Developer Edition

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have my answer about whether to pay full retail or give up the unlimited data plan. I have been leaning toward the XT1080M for several weeks, and I will probably have the funds in a couple of weeks. Hope they don't sell out or go on interminable backorder by then.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
While I'm generally a fan of Vanilla, I'm guessing it lacks the "always listening" features of the regular Maxx? If so, I'm glad to have the regular version.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
While I'm generally a fan of Vanilla, I'm guessing it lacks the "always listening" features of the regular Maxx? If so, I'm glad to have the regular version.

Its the exact same as the regular MAXX except the bootloader is unlockable. It doesn't lack anything

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
i cant think of a reason why touchless countrols wouldnt work just because its a dev edition?

hey grants welcome back. did you end up returning your moto x?

yidfixy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
i cant think of a reason why touchless countrols wouldnt work just because its a dev edition?

hey grants welcome back. did you end up returning your moto x?

Think about how the IR Blasters on the HTC One Dev edition don't work. Some hardware drivers are implemented at the "skin" level. Developers then must recreate these drivers to restore the hardware's functionality.

Unless the drivers for the dedicated language chip are hardcoded on the "vanilla" android version*, it won't work on a developer edition.

*Since Google and Motorola have joined this is an interesting concept

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Think about how the IR Blasters on the HTC One Dev edition don't work. Some hardware drivers are implemented at the "skin" level. Developers then must recreate these drivers to restore the hardware's functionality.

Unless the drivers for the dedicated language chip are hardcoded on the "vanilla" android version*, it won't work on a developer edition.

*Since Google and Motorola have joined this is an interesting concept

I believe you are thinking of the Google play edition HTC ONE not the developer edition. Developer editions are the exact same version as carrier versions they just don't have bloatware and can be boot loader unlocked.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It is currently out of stock on the site. I was thinking of ordering this because I didn't want the Verizon bloatware. However, I did some research. The Droid Razr M developer edition and Droid Razr HD developer edition phones had the same operating system and software as the regular versions sold directly by Verizon. They did not contain stock Android operating systems and still had Verizon bloatware on them. They did not receive updates directly from Google, although that may not be as important these days. As someone on the Droid-Life forums posted:

" 1 ?Share ?
CapnShiner T4rd ? 11 months ago −
You're forgetting one very important piece of information: The device and software on the developer edition is almost exactly the same as the regular version. The only difference is the bootloader. Software developed on the RAZR HD Developer Edition will work just fine on the regular RAZR HD. "

I would be interested in a Google Play version of the Droid Maxx so that I could have stock Android. However, I would not be interested in an unlocked bootloader because I don't root or install ROMs.

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll sell my perfect consumer edition to anyone who wants it. I want the developer edition

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
I'm fence sitting so much right now on the Droid Maxx. Should I get the developer edition now while it's in stock (as I write this), or should I play it safe and wait first for the official confirmation that Verizon is not going to get a new Nexus phone this year? There's that pesky Motorola Nexus rumor that keeps making me hope.

P.S. I'm sure you all guessed it by now, but I currently have a Galaxy Nexus

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm fence sitting so much right now on the Droid Maxx. Should I get the developer edition now while it's in stock (as I write this), or should I play it safe and wait first for the official confirmation that Verizon is not going to get a new Nexus phone this year? There's that pesky Motorola Nexus rumor that keeps making me hope.

I love my maxx, but I'd also like to wait and confirm no nexus on vzw before selling my maxx for the Dev edition.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I think the rumors of a Moto Nexus this year are debunked. LG will have the Nexus 5 by all accounts.

I could not wait with my GN any longer, so I went Maxx a few weeks ago and I love it. It is as close to vanilla android as you are going to get, and the enhancements are actually useful. Personally I prefer this over a Nexus for now. I may regret it down the road if Verizon does not update and I miss out on a feature that I want.

From that aspect, it makes sense for some to wait for the announcement. Remember Verizon may not even get the Nexus (again) which probably puts you back at a Maxx.

If you did not root your GN and flash ROMs, I'd seriously consider a Maxx now. Verizon is likely the slow link on updates.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
I could not wait with my GN any longer, so I went Maxx a few weeks ago and I love it. I may regret it down the road if Verizon does not update and I miss out on a feature that I want.

From that aspect, it makes sense for some to wait for the announcement. Remember Verizon may not even get the Nexus (again) which probably puts you back at a Maxx.

If you did not root your GN and flash ROMs, I'd seriously consider a Maxx now. Verizon is likely the slow link on updates.
You pretty much laid out my concerns. I want a new phone as I'm just tired of the GN's battery life, but the Maxx may be super slow with updates because of Verizon and I want to be able to at least get Kit Kat. I did root and flashed ROMs on my GNex, but I'm hoping that since the developer edition of the Maxx is out, it can convince more devs to support it.

Anybody know how exactly Motorola's (30 Days?) return policy is? I could just order the Maxx Dev Edition now, and if at the very remote chance Google announces a Verizon Nexus next month, I could just return it, reactivate my GNex, then wait for the new VZWNexus.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So, is it impossible to unlock the bootloader of the regular Maxx?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Well not impossible, but not likely. They did not think root would happen or that we would get past write protection and both happened. No telling what will happen. Right now, root is as good as we get.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01