Ringtones/Notification Sounds

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how to access any pre-installed sounds. In Calendar or Contacts when I try to assign a sound/ringtone, I get "Choose path" and it points to /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones, where I had copied in some sounds of my own. I must have tried to assign custom tones earlier to find out what path it was looking at, then dumped my own files there. But where is the default sound? The chooser won't let me navigate out of /storage/emulated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Use an App to set those tones. Rings Extended was a good one and is free. As to why the sound are not showing, that could be a format issue. Rings Extended should work without a problem - there may be other apps, so take a minute to see what the Play Store offers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Use an App to set those tones. Rings Extended was a good one and is free. As to why the sound are not showing, that could be a format issue. Rings Extended should work without a problem - there may be other apps, so take a minute to see what the Play Store offers.

*confused* You think the pre-installed sounds have a format issue?

To be clear, the sounds files which I added all show, and all play fine. The problem is that I can't find the pre-installed sounds. I assume there are/were some.

lordbah

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Answered on Motorola forum. System sounds are in /system/media/audio, and I had to Settings -> Apps -> Menu -> Reset app preferences, Settings -> Sound -> Phone notification, and choose Media Storage to select a ringtone. It then presented sounds from both the default area and the area I copied to. Apparently I had previously chosen to use ES File Explorer Always.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Answered on Motorola forum. System sounds are in /system/media/audio, and I had to Settings -> Apps -> Menu -> Reset app preferences, Settings -> Sound -> Phone notification, and choose Media Storage to select a ringtone. It then presented sounds from both the default area and the area I copied to. Apparently I had previously chosen to use ES File Explorer Always.

Well, you could have reset defaults in settings,apps,es file explorer rather than resetting all defaults, but it's all good if it works.