OK Google Now issues

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
About 48 hours into my Maxx ownership and mostly it's been good, but there are some things with voice input that I haven't gotten to work, or work the way I want.

1. When I ask it to show my agenda, it appears to only be looking at my primary Google calendar. I have several other Google calendars - two for volleyball teams which I share with them, one for personal stuff which I don't want to sync to Lotus Notes at work, etc. These other calendars do sync with and display in the Calendar app on the phone. Is there any way to get "OK Google Now" to include them?

2. "Listen to (song)". It takes me to the store and offers to let me buy the song. I already own the song and it's in my Google Music library. "Listen to (song2)". It opens a web search for the song. Etc. I have never been able to get it to open Play Music and play the darn song.

3. When I ask it to send a text, it's picky. "Text Sasha" doesn't work. "Send a text to Sasha saying ..." works. But, I can't see any way to edit the message before sending, and it usually gets at least one thing wrong in transcription. If I was younger I'd probably just let it go - I think people nowadays are used to garbled texts - but I'm old school and like my written communication to be correct.

4. The whole silliness of saying "OK Google Now" to my phone. I'd rather say something like "hey phone!".

Optimus Prune

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Regarding #4, you can retrain with a different phrase, though it only accepts certain phrases. You might try to get away with. "Hey, Google phone!" That might be close enough phonetically to "OK Google Now" that it would accept it.

Also, try "Play xxxx" for music to play in Google Play. I haven't had any problems getting it to boot up and I tried "Play Modestep", which was a little obscure, but it worked.

Sent from a Droid Maxx.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
About 48 hours into my Maxx ownership and mostly it's been good, but there are some things with voice input that I haven't gotten to work, or work the way I want.

1. When I ask it to show my agenda, it appears to only be looking at my primary Google calendar. I have several other Google calendars - two for volleyball teams which I share with them, one for personal stuff which I don't want to sync to Lotus Notes at work, etc. These other calendars do sync with and display in the Calendar app on the phone. Is there any way to get "OK Google Now" to include them?

2. "Listen to (song)". It takes me to the store and offers to let me buy the song. I already own the song and it's in my Google Music library. "Listen to (song2)". It opens a web search for the song. Etc. I have never been able to get it to open Play Music and play the darn song.

3. When I ask it to send a text, it's picky. "Text Sasha" doesn't work. "Send a text to Sasha saying ..." works. But, I can't see any way to edit the message before sending, and it usually gets at least one thing wrong in transcription. If I was younger I'd probably just let it go - I think people nowadays are used to garbled texts - but I'm old school and like my written communication to be correct.

4. The whole silliness of saying "OK Google Now" to my phone. I'd rather say something like "hey phone!".

2. Try saying "play xxxxxx"

3. Saying text just opens a blank text message. Send text/message to will allow you to add your message.

4. I got away with "ok google", which is what google glass uses. Unfortunately it was buggy and would prompt me at the most random times.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
2. Try saying "play xxxxxx"

3. Saying text just opens a blank text message. Send text/message to will allow you to add your message.

4. I got away with "ok google", which is what google glass uses. Unfortunately it was buggy and would prompt me at the most random times.

The "OK GOOGLE NOW" phrase drives me crazy. It works every time for the most part but nearly EVERY TIME I want to show it off the phone acts as if it doesn't hear me. Like yeah okay thanks phone. :/

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually used it to open a song today for the first time to try it out. It gave me an option to go to the play store to buy it as it wasn't on my device, play it on all access or Rdio or a Google search. When I chose all access, it remembered that choice for the next song I asked for and when it loaded immediately played.

Posted via Android Central App

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I actually used it to open a song today for the first time to try it out. It gave me an option to go to the play store to buy it as it wasn't on my device, play it on all access or Rdio or a Google search. When I chose all access, it remembered that choice for the next song I asked for and when it loaded immediately played.

Yes, I had to do the same thing. Tell it to "listen to 'abc'" and once it opens up it looks like a web search but it should give you an option to search on the play store or through play music. Select play music and it will remember your setting and then automatically play the music in the future.

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
"Play Flat Tire", "Listen to Flat Tire", "Listen to Flat Tire by Albert King", all just open a web search. It recognizes my words correctly, it just doesn't seem to know this is a song.

"Play Rush" shows an image of the band Rush and then opens Play Music, which then plays "And The Tide Rushes In" by The Moody Blues. This is the only song in the queue. There are two other songs in my library with "Rush" in the title but it didn't put them in the queue, which wasn't what I wanted anyway but at least would have been consistent. What I expected was a mix of the 16 songs by the artist Rush which are in my library. "Play songs by Rush" does the exact same thing as "Play Rush".

"Listen to the band Rush" shows a picture of "Honey Rush Band" and opens Play Music with "No results found". Honey Rush Band isn't something in my library.

dditzel

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The "OK GOOGLE NOW" phrase drives me crazy. It works every time for the most part but nearly EVERY TIME I want to show it off the phone acts as if it doesn't hear me. Like yeah okay thanks phone. :/

Haha, yup, pretty much 98% of the time this happens to me as well...

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
"Call x" doesn't quite work, because every single time it pops up the dialog asking if I want to use Phone or Skype - even though every time I answer Phone, Always. The phone apparently forgets that. And I don't see how to answer that dialog by voice.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
"Play Flat Tire", "Listen to Flat Tire", "Listen to Flat Tire by Albert King", all just open a web search. It recognizes my words correctly, it just doesn't seem to know this is a song.

"Play Rush" shows an image of the band Rush and then opens Play Music, which then plays "And The Tide Rushes In" by The Moody Blues. This is the only song in the queue. There are two other songs in my library with "Rush" in the title but it didn't put them in the queue, which wasn't what I wanted anyway but at least would have been consistent. What I expected was a mix of the 16 songs by the artist Rush which are in my library. "Play songs by Rush" does the exact same thing as "Play Rush".

"Listen to the band Rush" shows a picture of "Honey Rush Band" and opens Play Music with "No results found". Honey Rush Band isn't something in my library.

I use the phrase "play artist ......." And it works every time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
"Play artist Rush" only brings up a web search. "Play artist Albert King" starts Play Music and puts one song in the queue ("Crosscut Saw"). Shouldn't it queue up a mix of all songs by the artist?

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

neurotoxiq

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I use the phrase "play artist ......." And it works every time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

What do you mean it works every time? For me when I say "play (artist)" it opens up play music and shows me the artist in a menu. I would much prefer it to immediately play songs from that artist

Last edited:

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

With Google Search 2.7.9.789824.arm "Listen to Flat Tire" works correctly by firing up the music player and playing Flat Tire by Albert King. Any phrase with "Rush" still fires up the music player with that same Moody Blues song with "Rush" in the title. So, some progress.

redddog

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any luck opening apps with touchless control?

I say "open pandora" and I get the status bar, it says opening pandora, the status bar finishes and then nothing. Never had it work.

Anyoe else?

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Not with Pandora. It recognizes that it's an app and has that open app text but never opens it. "Launch gmail" works, so does "launch ac forums" as long as it hears the 's' at the end. "Launch Maps" looks like it's going to work but opens some bizarre interface where the one thing I can't do is see an actual map. "Launch aCar" fails because it doesn't recognize "aCar".

nicholasjrice

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
When I want to listen to a song or artist. I have to say Hey Google Now Play ?SOME" then the artist or song or both... Always works for me

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Was opening them fine for me until last update. No just goes to chrome webpage for app. Was better before hopefully they will fix.

Please send feed back on Google now scroll to bottom and in menu you can send

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
When I want to listen to a song or artist. I have to say Hey Google Now Play ”SOME" then the artist or song or both... Always works for me

"Play some Rush" -> web search
"Play some Propellerheads" -> web search
"Play some Beatles" -> looked like it was going to work but Play Music launched with the song it was playing previously (yesterday) still paused, and didn't put anything new in the play queue. I cleared the queue and exited the app, then tried the voice command again. Play Music launched and shows an Artists tile of The Beatles, but does not play any music. If I tap on the tile and select Instant Mix, it starts playing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. If I view the queue, there are 24 songs, and only 3 of them are Beatles. I have no idea WTF it thinks it's doing. -- Ah, I assumed "Start instant mix" would be that artist only, looking it up I see they define it as selections that match the mood and style. To do what I want - you know, what I asked for, "Play some Beatles" - that tile under Artist would have to have a menu entry for "Add to queue", and it doesn't.

Quite frustrating.

This actually works for you? Launches the app, stuffs a bunch of songs by that artist only in the queue, and begins playing?

nicholasjrice

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
6eju3yvu.jpg
ehebuheh.jpg
tyba4a8u.jpg
5eqa6avy.jpg