Will the MAXX work on AT&T or T-Mobile?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys -- I am on T-Mobile right now, but am really intrigued by the Droid Maxx. My question is whether there is any way for the Maxx to work on a GSM network, such as AT&T or T-Mobile? I heard somewhere that all Verizon phones come unlocked now, as part of getting a certain band approved by the FCC, but haven't been able to confirm that. If the Maxx can work on a GSM network, is it missing any of AT&T or T-Mobile's bands such that my cell or data reception will suffer? Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think that this was mentioned in the most recent podcast, and they said it should work with HSPA+, but probably not LTE. Also the regular GSM bands are there as well.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It will work with T-Mobile. The phone is carrier unlocked and is a world phone. But it only supports the 700mhz 4g LTE spectrum. On GSM networks, you can only achieve HSPA+.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Awesome - thanks for the responses! I am okay with not having LTE. I typically turn LTE off anyway to save battery. My cell reception and coverage will be just fine though, right?

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Awesome - thanks for the responses! I am okay with not having LTE. I typically turn LTE off anyway to save battery. My cell reception and coverage will be just fine though, right?

Well, of course it will depend on the carrier's strength in your area, but will it be much different than another device, made for T-Mobile? Not really. Your reception should be equal (or better, depending) to other devices you're using on T-Mobile.

zurmarie

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
What up you all. New to form. I sign up because I saw the post about the droid maxx. I have one its a great phone. Some has already gave you'll the break down about the 4g LTE . I will tell you a few trick. If you are just using the internet it will work fine but if you need to make a call it rejects. Right? Well if you want to deal with the bull. When you look at signal bar and it says 4g LTE attempt to make 2 or 3 calls the 3 call will work. Watch how the connection change. As long as it doesn't say 4g LTE you can make calls. Or just manually change to globle. But if you need the 4g after your phone call just switch back. And you CAN receive call with 4g LTE. I use T-Mobile too. I'm assuming it should work the same for at&t.

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I went with a Moto X and miss the battery life and screen size. Now I am lucky to get through a full day. I can get through a work day, but if I go out after work sometimes I need to charge it if I am not sure how to get home by bus where I am at.

The Maxx will work on t-mobile in refarmed markets. It can pull LTE and HSPDA+. The issue is with 4.4. It has issues switching from LTE to HSPDA for calls and SMS. If you are on LTE you will get an error trying to call or send texts. The fix for now is to put it in HSPDA only mode. We are hopeful that the 4.4.2 update will fix this. It was working in 4.2.2

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have used both a mini and maxx on T-Mobile and now a mini on at&t(aio) and the at&t experience is much better for me.

justme247

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Why is my maxx not working right on T-Mobile? Have issues with calls, messages, and internet. I have signal but it just won't follow thru. Don't want to go back to VZN. I'm still pi##ed at them for screwing with me but.....

It is what it is. Like it...or not. You decide

justme247

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh and I should mention I have apps opening all on their own. Is there a little VZN gremlin in my phone or what?

It is what it is. Like it...or not. You decide

Alia Blackwell

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys -- I am on T-Mobile right now, but am really intrigued by the Droid Maxx. My question is whether there is any way for the Maxx to work on a GSM network, such as AT&T or T-Mobile? I heard somewhere that all Verizon phones come unlocked now, as part of getting a certain band approved by the FCC, but haven't been able to confirm that. If the Maxx can work on a GSM network, is it missing any of AT&T or T-Mobile's bands such that my cell or data reception will suffer? Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks!

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I went with a Moto X and miss the battery life and screen size. Now I am lucky to get through a full day. I can get through a work day, but if I go out after work sometimes I need to charge it if I am not sure how to get home by bus where I am at.

The Maxx will work on t-mobile in refarmed markets. It can pull LTE and HSPDA+. The issue is with 4.4. It has issues switching from LTE to HSPDA for calls and SMS. If you are on LTE you will get an error trying to call or send texts. The fix for now is to put it in HSPDA only mode. We are hopeful that the 4.4.2 update will fix this. It was working in 4.2.2

How do you put the Maxx into HSDPA only mode?

kaiser10123

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
For all those wanting to use droid maxx on lte for tmobile but not have the issue with making calls I have started using app Voice+ (Google Voice callback) . This works for me because i use Google Voice as my number. You can get incoming calls fine but outgoing calls will not go through when on lte so use app to have it call your phone for outgoing calls and it will call you and then connect you.