Droid MAXX Dropped once... cracked screen!!

Droidloyal

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had the new Droid MAXX for a week and dropped it once and multiple cracks shoot across the screen? Kevlar backing?. great, but it won't stop it from shattering my screen? Anyone else have problems with the delicacy of this phone? I previously had the Droid Razr and have dropped that more than once to just have it walk away with a slight scratch. The weight of the phone and glass coming to the edges I am sure plays a roll. I shouldn't have to feel like I am carrying a new born infant every time I pull out my phone?.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, the kevlar is more for show & scratch resistance than anything. It can't do much about the shock of the phone hitting a hard surface. I think you're right - the glass going to the edges means there isn't much there to absorb an impact if the phone is dropped. The shock goes right to the glass if it lands on an edge of the phone.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I put a bumper on mine because the otter box wasn't available when I got the phone. I haven't dropped it.. But I'm enjoying not having an otter box for once..

The screen has always been the weak spot of a smartphone.. Hope u get it fixed soon.

Using my Moto Droid Maxx

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Your not alone plenty of cracked screens on these phones. I dropped mine from less than 2' off the floor and it cracked all the way across and chipped the edge in 2 places.
I never liked the idea of having an Otterbox on my phone, but this phone needs one. I initially went with the Diztronic TPU case and then rethought it and got the Otterbox Defender.
The edge to edge glass on these phones crack way to easily. Get yourself a good case.

redddog

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely hate how fragile this thing is. It really is an egg shell. Ya know, they spend millions and millions designing these things to look freaking awesome and they do. But...you are then required to bulk the crap out of it or it will shatter at the slightest nudge.

And all this from a phone sold as rugged from gorilla glass and Kevlar.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely hate how fragile this thing is. It really is an egg shell. Ya know, they spend millions and millions designing these things to look freaking awesome and they do. But...you are then required to bulk the crap out of it or it will shatter at the slightest nudge.

And all this from a phone sold as rugged from gorilla glass and Kevlar.

Kevlar is for scratch resistance. If your phone falls on the edges you're risking a cracked screen. There is really no way around this other than not dropping the phone. I also wouldn't say this phone is any more fragile than any other phone. There are not an abnormal amount of complaints compared to other phones. Those that have the phone break will complain and those that don't break will not say a word. My friend has a Droid Maxx without a case and it landed on the top corner and left a dent in the top but no screen crack. This was from waist level on concrete.

Luck of the draw sadly. Sorry for your loss. :(

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Shannon Monahan

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had the new Droid MAXX for a week and dropped it once and multiple cracks shoot across the screen? Kevlar backing?. great, but it won't stop it from shattering my screen? Anyone else have problems with the delicacy of this phone? I previously had the Droid Razr and have dropped that more than once to just have it walk away with a slight scratch. The weight of the phone and glass coming to the edges I am sure plays a roll. I shouldn't have to feel like I am carrying a new born infant every time I pull out my phone?.

my first screen cracked after 1 week with a drop about 2 feet out of my shirt pocket.I use my insurance and they sent me a brand new replacement. My second screen crack after exactly one week after I receive the new phone. It dropped about 3 feet into them very soft soil. I contacted motorola and told them they may have a defective screen. Of course they disagree. I have had Motorola smartphone for over 4 years and have never cracked screen and it propped it from 4 to 5 feet.it is a very nice phone however like somebody else described I have to treat it like a baby.

bigv5150

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
my first screen cracked after 1 week with a drop about 2 feet out of my shirt pocket.I use my insurance and they sent me a brand new replacement. My second screen crack after exactly one week after I receive the new phone. It dropped about 3 feet into them very soft soil. I contacted motorola and told them they may have a defective screen. Of course they disagree. I have had Motorola smartphone for over 4 years and have never cracked screen and it propped it from 4 to 5 feet.it is a very nice phone however like somebody else described I have to treat it like a baby.

Wow two phones in a week my advice stop dropping your phone. People crack me up no pun intended you drop a phone from 2-3 feet and the glass breaks and you are so shocked. I don't see Motorola advertising if you drop the phone it won't break then when you do drop it you blame build quality. This type of issue is going to become more pronounced phones are being built with edge to edge glass. This is going to increase the risk of a break it's just fact. Don't want it to break buy a case if you don't want a case don't drop it. If you drove your RAM pickup into a tree would you say the build quality sucked Dodge says it's RAM tough it's supposed to be the toughest truck in the world. No you wouldn't because you would sound like an i.d.i.o.t. You drop your phone it breaks it's your fault unless the manufacturer specifically states it won't break from xyz height.

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people think that a phone should be indestructible, its made of glass. I treat every phone I have like its a newborn; I pay $650 for them. I don't use a case and I've never cracked a screen. period. If I decide to hand it to someone to take a picture I *always* note, it's a $650 phone. It's like owning a pair of glasses, do you drop them often? Hell no. Does the guy who bought a 250,000 Lambo avoid hitting pot holes? Hell yea they do. They avoid them like the plague.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Got to have a case of some sort. absolutely not an option for me to go naked. Even just with my silicone case it has legions of protection over having nothing

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Got to have a case of some sort. absolutely not an option for me to go naked. Even just with my silicone case it has legions of protection over having nothing

Agreed. There's no way I'd ever go without a case especially after I read how easy it was to crack the glass. I was going to get the shell holster case, but ended going with the better Otterbox. My little nephews always want to play with my phone so I wanted to make sure the phone had good enough protection.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
People are shocked when you drop a phone 3 feet and the glass cracks? Drop a water glass on your kitchen floor and tell me if it breaks. Why do we expect something different?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There is also some metal in the phone - does it make a bulldozer? Or a hammer? Of sort?

Posted via Android Central App

No but you're acting as if glass shouldn't crack just because it's built on a phone platform. It's glass and there is no way around that no matter how hard you try.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
No but you're acting as if glass shouldn't crack just because it's built on a phone platform. It's glass and there is no way around that no matter how hard you try.

That I agree with - a glass can and will break; I just didn't agree with analogies.

To the OP, sorry your phone broke, all we need to be is careful but accidents do happen.

Posted via Android Central App

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
There's are very few consumer products (not a wrench or screwdriver) that own that I wouldn't expect to be damaged if I dropped it, especially an electronic device.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This thread brings up a good point: That edge-to-edge glass looks terrific, but, at least with the current glass technology used, doesn't lend itself to robustness.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2