SlipGrip Car Dock with Defender Case Mini Review

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Well got my SlipGrip Car Dock in the other day and just got around to making something flat and smooth to mount it on.
Link for Slipgrip Car Docks
First Con is the suction cup is huge at 3 1/2" and will not stick to anything textured. In all fairness other docks i have used with smaller cups, had similar issues.
Shipping was fast from SlipGrips and i had it via USPS in 2-3 days.
After dropping my Maxx on day 2 and cracking the screen, i ended up going with the Otterbox Defender case. Thing is not many (if any) mounts will fit this phone with the defender case on it. I came across the Slipgrip Car Dock while searching around and found some reviews on it from a couple years ago over at the XDA Developers forum. The consensus was they made a decent mount. So for $24.95 plus shipping i figured it was worth a shot.

Pros:
Cut outs for Camera, Microphone, micro USB and headphone jack
Snaps into Dock securely and easily, can do with one hand, but releasing takes 2. Maybe with a little practice ill get it with one.
Phone release is offset so it does not cover power or volume buttons
Rugged looking construction but still mostly plastic construction except for the ball, steel pin for the suction cup clamp pivot and the 2 bolts for the adjustments.
Havent driven far with it, but no shake at all when driving.
Circular spline adjustment for rear pivot albeit plastic.
Made in USA

Cons:
Knobs are plastic and appear to have plastic threads so over-tightening could strip them out.
Large suction cup wont fit most plastic disks.
Suction cup requires smooth surface (he did tell me during our conversation that i would need a 90+mm disk to mount it on and that he sells one for larger cups $13.00 + shipping)
For a mount thats called a desktop mount, i expected it to stick to the kitchen counter which only has a very slight texture to it
The actual dock is glued to the mount and looks a little sloppy. Im sure it will hold up and you dont see it once its mounted so its no big deal.
No magnet for launching car apps etc. (not a big deal IMHO as i hardly ever use them and if i want to launch Car Home Ultra i can do it manually)
No micro USB connection. (knew this before buying and i just connect my cord before putting it in the dock)

There were three choices for a suction mount car dock, one had a long goose-neck so i eliminated that.
I believe the HV mount has a smaller cup and in my short conversation with them and an email i received he is calling the HV model Heavy Duty. I asked which model between the Desktop and HV would be best suited for using on my sloped dash. He suggested the Desktop as he thought it would give me more adjustment and allow me to tilt it downward towards the seating area.

The piece that the dock is stuck to i made out of some dark smoked lexan i had. I put 3 strips of double sided foam tape on it and im hoping it holds up. If not ill give something else a shot.

Ok now for the pics.

Last edited:

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
You... Are... A... God!

i was going to opt for a panavise belt clip adapter I had (square 4 screw deal meant to connect to a proclip or panavise in dash mount) and just instert the belt clip from my defender holster.

Now I don't have to !

Sent from my XT1080m using AC Forums mobile app.

jlebouton

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Will this easily mount to the windshield? As in putting the suction cup against the glass and there being enough clearance to orient the screen towards you...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan