Droid Maxx - Power Cycle on its own

luv2spike

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a new Droid Maxx on 8/23/13. Within a few days, it was power cycling on its own on a regular basis, sometimes once a day, sometimes multiple times a day, including one day for 20 minutes non-stop.

I returned it and received a replacement last week (the 17th I believe) and it is now doing the same thing, it started within 24 hours of receiving it. I have done a soft reset, and am currently backing up my photos so I will have them when I do a hard reset, as they suggested. They have also suggested installing 1 or 2 apps at a time to see if it may be an app issue.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am thinking we may be able to compare installed apps to see if we may have some of the same ones?

Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a new Droid Maxx on 8/23/13. Within a few days, it was power cycling on its own on a regular basis, sometimes once a day, sometimes multiple times a day, including one day for 20 minutes non-stop.

I returned it and received a replacement last week (the 17th I believe) and it is now doing the same thing, it started within 24 hours of receiving it. I have done a soft reset, and am currently backing up my photos so I will have them when I do a hard reset, as they suggested. They have also suggested installing 1 or 2 apps at a time to see if it may be an app issue.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am thinking we may be able to compare installed apps to see if we may have some of the same ones?

Thanks!
I think it may be an App. Did you remember downloading a particular App before this starting to happen? You can try a factory reset and don't install Apps right away. Give it a few hours (maybe a day or so) before installing your Apps. If there is no problem then install one App at a time and see if the issue starts up again. If it does, then you can possibly narrow the issue down to that last installed App and remove it.

luv2spike

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't installed any on this phone that I didn't have on my last phone, so they all installed at the same time! As much as I hate to do a hard reset and start over, it looks like that may be the best choice!
Thank you

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

I do not have this problem but my first thought is that it is probably an app causing the problem. I hope you figure it out. :)

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
My Maxx has never power cycled. Hopefully you get to the bottom of it.

Are you using a wireless charger?

luv2spike

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Not using a wireless charger. I use the Mophie (I think that's what it's called - the one that gets charged, then charges the phone). I have tried the app thing, so far I think I have it narrowed down to the problem app (as much as I don't want to admit it, bc it's one of my favorites). I've installed about 5/6 with no issues yet!

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to suggest a theory: could it be that you are accidentally holding the power button sometimes? I had a restart today (first one), and I'm pretty sure it's because I leaned on the power button while my phone was in its holster. This used to happen on my Stratosphere until I became conscious of the pressure I was putting on my holster. After that I never had any problems.

Good luck!

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
my maxx power cycled yesterday for the first time. all my apps are the same as my gnex, with the exception of AC app. im not concerned, yet.

edit- mine was sort of strange because i hardly used the phone at all. maybe like 15 minutes in a 5 hour period. while it was sitting on my desk i heard it vibrate, looked over and sure enough - the boot animation.

andrewh

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
my maxx power cycled yesterday for the first time. all my apps are the same as my gnex, with the exception of AC app. im not concerned, yet.

edit- mine was sort of strange because i hardly used the phone at all. maybe like 15 minutes in a 5 hour period. while it was sitting on my desk i heard it vibrate, looked over and sure enough - the boot animation.

I've had the same thing happen. The phone was sitting on my desk, heard it vibrate, looked over and saw the boot screen. The first time it did it it wiped my battery stats, but the past two didn't. I first noticed it last week and when it happened Friday afternoon I started to track it. It happened again Monday morning and one more time this morning. I only have well known/non-sketch apps (outside of 1) installed: google calendar, chromecast, dropbox, FB, GSam, netflix, pandora, quickoffice (new google version - installed after the reboots started), TWC tv, twitter, ubersync, and watchespn. The rest were pre-installed. I was thinking it might have been one of the following disabled apps: google+ or sync (had a verizon icon ;)) so I reenabled them after this mornings reboot to see what happens. It seems to happen every 3-4 days

ebphd

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine was power cycling at least once a day, got it swapped out and used the same apps and now there is no issue (had well over a week of up time before choosing to reboot). Mine would only power cycle when not in use, I would notice when it's sitting on my desk or my pocket vibrated. I never had it power cycle when using it.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had my non-rooted Droid Maxx for less than a week, and had my first spontaneous reboot this weekend. I too had a bunch of the stock apps disabled. I have since re-enabled all of them. I also have about a dozen added apps installed, although they are pretty well established apps, ones that I used to run on my RMHD previously. Only new app to my portfolio is Llama to replace the Smart Actions i used to have. However that app had been installed since the day I got the phone. I had not added any apps the day that it rebooted either.

One interesting item to note, is that during the reboot, it was silent, and instead of the typical startup sound, it just had a short vibration. Phone was in my sweatshirt pocket, and the vibrate surprised me, because I dont typically use any vibration notifications. Thats when I saw it rebooting.

EDIT: In response to another question, yes, I do wireless charging, i have the Ghost 100 charger.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Maxx for about 1 month. I have noticed it doing a reboot 3 times now. I don't see a pattern and have several apps installed that have run fine on other phones. I use the Ghost 100 wireless charger. It's isn't bothering me yet but wish VZW would release the software upgrade.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Original phone, purchased release date. It's never rebooted on its own, in fact, I posted in another thread how it had 25 days of uptime today before a mobile data problem forced me to reboot.

Mines only rebooted three or four times in six weeks, each time because I wanted it to. Wish I could say the same about my 2013 B beech Nexus 7!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I asked about wireless charging because my Nexus 7 often turns off when on a wireless charger. I thought perhaps it was a heat issue. So far there have been no reboots on my Maxx. I did catch it being a little sluggish this weekend, but I had alot of apps open.

One feature I miss from some of the custom GNex roms was the kill all button that closed all open apps that were open in the multi task window. It is a little cumbersome swiping to close 8 apps. God I am lazy... :)

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
My maxx hd always ran smoother with a forced restart every few days. My droid maxx only seems to reboot when I'm not using it. Maybe it's a good thing lol.

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
What I have found is the only time my phone reboots is if the pocket is tight that I keep my phone in. It must be pressing the power key because it will reboot. I have never had the phone reboot just sitting on a surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca