). Anyways, thanks for the responses.

Have kids?

asbestos

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with mine. Went to the VZW store and was basically told to buzz off and told I was an irresponsible owner.

Called VZW and escalated it and was told the same thing.

Love the phone, love the battery, hate the screen weakness.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey