As sickening as this makes me, I dropped my new Maxx on the ground this morning, shattering the display. Bad enough that the display does not work. However, the phone is still operational, in that I can make/receive bluetooth calls to/from it.

I've placed a claim with assurion(who said it is not on backorder). New one will be here monday. I'm wondering how I can wipe the phone before I send it back? It is now deactivated, as I activated my old phone for now.
    10-04-2013 12:53 PM
    Did you enable moto connect or android device manager? If you did, you can wipe the data from a web browser.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
    10-04-2013 12:55 PM
    Sorry to hear that!

If you have enabled android device manager you can remote wipe it from your pc. www.google.com/android/devicemanager. Hope this helps!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
    10-04-2013 12:58 PM
    Ok, I said the phone was already deactivated. I did activate moto connect, but unless you know something I dont, I wouldnt know how that would work. Would it work via wifi?
    10-04-2013 01:11 PM
    Ok, I said the phone was already deactivated. I did activate moto connect, but unless you know something I dont, I wouldnt know how that would work. Would it work via wifi?
    I would assume your Gmail account, which is what MotoConnect is linked to, would allow you to wipe. As long as the phone can turn on and your connected to a data signal (WiFi should be okay) you should be able to reset the device.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4
    10-04-2013 01:28 PM
    I would assume your Gmail account, which is what MotoConnect is linked to, would allow you to wipe. As long as the phone can turn on and your connected to a data signal (WiFi should be okay) you should be able to reset the device.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4
    ok, I will give it a shot. Still pissed off.....
    10-04-2013 01:31 PM
    I feel your pain. Mine slipped out of my shirt pocket from maybe 2' off the floor and cracked the screen and chipped the glass on the edges. I learned my lesson and have gone to an Otterbox Defender. Yup a little bulky but im used to it after having used it for a week.

I had to look at it his way. Im carrying around a portable computer worth almost $700. Its not just a cheap flip phone anymore. These glass screens break way to easy without some protection on them.

We are not the only ones that have cracked the screens on the Maxx. Get yourself some decent protection. Plenty of choices out there. I have dropped my phone with the Otterbox on it twice from about 4' onto a concrete floor with no problems.

I did have one of the Diztronic TPU cases on it for a short time, but the glass was still too exposed. The Defender was the right choice for me and it provided me with a holster as well. I suppose if i threw it face down on a rock pile the screen may still crack, but ive learned to control my fits of rage
    10-05-2013 06:45 AM
    If the phone isn't active moto connect won't work. Just do am fxz you don't need to be able to see the screen to do it. shut the phone off turn it on in fastboot by holding the volume rocker down and the power button at the same time for about 5 seconds then release you will be in fastboot. Now your phone up via USB start RSD Lite go to your fxz file and run RSD Lite this will wipe your phone clean. The only problem you will have is if you didn't have USB debugging checked I always leave this checked there is no reason not to leave it
    checked. hope this helps
    10-05-2013 10:31 AM
    If the phone isn't active moto connect won't work.
    Why won't it work over wifi?

The only problem you will have is if you didn't have USB debugging checked I always leave this checked there is no reason not to leave it
    checked.
    Sure there is a good reason. If you're phone is stolen and you have it checked, a knowledgable thief can use adb to access your phone that cannot happen with USB debugging unchecked.

[edit] Well, it can't happen if you have a lock screen with a pass code, pin, pattern, face unlock, etc.
    10-05-2013 09:37 PM
    Thanks all. I was able to wipe the phone through moto connect. New phone should be here tomorrow. As for the incident, not sure any case would have protected it. It fell face down onto a gravel road. A stone hit directly on the display panel.

As for the Otterbox defender, I had one of those on my old Droid Razr. That case is large. thing is, a stone directly on the panel would still break it.
    10-06-2013 03:01 PM