Maxx having issues with maintaining data on WiFi

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had problems with their Maxx loosing data connectivity on WiFi? I have this issue many times throughout the day. Other devices are working fine during the times I am having issues with my Maxx. It shows connected to WiFi but data is not working. If I turn off WiFi, LTE picks up and works fine. I then toggle WiFi back on and it usually starts working again.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about losing connection on your home network, or any wifi network? If it's your home network only, there are a few things you can try:

1. Reboot the router, i.e. unplug the power, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in again, and wait another 20-30 seconds for the network to reestablish.
2. On your phone, go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/Wi-fi, select your home network, and Forget it. Then reconnect.
3. Try turning your router's security off temporarily to see if that's causing problems. To do so, check the router manual to learn how to access its settings from your desktop browser.
4. If turning the security off helped, then try turning it back on, but this time use a different encryption protocol (e.g., WPA instead of WEP or vice-versa, or AES instead of TKIP or vice-versa).
5. Install an app like Wifi Analyzer on your phone and see if there are a lot of other wifi networks around you that are using the same channel as your router. If there are a lot, then change the channel your router uses by going into its settings.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the Droid Maxx or the Droid RAZR HD Maxx? I'm asking because I've never heard of or experienced this with the Droid Maxx. I did have this issue constantly with the RAZR HD though. I'm just trying to make sure you're on the correct forum.

Also, either way, what type of router do you have (Make and Model) and do you have the latest firmware?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

NewDad09

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my Droid Maxx. I will be showing a strong WIFI connection but suddenly nothing is loading. When I turn off my WIFI everything starts connecting again. If I immediately turn WIFI back on it does not fix things. Rebooting my phone does fix the issue. I have been keeping an eye out to see if there are others having the same problem but I haven't seen much.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my Droid Maxx. I will be showing a strong WIFI connection but suddenly nothing is loading. When I turn off my WIFI everything starts connecting again. If I immediately turn WIFI back on it does not fix things. Rebooting my phone does fix the issue. I have been keeping an eye out to see if there are others having the same problem but I haven't seen much.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

What is the make and model of your router? Latest firmware?

NewDad09

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
What is the make and model of your router? Latest firmware?

I am using an Actiontec Verizon FIOS router: MI424WR-GEN3I
I checked and it has the most current firmware: 40.20.7

I was just experiencing the problem again and restarted my phone so I could get back on WIFI.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am using an Actiontec Verizon FIOS router: MI424WR-GEN3I
I checked and it has the most current firmware: 40.20.7

I was just experiencing the problem again and restarted my phone so I could get back on WIFI.

I should have guessed it. I've never used a Router/Modem combo before but my friends have and its a disaster. I always recommend to them calling up their ISP and having the Router portion of it disabled. I forgot the technical name for this though so I apologize. This may be part of the issue and I do realize its been said here only the Droid Maxx has an issue. My friend had all sorts of issues with his Droid RAZR Maxx and Xbox 360 on some (unknown) Verizon FiOS combo device. If you're willing to try doing what I mentioned above I would try an Asus router. I have the newest one that goes for around $200 because its AC technology but the cheaper ones will do fine. Some swear by Linksys too but I will never buy another Cisco product again. The conflicts their Windows Certified routers cause with Xbox Live was too much hassle.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I should have guessed it. I've never used a Router/Modem combo before but my friends have and its a disaster. I always recommend to them calling up their ISP and having the Router portion of it disabled. I forgot the technical name for this though so I apologize.

Bridge mode, probably?

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas B. Diddy

I have tried all these. I am very technology adapt and I wish it was this simple. This is the only phone that does this. My G4, Nexus 7 and my 4 Ipads and wife's iphone 5 all do not have this issue.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
"Are you using the Droid Maxx or the Droid RAZR HD Maxx? I'm asking because I've never heard of or experienced this with the Droid Maxx. I did have this issue constantly with the RAZR HD though. I'm just trying to make sure you're on the correct forum.

Also, either way, what type of router do you have (Make and Model) and do you have the latest firmware?"

Yes the Droid Maxx. Latest version. I have tried this with a linksys router and my Apple Router. All latest firmware. This is the only device out of many connected that is experience this issue.

Last edited:

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
In wifi advanced settings, uncheck "avoid poor connections". This helped with the old RAZR HD's, and may help on your Droid Maxx

silinthar

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem, but now my Maxx isn't connecting to any wifi network at all. My other devices have no problem, so i know it's not the router at all.

I think it's something to do with the wifi on the phone, either a os issue or a hardware issue.

Walk_man

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have tried all of the things on this forum and I have a Droid MAXX, Galaxy S4, and Moto X and the only one that doesn't have the problem is the Moto x. I think it could be something with the phone itself or with the android update for it. Does anyone know when they are going to do another update for the OS?

lebem

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have occasionally experienced the same or a similar thing, symptomaticaly at any rate. In my case, while other devices worked they were all experiencing slower than normal load times and doing a quick ping showed higher than normal lag times and sometimes even dropped packets.

I came to the (perhaps erroneous) conclusion that some element of the configuration of the phone's network stack is particularly sensitive to network conditions.

In answer to your update question, according to Motorola's blog, there is an update in the works. It may or may not have any impact on this particular issue.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz