Moto X Camera update - will we get it on the Maxx?

Soapbubbles

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but since the hardware is pretty much identical as is software can we look forward to getting this camera update too? I haven't really seen much on it.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to say yes to all updates when it comes to these 4 phones the moto x ultra maxx and mini are all identical for the most part. There are small variations like battery size and charge pad capability but the OS is the same the camera is the same. So yes we will get an update for the camera but at this point any update is going to break root unless jcase can find a work around. Let me rephrase any update containing security patches will break root if they just pushed a fix for the camera I would guess root would survive.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would expect them to get the updates but not at the same time as the X variants.

People can knock Motorola and Verizon about updates all they want, but the DROID Bionic, DROID 4, and DROID RAZR Gingerbread (GingerBlur) phones all have a form of Jelly Bean available to them. They got there. Eventually.

Now look at the DROID Incredible 2 and Rezound by HTC...

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I would expect them to get the updates but not at the same time as the X variants.

People can knock Motorola and Verizon about updates all they want, but the DROID Bionic, DROID 4, and DROID RAZR Gingerbread (GingerBlur) phones all have a form of Jelly Bean available to them. They got there. Eventually.

Now look at the DROID Incredible 2 and Rezound by HTC...

Agree with you that Verizon takes care of the Droid line for the most part. I'm not concerned as much about an OS update as I am about existing functionality like the camera. I wish they would have done something like BlackBerry did with their BB 10 phones and make all features apps, so each could be updated individually if needed. Kind of like Touchless Controls and Droid Zap. Both can be updated through the Play Store. Would be nice if the camera was the same way.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Agree with you that Verizon takes care of the Droid line for the most part. I'm not concerned as much about an OS update as I am about existing functionality like the camera. I wish they would have done something like BlackBerry did with their BB 10 phones and make all features apps, so each could be updated individually if needed. Kind of like Touchless Controls and Droid Zap. Both can be updated through the Play Store. Would be nice if the camera was the same way.

I believe that part of the issue is with the camera drivers, and those aren't apps - they are part of the system and they need an OTA update. As you say, they updated touchless controls through the Play Store already. If they could do that with the camera, they would.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
9/23 at 9pm, punit soni, vp of product mgmt at motorola, said this on g+ "Goes through various carrier labs, gets approved and then we push it. I am optomistic things will move quickly. All improvements will come to all devices we launched recently."